Thirty Somethings

2»

Comments

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    gomez80 said:
    I am currently 33 years old and in 5 months I will be turning 34. For awhile I have been ignoring the fact that I am in my thirties, but I can no longer ignore the truth in front of me. I am afraid of what the thirties have in store for me, it has it's ups and downs so far but for the most part it bums me out.

I was thinking since I believe some of you guys are older than me you can give me some insight, advice or suggestions?

Peace

I'm about a year older than you but from what you recount it seems more a 'fear of the unknown' you're expressing? As long as you maintain regular excercise (brain and body), are working (at something you don't despise) or somewhat financially secure I wouldn't sweat it. There seems to be a bunch of good advice in this thread.

As someone of a similar age I'd say my only real issue is an economic one. I've watched my country (hint: a small island on the western edge of Europe ) turn from a once prosperous place to an economic dung heap in the last five or so years. I've bounced from one short term contract to another and spent tracts of time unemployed (not for want of trying otherwise). I've watched a lot of close friends leave here with more to follow in the next while. I'm now faced with the prospect of emigrating myself (with little more than the shirt on my back) in the next month or so because I don't think it's ever going to turn around fully and I feel I've given it the best shot I could. But like others have said you have to take the reins yourself and steer whatever way you think you should. I'm lucky that I don't have any mouths to feed and put what little money I had towards clearing all my college loans. So I can walk out of here a free man so to speak. Others are trapped by debts and responsibilities and I really feel for them. Unemployment can be soul destroying.

But it could always be worse. Everyday above ground is a good one.

• co-sign on the extreme hangovers.....ugghhh

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    This has weighed on me. Depression and obsession with time, and round numbers for that matter, can be a bitch to overcome. However, there's something to be said about worrying about what you're going to be doing in the future in terms of decades. It could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I don't get the hangover complaints. It's just dehydration. Drink water before you pass out. Problem solved.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I don't get the hangover complaints. It's just dehydration. Drink water before you pass out. Problem solved.

Hey Harvey,

You sound like one of those old academics in my field that can drink younger cats under the table. I have paid the price when I tried to keep pace with those dudes at the bar. Now, I just pass on those extra 'complimentary rounds' they offer when I'm at my limit. Aging means learning when to say 'when.'

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Yes. Also - enough sleep to give your body time to recover helps, too.

It could also be choice of drink.
    Jameson and Hennessy - I don't feel it the next day. Anything else - especially if it has high sugar content - blech.

I drank one of these for J'Ouvert and was fine for the Labour Day Parade the next day.

I'll have two glasses of wine with dinner and I feel tired and fuzzy in the brain til mid-morning.

• I wake up in teh middle of the night with a headache every time I drink, there is no difference in the the type of alcohol, and I am not yet 30.

Trying to connect age with hangover and alcohol type is ridiculous.

• GatorToof said:
    I wake up in teh middle of the night with a headache every time I drink, there is no difference in the the type of alcohol, and I am not yet 30.

Change your name to TumorToof after the MRI.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    I wake up in teh middle of the night with a headache every time I drink, there is no difference in the the type of alcohol, and I am not yet 30.

I can drink Grey Goose all night long and wake up feeling fine the next day. But Smirnoff and some cheaper brands fuck me up. I have chatted with friends about this, and they feel the same way. Could be psychosomatic, who knows.

Regardless, I think there IS a difference not just in the type of alcohol, but in the brand (ingredients, purity, etc.).

The tannins (I'm guessing) in some wines leave me with a headache the next day after a few glasses--but I can drink a bottle of other wines and am fine. I find that I can be prone to fist fights when I drink rum or rye (so I avoid), but am otherwise a fun-loving peaceful dude on all other libations.

And yes, as others have mentioned, I also can't drink the way I could when I was in my 20s. I'm not sure if it's because I party way less, or because I am getting less sleep (baby-R).

• parallax said:
    GatorToof said:

I can drink Grey Goose all night long and wake up feeling fine the next day. But Smirnoff and some cheaper brands fuck me up. I have chatted with friends about this, and they feel the same way. Could be psychosomatic, who knows.

