Let's talk about pizza

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    RHS pizza dude has some goat cheese for you and you must deal.

I did say "Perchance a little piquant for some palates".

When I was young, less well-travelled and unschooled in matters gastronomic, I too would give goats cheese the finger crucifix. I had discovered, in the church of deep-crust, the trinity of ham, mushroom and pepperoni and believed it to be holy.

If I have learned f*ck-all else, I have come to learn that the magic we find in music reflects, in microcosm, all that is magic in life.

In an otherwise anodyne sea of pop major chords, so we come to experience goat cheese as that interesting and mysterious augmented jazzy chord that begs us to take a dietary road-less-travelled.

AKA

Harden the-f*ck up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Can u put weed in the cheese and the THC will get carried by the proteins?

Or lace the olive oil and use that?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    batmon said:

I'm sure of it, yes. Weedpower goes into fats very easily.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    batmon said:

I'm sure of it, yes. Weedpower goes into fats very easily.

Could one incorporate it into the dough?

batmon said:

Is the part where I reveal I don't really know what's in pizza dough, thereby ejecting myself from this thread?

Sure. I made weed butter in a crockpot. Melted tons of weed into the butter and strained it out. Kinda clunky so my butter's green, but I cut it with plain butter and bake it into chocolate chip cookies and it works. Doesn't act exactly like butter, but I know the pro-sumer weed cooks get the THC into coconut oil and ghee other high-fat oily things without a hint of green or taste. I know a guy who simmers it into milk and makes lattes with it.
    So yeah: any oils will carry the THC, and baking doesn't seem to kill it. I'd go with the olive oil and brush it on, that's seriously as easy as throwing weed in a jar of olive oil and waiting a day or two.

As with all edible weed products though: it's a dangerous proposition to have my munchies satisfied by more munchie-inducers. Especially if it tastes good.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Hey! Where did Pizza Guy go?

LaserWolf said:
    Hey! Where did Pizza Guy go?

gang members driving around with lights off waiting for people to flash them and BOOM shot him it's dangerous deliveries special report at 11

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    batmon said:

Is the part where I reveal I don't really know what's in pizza dough, thereby ejecting myself from this thread?
    white bread flour, semolina, olive oil, yeast, salt, sugar.

It would probably be easier to put in anything else but the dough. The dough is probably the most complicated part of a pizza, chemistry wise.

You could mix some of your weed butter with some garlic and brush that on to cooked dough, either in little balls or flattened a cut into strips.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Okem said:
    The dough is probably the most complicated part of a pizza, chemistry wise.

As the saying goes, cooking is art, but baking is science.

• DJ_Enki said:
    Okem said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    The dough is probably the most complicated part of a pizza, chemistry wise.

As the saying goes, cooking is art, but baking is science.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

big fan of neapolitan here.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    batmon said:

this article contains lots of suggestions:

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/recipes/201207/weed-and-stoner-food-recipes-robertas-brooklyn

pot pesto...

I always thought heat was necessary to relase the THC in the weed, hence the whole melting in butter thing, but maybe the oil sucks it out? I guess there's some science to weed cuisine too.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    Thin crust = people that dont realy like pizza

I usually rock the thin crust, but a had a couple of months where I had left my pizza pans at my brother's place and was making Sicilain-style. I'm not mad at itÔÇöit allows you to go much heavier on the toppings and do a few things that would just sog out a thin crust. Chicken tossed in buffalo sauce (yeah, I'll occassionally do chicken on a pizza) with gorgonzola, ricotta, on a 50/50 red sauce/ranch dressing base is heart-clogging goodness.

And I don't use pizza stones, I use perforated pizza pans. Crisps up the crust without over-cooking the top at 425-450.

The lady and I are kinda trying to eat a little more healthy, but I'm really hungry right now and after perusing the menu at a spot in my old college town, I really want to make one of these:

BBQ steak and mushrooms with creme fraiche and cheddar
    Sausage, caramelized onion, creme fraiche and bleu cheese

I'd be swapping sour cream for craime fraiche though. Ain't nobody got time for that. But since I'm making corned beef this weekend, is that too much unhealthy goodness? I plan to make corned beef sandwiches with homemade slaw and jarlsberg on seeded rye with the leftovers during the week. My conscience is battling my jonesing right now.

