bay area/ LA area recomendacciones

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
city guide is a little dusty, so why not reboot an old classic soulstrut pastime....geographic recommendation thread!!!

anyway...what are the cant miss hole in the wall spots in the bay and LA?
burmese in the east bay?
soul food on the west coast??!!?
and i hesitate, but might as well rekindle the ancient debate "best mexican spot in LA or in the Mission"

dope venues to see good music in the next two weeks? cant miss bands?

record spots you dont mind putting me up on? my girlfriend and i like fleas/swaps as well as record stores, so we may check a couple out
as it stands, i'll pop into groove merchant but dont have much else on my agenda

my girl knows LA, but its her first time to the bay area. i would try to bring her to my favorite spots, but free lunch at the hare krisna temple might not be as appealing to her.

bye bye east coast snow!

Comments

• Places in SF that have long lines on the regular:

Tartine - I am a fan. I love the bread pudding, except when it's cheap ass banana.

Bi-rite creamery

Burma Superstar on Clement. If that's too crowded, they have a sister restaurant down the street that is cheaper with a different menu.

All of these will probably be contested by people on here, but I moved out of SF about 7 years ago. I am disconnected. Those places are all consistent though.

Park Life is a cool art book/print store on Clement right near Burma Superstar. OG Barry Mcgees, Claire Rojas, and that type of stuff.

I like Little Dehli for Indian. It's right near the Powell street car turnaround, which is also the home of the escalator for the Organized Konfusion stress video. I always big out how they go from shirtless in the snow to riding the escalator in one of the biggest tourist spots on the opposite side of the country.

Little Star pizza is good.

I love burritos from Taqueria Celaya in South San Francisco (which is not in SF, but a whole different city), but there's no point in going there unless you want to come hang out at my house.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    In the Mission, El Farolito for the al Pastor Super Suisa (IMO superior to a burrito - go ahead and hate away - deserving of its own thread probably). Taqueria Cancun is another popular spot, but the al Pastor at Farolito is my personal favorite (obviously different people have different favorite Mission Taqueria choices). Another buddy of mine swears by Taqueria Vallarta on 24th St - it's decent but a bit pricey for the portions you get.

There is a Burma Superstar in Oakland on Telegraph and also a newish one in Alameda. Essential spot. Other East Bay recommendations...

The Ethiopian / Eritrean spots on Telegraph Ave are also not to be missed. Everyone here has their favorite they swear by, but the following are all good IMO: Addis Ababa, Cafe Eritrea D'Afrique, Asmara, Cafe Colucci, etc etc etc...

Indian / Pakistani food for me is all about Indus Village on San Pablo in Berkeley. Vik's Chaat Corner is a classic Berkeley institution. If you want to ball out a bit, Ajanta is undeniable and they have a killer prix fixe 5 course meal. It's on Solano Ave x The Alameda. Definitely the spot to dress up a bit and take the lady for a nice meal.

Speaking of SP, there's a newish BBQ place on San Pablo a block up from Dwight called Smoke. Nice food and nice owners.

There are plenty of record shops in Oakland now, I'm pleased to report:

Stranded is pricey but they have a great selection of titles in quality condition. Ian is the co-owner and a great dude. Telegraph Ave x Alcatraz.

Vamp is cool but a bit disorganized. Pricing fluctuates dramatically between genres. Scores to be had on a good day for sure. There is a nice lunch spot next door called Marrow with a chef from Napa who has worked with some of the greats up there.

Econo-Jam Records is the newest. They get cool stuff in there and are constantly underpricing things. Fantastic dollar bin.

PM me if you'd like the contact info of other private dealers in the area. There are a lot and all pretty nice with fair prices, for the most part.

Just to finish off, it's worth mentioning that Thomas Keller's "cheap" Yountville spots are great: Bouchon & Ad Hoc. Heading up to Napa & Sonoma can be fun when in the right mood. It's totally easy to rock the area well and check out some non-touristy spots. Hit up Wax_Junky on here for the recommendations if interested.

• tripledouble said:
    dope venues to see good music in the next two weeks? cant miss bands?

If you're going to be in LA next Sarurday (the 22nd) I would definitely recommend you see Chicano Batman at La Cita (downtown). Their new album smokes and La Cita is the place to see these guys play live.

I think Rose Bowl Swap Meet is that Sunday (in Pasadena). Probably LA's largest Swap Meet. Not sure what the record scene is like there...