Regardless, I think there IS a difference not just in the type of alcohol, but in the brand (ingredients, purity, etc.).

If you and your friends feel the same way it could be a regional thing, however; it was probably more related to the weather. If you drink Smirnoff when it is cold and rainy then you might feel more hungover, in comparison to if you drink Grey Goose when the weather is pleasant. Amount of sleep, diet, company, ect all influence your taste.

• Bill Nye over here ^^^

Are you real?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Turning 32 on Ground Hogs day...

For the hangover: before your old ass passes out...take 1 multivitamin, 1 super B complex vitamin and body the shit out of that tap water...straight from the sink.

Depression:...my age doesn't bum me out. But I will get down if I don't have my shit in order...Finances?...Keep em' in check. Job/Career? Keep it progressing or admit that you are in a line of work you hate and get out of it intelligently. Family? Stay in touch with them...they are getting older and you can't take em' for granted. Not calling my family is one of the quickest ways for me to catch myself getting bummed out...I have an uncle who is 70, my Aunt has pancreatic cancer, my Dad and Mom are divorced and on the verge of being legitimately old as shit...my grandma is 90...basically everyone is lookin' super mortal right about now and not calling to say 'hello' every week or so will make me feel like a sack of dicks really quick. Which is also another reason to keep the finances in check...I'm assuming that I'm going to be financially taking care of some old fuckers that I love and that can scare the shit out of me.

Activity: Surfing and basketball have really done the trick for me. I have to stretch before I play ball now...happened ever since I turned 30.

The cold hard reality of your age: Ehhhh...no biggie man. 30's isn't old. I have a feeling we need to enjoy what we have now because one day you will be legitimately old.

PS-I suggest retiring the grape backwoods blunts and getting a vaporizer. Doesn't look as cool and there are a lot less hip-hop quotes that pay homage to it...but it seems to be healthier.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The type of booze you drink has a huge impact on the degree of hangover.

Quality Tequila is among the least hangover-inducing beverages. Conversely, bad Tequila is about the worst. Also bad - Gin, Scotch and other highly aged spirits and anything sweet.

Red wine has a number of things that can affect you badly (though it varies a lot from person to person) - tannins, histamines and sulfites being the main culprits.

But yeah, pound that water. Don't take aspirin or ibuprofen before bed unless you want to end up with an ulcer.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Gibbo said:

As someone of a similar age I'd say my only real issue is an economic one. I've watched my country (hint: a small island on the western edge of Europe ) turn from a once prosperous place to an economic dung heap in the last five or so years. I've bounced from one short term contract to another and spent tracts of time unemployed (not for want of trying otherwise). I've watched a lot of close friends leave here with more to follow in the next while. I'm now faced with the prospect of emigrating myself (with little more than the shirt on my back) in the next month or so because I don't think it's ever going to turn around fully and I feel I've given it the best shot I could. But like others have said you have to take the reins yourself and steer whatever way you think you should. I'm lucky that I don't have any mouths to feed and put what little money I had towards clearing all my college loans. So I can walk out of here a free man so to speak. Others are trapped by debts and responsibilities and I really feel for them. Unemployment can be soul destroying.

And here I thought Iceland economy was kinda bangin'? #jokes

• Horseleech said:

Quality Tequila is among the least hangover-inducing beverages. Conversely, bad Tequila is about the worst. Also bad - Gin, Scotch and other highly aged spirits and anything sweet.

Red wine has a number of things that can affect you badly (though it varies a lot from person to person) - tannins, histamines and sulfites being the main culprits.

But yeah, pound that water. Don't take aspirin or ibuprofen before bed unless you want to end up with an ulcer.

It is subjective, though.

Tannins, histamines and sulfites are just used by wine makers and grape growers as a mark-up language.

"My Cab Sav grapes have more tannins then theirs...so buy mine."

• haha

Really Gator? Tell us more...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    haha

Yeah, I'd also love to hear all his wisdom elaborated down to detail...

US microbrews gave me some of the worst hangovers ever. Overhopped syrupy shit eats through your brains and stomach like battery acid.

