Game Of Thrones

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Well, the city they are on their way to is another one built by slaves. Word has obviously reached this city that a 'free the slaves' army is heading their way, and they're trying to put the willies up them.

Hodor.

• Just sayin' The adventures of Aryah and the Hound would be a great show on it's own. So happy this show is back.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's rumours that the spin off books 'The Tales of Dunk & Egg' about a young prince and a knight travelling about Westeros might get made by HBO if they tv show catches up with the books. They're way less grizzly & badass though.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    I'm sure they can find a way to shoehorn in some tits and murder

The new episode was ill.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Okem said:
    There's rumours that the spin off books 'The Tales of Dunk & Egg' about a young prince and a knight travelling about Westeros might get made by HBO if they tv show catches up with the books. They're way less grizzly & badass though.

Still good reads though. I haven't seen the show since my free trial ended a couple of years ago, but I've read the books so I'm curious as to how the show is stacking up. I'll have to catch up on teh DVDs some day.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Okem said:

Still good reads though. I haven't seen the show since my free trial ended a couple of years ago, but I've read the books so I'm curious as to how the show is stacking up. I'll have to catch up on teh DVDs some day.
    I think the general opinion on the adaptation is overwhelmingly positive. I think the slight excess of scenes with unnecessary nudity is the only consistent grumble. There's a fair amount of sex in the books but it seems more gratuitous in the show.

I love the show, to the point where I now even see the scenes & characters from the books, that have not yet been covered in the show, through the prism of tv show. It's just done so well it just helps it all become more visually real in your mind.

Okem said:
    I think the slight excess of scenes with unnecessary nudity is the only consistent grumble.

Wut.

Read this again. Engage brain. Nudity on a tv show full of people hired because they're good looking... excessive?

DB_Cooper said:

I haven't seen the show since my free trial ended a couple of years ago, but I've read the books so I'm curious as to how the show is stacking up. I'll have to catch up on teh DVDs some day.

Wut.

Sssssssssssssssstttttttttrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmsssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

• that was the members of sigur ros getting coins hucked at them at the royal wedding.

when you play the game of indie darling, you win or you die.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I've watched every episode out of habit but never thought it was as amazing & compelling like other shows I watched regularly (Breaking Bad) mainly because the only character I thought was sympathetic and rooting for was Tyrion. I think Daenarys/Shakira is so annoying & her character is supposed to win you over with her charity/empathy but it comes across so self-serving and fake to me.

SPOILERS

This season is completely engrossing me so far with only 2 episodes in. I feel terrible for Theon, love The Hound/Arya dynamic, still love Tyrion, can't believe I actually like Jaime Lannister now and so much has already happened wheras the previous seasons the early episodes seemed meandering to me and just existed for setting up the story. That scene of the wedding pie after they cut into it after Joffrey was humiliating Tyrion made me laugh out loud. It looked like puss and was effective for conveying the excess & complacency of the "war is over lets enjoy the spoils" attitude the dim ones & joffrey sycophants at the wedding expressed. I think these two episodes so far are really entertaining and smart.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    edith head said:
    I've watched every episode out of habit but never thought it was as amazing & compelling like other shows I watched regularly (Breaking Bad) mainly because the only character I thought was sympathetic and rooting for was Tyrion. I think Daenarys/Shakira is so annoying & her character is supposed to win you over with her charity/empathy but it comes across so self-serving and fake to me.

SPOILERS

This season is completely engrossing me so far with only 2 episodes in. I feel terrible for Theon, love The Hound/Arya dynamic, still love Tyrion, can't believe I actually like Jaime Lannister now and so much has already happened wheras the previous seasons the early episodes seemed meandering to me and just existed for setting up the story. That scene of the wedding pie after they cut into it after Joffrey was humiliating Tyrion made me laugh out loud. It looked like puss and was effective for conveying the excess & complacency of the "war is over lets enjoy the spoils" attitude the dim ones & joffrey sycophants at the wedding expressed. I think these two episodes so far are really entertaining and smart.