For digging definitely hit up Record Jungle and Records LA at The Last Bookstore

Poast photos!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    For burritos, the hip-hop shit is to go to Papalote, owned by DJ Mr. E, who also whooped Bobby Flay's ass in a salsa throwdown. And I recommend Suppenkuche to anybody and everybody (except alcoholics and vegetarians). Just be prepared to wait for a bit for a table.

MusicaDelAlma already covered the East Bay record spots pretty well (so nice to not have to go to SF for records anymore!). The only other ones to mention are Dave's Record Shop and Groove Yard, though they both lean to the pricey side of things for what they offer.

Oakland has stepped up like crazy in the restaurant department. Again, MusicaDelAlma covered the key spots. One of my new favorites for slightly-upscale-but-not-too-expensive is Bellanico on Park Blvd.

If you're going to do the Sonoma/wine country thing, I highly recommend Healdsburg. Or, if you're feelings even more adventurous, just explore the Dry Creek region--all sorts of dope little wineries up there.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    In the Mission, El Farolito for the al Pastor Super Suisa (IMO superior to a burrito - go ahead and hate away - deserving of its own thread probably). Taqueria Cancun is another popular spot, but the al Pastor at Farolito is my personal favorite (obviously different people have different favorite Mission Taqueria choices). Another buddy of mine swears by Taqueria Vallarta on 24th St - it's decent but a bit pricey for the portions you get.

There is a Burma Superstar in Oakland on Telegraph and also a newish one in Alameda. Essential spot. Other East Bay recommendations...

The Ethiopian / Eritrean spots on Telegraph Ave are also not to be missed. Everyone here has their favorite they swear by, but the following are all good IMO: Addis Ababa, Cafe Eritrea D'Afrique, Asmara, Cafe Colucci, etc etc etc...

Indian / Pakistani food for me is all about Indus Village on San Pablo in Berkeley. Vik's Chaat Corner is a classic Berkeley institution. If you want to ball out a bit, Ajanta is undeniable and they have a killer prix fixe 5 course meal. It's on Solano Ave x The Alameda. Definitely the spot to dress up a bit and take the lady for a nice meal.

Speaking of SP, there's a newish BBQ place on San Pablo a block up from Dwight called Smoke. Nice food and nice owners.

There are plenty of record shops in Oakland now, I'm pleased to report:

Stranded is pricey but they have a great selection of titles in quality condition. Ian is the co-owner and a great dude. Telegraph Ave x Alcatraz.

Vamp is cool but a bit disorganized. Pricing fluctuates dramatically between genres. Scores to be had on a good day for sure. There is a nice lunch spot next door called Marrow with a chef from Napa who has worked with some of the greats up there.

Econo-Jam Records is the newest. They get cool stuff in there and are constantly underpricing things. Fantastic dollar bin.

PM me if you'd like the contact info of other private dealers in the area. There are a lot and all pretty nice with fair prices, for the most part.

Just to finish off, it's worth mentioning that Thomas Keller's "cheap" Yountville spots are great: Bouchon & Ad Hoc. Heading up to Napa & Sonoma can be fun when in the right mood. It's totally easy to rock the area well and check out some non-touristy spots. Hit up Wax_Junky on here for the recommendations if interested.

Concur on the food recs. San Pablo Blvd is one of my favorite stretches in the Bay Area. I might also add Sa Wad Dee for Thai and Huong Tra for Vietnamese (they are across the street from one another). I've also pulled a few nice reasonably-priced pieces from Dave's Record Shop, also on San Pablo Blvd.

Lots of fun places to eat near the Berkeley campus, as well. My last good meal was at Musashi...

http://pigsaredelicious.com/

• I don't know shit about the Bay Area anymore but it's San Pablo Avenue bruh

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't know shit about the Bay Area anymore but it's San Pablo Avenue bruh

True.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Musashi on Dwight and Shattuck??? Don't like that place at all.

If you're up on Telegraph by UC Berkeley they opened up a Gordos burrito place across the street from Rasputin's Music. Other good places in the area are Racha Cafe for Thai on Telegraph and Dwight. Across from there is Pho K&K. If you're down in Oakland Chinatown there's Pho Hoa Loa on 10th St, Shan Dong - northern Chinese across the street, Battambang - Cambodian food on Broadway, Phom Penh - another Cambodian place on 8th St. Ditto on all the Ehtiopian Places in Berkeley/Oakland.