Cosign with M**e on top shelf tequila offering sorrow-less intoxication. Same goes for artisanal Mezcal, I actually never had a hangover from any of the good shit. I occasionally woke up still drunk the day after but never any pain. Bad beer, cheap wine, mixed drinks, refined sugar and well liquor are to be avoided as you're closing in on 40. Cigarettes can really enhance a hangover. Rum is good as well. Mixed drinks only with fresh, home made juice and un-refined sugar.

• steer clear of this...at any age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao-Lao

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    white_tea said:

And here I thought Iceland economy was kinda bangin'? #jokes

Not quite that far west man, but you're close. Replace the 'c' with 'r'. ha, ha.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    steer clear of this...at any age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao-Lao

"Various flavoured lao-Laos are made by macerating such additives as honey or scorpions."

:dead:

• what's "young".. what's "old"... it's all vague.

To a 20 year old, 10 is young and 40 is old...

to a 40 year old, 20 is young and 60 is old...

to a 60 year old, 40 is young and 80 is old...

to an 80 year old, 60 is young and 100 is old...

so where are we on the scale... because there are millions of people who think we're both young and old all at the same time...

30s is both young and old depending on the age of the person who's asking the question.

I ain't 40 yet, but the other day I had a 54-year old call me a "baby"... and at the same time, my parents could call him a baby because they're mid-70s...

keep it in perspective. never think you're too young or too old because you're both and neither all at the same time

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    Horseleech said:

It is subjective, though.

Tannins, histamines and sulfites are just used by wine makers and grape growers as a mark-up language.

"My Cab Sav grapes have more tannins then theirs...so buy mine."

• Frank said:
    HOLLAFAME said:
    haha

Yeah, I'd also love to hear all his wisdom elaborated down to detail...

US microbrews gave me some of the worst hangovers ever. Overhopped syrupy shit eats through your brains and stomach like battery acid.

Cosign with M**e on top shelf tequila offering sorrow-less intoxication. Same goes for artisanal Mezcal, I actually never had a hangover from any of the good shit. I occasionally woke up still drunk the day after but never any pain. Bad beer, cheap wine, mixed drinks, refined sugar and well liquor are to be avoided as you're closing in on 40. Cigarettes can really enhance a hangover. Rum is good as well. Mixed drinks only with fresh, home made juice and un-refined sugar.

:crazy: If you are saying you know more about hangover than I do, then I certainly agree.

Btw, wisdom has nothing to do with it. I think you meant to say applied organic chemistry. :beerbang:

• approaching 40 myself and am not too worried about it.
    some great advice got given early on, before it turned into drunkards' coping methods 202.
    it hasnt even been a conscious thing, but i rarely drink anymore. somehow, i cant even drink redwine (which i grew up with in my family) without falling asleep shortly after.

but my 30s were amazing on most fronts and equal if not better than my 20s
    cant wait for the next ten years!!!

• I'm hurting from 15 mins of halftime street football yesterday.

But that's mostly because we were on asphalt; I'm used to grass

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    steer clear of this...at any age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao-Lao

In Thailand it's Lao Khao, and that shit gave me a 2 day hangover.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Truth be told, I loved my thirties.

Old enough to have learned lessons, young enough to still use them.

Enjoy yourself, act accordingly, and put the midlife crises on hold.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'll be 47 in two weeks. Fell down from a standing position while ice-skating the other day and it hurt so fucking much I thought I broke my wrist, elbow and ass.

• dj_cityboy said:
    fuck i'll be 40 this year and have a 41/4 mth old

w00t! Turned 40 in August and have a 9 month old here.

Good advice all around so far. I only drink a couple nights a week now, partly because I don't metabolize as quickly as I used to, partly because my sleep schedule is now 10-5 instead of 2-8.

Two things that I feel keep me in good shape:

- stretching

- walking

I got a daily calisthenics routine that I've been doing for close to 20 years, and I try to take an hour walk 5 days a week. Used to ride my bike to work every day, but moved too far from the job for that to be feasible.

Oh shit, also puzzles: crosswords, logic, etc. Keep that mind active.