Had an amazing clam pizza this weekend. Totally going to rip that off and make my own next weekend. So godddamn good. Dough brushed with olive oil and clam juice, clams, garlic, oragano, mozzarella, and parmesan.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I made a cassoulet pizza once. It was good.

http://thirstyreader.com/more-than-just-recipes-cassoulet-pizza/

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I've heard of people using "self-clean" but that scares me.

The only oven I ever had with self clean, it was a cycle and you couldn't open the door until it was done. If you put a pizza in there, it would be a little pile of ash by the time you could get to it.

You have to cut the bolt that locks the door shut while the oven is in its self-cleaning cycle. Unless the oven is so old is doesn't have this safety feature. I've never hacked an oven, but I've thought about it. I'm a chef at an Italian restaurant, so I can slang a pie pretty much whenever I want. I like to work "off menu" sometimes with a cheeseburger pizza (ketchup and mustard for sauce, saut├®ed ground beef, bacon, cheese, pickles and red onions). You arrive at this point after you've done everything else.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Simplicity rules, tomato, fresh basil and buffalo mozzarella on a thin crust

waxjunky said:
    You arrive at this point after you've done everything else.

Check out the menu at this spot in my old college town. Talmbout "Fuck it, burrito pizza. Let's do this."

Antonio's Pizza menu

waxjunky said:

Oh, shit. I make an excellent white bean and rosemary soup that could easily be converted into a pizza sauce. I may have to make that happen.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    so many pages and no mention of sopresatta or guanciale?
    hot honey?
    ricotta dollops?
    EGG?

AKallDay said:
    hot honey?
    ricotta dollops?
    EGG?

I go hard with ricotta dollops, and sopresatta, sweet capicola, and hot capicola have all made appearances on my pies (usually in the company of roasted red and yellow peppers). I haven't foxed with teh egg, although I am intrigued and will certainbly bust this move some day.

Now tell me more about this hot honey.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I had a pizza that had quail eggs cracked on top and then baked. I approve.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    AKallDay said:
    hot honey?
    ricotta dollops?
    EGG?

Now tell me more about this hot honey.

One of the enduring food trends of the last 20 years (prob a lot longer) has been the introduction of sugar to savory foods. Sweet & sour, Thai Sweet chilli, honey-roast peanuts (love 'em), etc etc

but I have to draw the line somewhere and ask IS NOTHING SACRED? I am no child. Black coffee, anchovies, marmite, plain chocolate, English mustard, celeriac - give me that bitter pill and I'll swallow it whole and ask for seconds.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    re hot honey:

various iterations exist, my favorite is mikes hot honey which is honey infused with chilies and it is delicious and spicy. i put it into salad dressings and sandwiches and use it in marinades. a pantry must! i think you can get it online. i buy mine at paulie gee's in person.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    EGG?

nothing's messing with Little Dom's breakfast pie in Los Angeles

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    OK, this carrot has been repeatedly dangled, so I shall bite.

Pizza is made with dough, pies are made with pastry. What other pies are made with dough? Did this terminology start with the song?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    OK, at home, to me, pizza is something simple.
    I had to look up some of these ingredients.
    Fancy meats - that's fine, I like fancy meats. I am not going to get truely great regional Italian meats in Portland. When I want something really good I will mix and smoke it myself. Here in Portland I like to get something from Olympic Provisions, though I usually don't use them for pizza toppings. http://www.olympicprovisions.com/
    Most times I just use what ever is on hand.

Hot honey. That is fine for a recipe that calls for sweet and hot, but that is not my pizza.
    But why not just make your own hot honey, how hard could it be?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    waxjunky said:

Nice blog!

I need to try this recipe when I'm not being a lazy ass.

Duderonomy said:
    OK, this carrot has been repeatedly dangled, so I shall bite.

Pizza is made with dough, pies are made with pastry. What other pies are made with dough? Did this terminology start with the song?

I don't know the exact origins, but I can tell you that growing up in a mixed Italian and Irish neighborhood, the Italians were adamant about both the use of the word pie, and the use of the word gravy for tomato sauce. There were near-brawls in my high school lunchroom vis a vis the sauce/gravy debate.