• Gordo's across from Rasputins? OMG

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

For digging definitely hit up Record Jungle and Records LA at The Last Bookstore

seconded.

For food, I'm waving th sushi flag for sugar fish.

Not Mexican but con sabor in LA off Venice Ave has something like 50 different types of papusas that'll make you flip your fucking mind.

Haha. Wait, what?

HEY BROS, THERES THIS TIGHT PLACE CALLED CHIPOTLE ACROSS FROM THE WELLS FARGO YOU SHOULD HIT UP

• i'm serious in my omg diss gordos you diss yourself

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Burritos are categorically wack.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Burritos are categorically wack.

nah.

Too much filler, bro.

Beans and rice are supposed to go on the side of the main dish.

• leave that plate full of refried beans with an enchilada in the middle down there in TX bruh.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    leave that plate full of refried beans with an enchilada in the middle down there in TX bruh.

Let me know when you are ready to talk about non-gringofied Mexican food.

Because burritos and Tex-Mex are BOTH made for gueros.

HEY BR0S THERES THIS PLACE CALLED GORDOZ - MY GULLET HASN'T FELT THE SAME SINCE

• my pals I am happy to eat (and talk about) non gringofied mexican food but don't need to prove my bona fides to you via soulstrut.

burritos are good. the end.

I actually didn't mean to go the what's most authentic route.

This woulda been better:

If I'm slaving all day in the fields and El Jefe ain't trying to give me a break for lunch, please do go ahead and throw everything and the kitchen sink into a giant tortilla so I can eat it standing up in record time. Otherwise, I'll take a plate and a fork and my food properly segregated. Muchas gracias.

• there is a time and a place for everything except Chipotle

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    there is a time and a place for everything except Chipotle

Okay, we can agree on that.

• ... and fuck the dumb shit I been eating Gordos since the 1980s. I had a nopales taco and pozole for lunch yesterday I'll still fuck up a gringo ass burrito in a minute.

back on track, I haven't been to any of these new Bay Area record shops. Am I missing anything or nah? I found some surprisingly decent shit just at the old Telegraph spots last trip (not mindblowing mind you but hey... I was happy to kill an hour or two). Also I drove by Laney but it wasn't on? Am I missing something?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Gordo's across from Rasputins? OMG

Purists will forever vouch for the location on Solano, but I gotta say the spot on telegraph is convenient for a post dig burrito.

If you're in the east bay on the weekend the ashby flea is worth hitting up. I haven't been in quite some time but I've heard people can still come up there.

Stranded easily gets the coolest records through its doors of any of the East Bay shops. The pricing can be semi-offensive, but for rare jazz and psych, the place has a lot to offer. They are very mellow with trades, though, so it can take the sting off the high prices. They have a copy of Stark Reality on the wall right now, along with half the Tribe LP jazz catalog. The guys that run it are knowledgable and pretty chill. They are always down to cut deals if you are buying a few things. Bring beer and cigarettes!

Vamp is somewhat of a clusterfuck of disorganization, making it frustrating to dig, but on the flipside you will find excellent shit randomly hiding in weird places. They still haven't figured out how to get good new arrivals in the door other than letting people consign there. This is the place to get cool local 45s for chill prices.

Econo-Jam Records is a new shop run by rockist dudes who are still getting the hang of pricing such foreign genres as Jazz and Soul. :killin_it:
    They by far have the best location of the three shops to get in nice records, so I hope they can figure out how to really work their game.

I probably do most of my shopping at flea markets, the Berkeley shops, and maybe once a week at the Oakland spots. Not complaining at all.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    The Burma Superstar on Tele is terrible. I went there within the last year and it was bad. Noodles overcooked and everything was overly salted/garlicky. The one in Alameda is way better. I haven't been to the SF locations.
    Brown Sugar Cafe has some good soul food.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    Texas was and still is a part of Mexico anyway, I don't see what you guys are fighting about.

ppadilha said:
    Texas was and still is a part of Mexico anyway, I don't see what you guys are fighting about.

We're not fighting. Homie's just struggling to come around to the reality that: BURRITOS SUCK!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    ppadilha said:

We're not fighting. Homie's just struggling to come around to the reality that: BURRITOS SUCK!

are chimichangas ok?

ppadilha said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    ppadilha said:

are chimichangas ok?

A fried burrito? Hell to the naw.