These first 2 eps have been really great. There really should be something said for the writing that you can continue to off major players at such pace and still have such great content. Great stuff.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    My wife found this today...
    If Game of Thrones took place entirely on Facebook - Season 4 Premier

One of my favorites:

Here is the link to Season 3: GoT Facebook Season 3

She also found (contains season 1-3 spoilers)...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    My wife found this today...

She also found (contains season 1-3 spoilers)...

This was great!!

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    DOR said:

DOR that is awesome. Totally lines up with the speculation about the books (some of the details have changed slightly in the translation from the books to the TV show). It is missing a few things that will get revealed later one but otherwise, dead on.

**spoilers**

Damn, I liked the Viper. What an episode.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Now that was one hell of an episode. Next week's going to be fucking heavy as well. Can't believe the season is almost over and we'll have another year to wait.

The last few episodes have all been great. Only one left this fucking year! I want the Lannisters to all die. Apart from Tyrion. And Jamie.

Last episode was great. Maybe they squeezed too much in, but it was still fucking brilliant.

• im thinking arya blew her 'valar morghulis' wad a little early, no? i mean, she has a coin that says that any man in braavos has to do whatever she says, and she blows it on a boat ride? women. right?

She can't get up north to see John Snow. She has a friend in Bravos. Seems like a smart move. Where do you think Tyrion is headed? Looks like Varys realised he'd be found out for his part in it and is now on the run too.
    The Hound. He didn't actually die. I hope he makes a return.
    Tywin did actually die. He has been one of the best characters of the whole series. Bit gutted about that, even though he was a total bastard.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I think it's more of a secret handshake kind of deal. It signifies she's connected to a group of very powerful dangerous people that command great respect in Braavos. It was given to her so she could connect with Jaqen & those people if she needed too.

• Okem said:
    I think it's more of a secret handshake kind of deal. It signifies she's connected to a group of very powerful dangerous people that command great respect in Braavos. It was given to her so she could connect with Jaqen & those people if she needed too.

trying to find explanations about plot points that dont include spoilers is a herculean task, but i DID find this, to clarify for the both of us.

"The Faceless Men are a shadowy guild of assassins based in the Free City of Braavos who are famed for their ability to kill without leaving a trace and for being incredibly expensive. When Jaqen gave Arya the iron coin, he told her that if she ever wished to find him again she should give the coin to any Braavosi and say ÔÇ£Valar Morghulis.ÔÇØ From this, I think itÔÇÖs safe to assume that the iron coin is an item specific to the Faceless Men, something that would surely be well known to the people of Braavos. JaqenÔÇÖs ability to change his appearance obviously means the assassins can look like anyone, so, as far as the shipÔÇÖs captain knows, Arya is a Faceless Man in the guise of a young girl."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Dinklage is really grating this season.

His accent is downright comical.

He's overdoing it.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Maybe they squeezed too much in

No way! Most of the episodes have been all padding. This one actually felt like we are moving forward.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Dinklage is really grating this season.

His accent is downright comical.

He's overdoing it.

Agreed, emphatically.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    The Hound. He didn't actually die. I hope he makes a return.

Not having read the books - and I know, the show has deviated - but this seems fairly obvious, especially with the episode being bookended with his bro also not having died after some pretty serious injuries. I did read up The Mountain's fan wiki and also hope to be caught up on the books by the time the next season rolls around. But the Hound seems poised to be even more mangled but still alive in Season 5.

Also, r.e. Rootless, man, on one hand I like that you're critiquing an actor's performance so widely praised; on the other, you have got to be one of the least fun people to watch a TV show with. It's a good point about the accent, but how far down the rabbit hole you want to go on the lang crit of a TV show based on a fanstasy series written by a dude from the East Coast and taking place in another world? His Westori is alright by me because god (new and old) knows the proper Casterly Rock dialect.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    It's more than just the accent.

He's taking the tortured thespian thing a little far for my tastes is all.

The whole thing is wearing on me.

Holler next time you're SF and we can watch some quality TV -- I promise I'm not as cranky in real life.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Check out yer man who played Daario Naharis in season 3;