Gym Appreciation!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Hey,

With the snowy/icy weather we've had in the 'Big East,' the gym membership has really paid for itself on the shoveling tip. Since the snow hasn't been that deep, I've decided to 'man up' and get the exercise (instead of using the snowblower). I've been sonnin' the young boys in the neighborhood with my snow shoveling 'diesel-ness.' Shit, 44 is the new 20, what? Fitness (post 40) is a beautiful thing!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I set up my own gym when we moved into our new place last year and have lost 35 pounds since... working out one and a half to two hours every day. I usually keep going until my vision starts to blur... now I'm just 8 pounds away from what I was 25 years ago. My beer belly literally melted away... local beer here in Costa Rica sucks so I aside from the occasional michelada I totally gave up on the stuff but drink at least 1 gallon of water every day. No eating out, no ordering in, no processed foods of any kind, all fresh salads, veggies and organic meat, preferably water buffalo (raer). I pity my neighbors though... turns out the most effective work-out music for me is early Laibach, Foetus/Wiseblood, Slayer, Celtic Frost and Mot??rhead... and I don't use headphones...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Frank,

That sounds like my regimen, which is four times a week (1.5 hours a day) as follows:

Day 1: Core training (i.e., gut busting with weights), weight training (biceps, shoulders, and back), run 20 minutes.
    Day 2: Core training, weight training (legs), hit the heavy bag for 10 rounds (3 minutes each).
    Day 3: Core training, weight training (chest, forearms, and triceps), run 20 minutes.
    Day 4: Core training, hit the heavy bag for 10 rounds, jump rope, some form of aerobic conditioning (aerobics, run, or bike for 30 minutes).

Also, I'm watching my eating, mainly consuming meat and veggies, and a just little starch. The missus works out with me so it's a total blast to workout each day and stay fit. As me and my brother discussed once, working out has other benefits post-40 too ;-) .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I stay exercising (I walk close to 5 miles a day for my commute, and I hop on the elliptical when I work from home), but I want to get back into basketball, which will probably mean joining a gym at some point.

One of my goals for 2014 is to run a 7-minute mile. Totally doable if I put some work in.

• I been training muay thai and some boxing the last few years - phenomenal workout physically and mentally. I got so bored of the gym once I wasn't playing football - it was like constantly preparing for nothing.

• Dont post to often. Started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu over 8 months ago. Its really been a life changing experience. Physically and mentally demanding. Minus the sore fingers and ribs it feels amazing. I would highly recommend it to anyone of any age, size, or gender. Its so much fun. Especially if your not one to lift weights or run a treadmill.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Gym is so goddamn boring.
    I heard yesterday that for average dude, one hour spinning adds one hour to your life.
    Congrats, you just got back the hour you spent spinning, duh.

I'd much rather be in the bar.

• You sound British Skel!

But seriously, I tore the crap/herniated the fuck out of my back about 3 yrs lifting long rafters up onto a roof. Since then my back has been weak and would be thrown by simply getting out of a car, etc... That is, until I started hitting the gym about 11 months ago. I haven't had any back issues since then, and I'm stronger then I've been since my early twenties. I can deadlift just over 300 ( strong back finally) , bench 285 and run 10 miles no prob. I have a physical job: I'm a builder. If my body craps out so goes my livelihood. But for yrs I took my health for granted and it was catching up w/ me fast.

Crazy how much longer it takes my body to heal now though when I tear something...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

What is man wearing.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    A halfsie?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Well done to all who have stuck at it and got the results they wanted. I've been lucky that I've never strayed too far off the beaten track fitness-wise, so I am just looking to stay fit and not do the Arnold thing.

I was a member of a hotel gym for a while but they got greedy with the subs, it was oversubscribed (aren't they all?) and the swimming pool was too small and full of gossiping women at each end.

Given my broken-bone catalogue, I try and avoid the high-impact stuff, hence my penchant for riding t3h bieks (sic) or swimming, which gets boring but is better than biking in freezing rain in the dark.

Lost about 25 of your US pounds this year mainly as a result of not eating and boozing as much. That has cost me nothing.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Big_Stacks said:

What is man wearing.

Hey Jimster,

It's one of those extra tall t-shirts, which I bought by mistake. Oh well, it's all about puttin' in work, but touche to your question.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

A fellow Retro Fitness member, the gym colors are unmistakeable.

pkny said:
    Big_Stacks said:

A fellow Retro Fitness member, the gym colors are unmistakeable.

Yep, I like Retro!!! It has great equipment, kept clean, and is well maintained. Plus, the monthly fee for all it offers is very cheap.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The gym is necessary. I've switched from working out at night to starting my day with a solid run and some lifting. It's done wonders in terms of being more alert and energized when I step into work.

And I'm a skinny dude so weight lifting basically gives me quick results which really gets the womens attention, realheadknowthedeal!

• Hey can I do a poll here and see how much people are paying?

I locked in a ridiculous deal at 24-hr fitness several yrs back that has me paying $50 a year.

Since that's basically free, I recently added a membership to the SFJCC since it's a lot nicer and closer to my house. That's $60/month.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Just over a year ago I started Muay Thai to stay fit for football (aka soccer) as weights bore the crap out of me. Three nights a week and I noticed a big difference, plus made some good friends (pluuuuuus the eye candy at the gym aint half bad). Had to stop about two months ago, but looking to get back into it soon.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Hey can I do a poll here and see how much people are paying?

I locked in a ridiculous deal at 24-hr fitness several yrs back that has me paying $50 a year.

Since that's basically free, I recently added a membership to the SFJCC since it's a lot nicer and closer to my house. That's $60/month.

I pay $20 a month. That comes with classes (I take yoga occasionally) but I can only use one location which is fine 'cause the others are far from my house.

• that's a great deal if you only use that one location.

my $60 JCC membership is worth it to me because it includes classes and the lockerroom/showers/sauna/steamroom are actually really nice, like almost spa-status.

plus it gets me discounts on their cultural programs which are often really good: https://www.jccsf.org/arts-ideas/arts-ideas-home

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Hey can I do a poll here and see how much people are paying?

How did you get that?

I got a $14 a month thing at LA fitness which is semi-good nation wide but I prefer 24 since it seems to be just about everywhere (and longer hours)

• back when I was caking at my former job I signed some contract where I paid for 3 yrs upfront at like $50/month, and in so doing was able to lock in this $50/yr thing in perpetuity. Pretty sweet.

• Over the last 3-4 years I've lost about 110lbs and havent gained a single lb since (other than cheat day bloat).

I'm actually really into lifting weights more than doing anything cardio related but I would love to take some grappling or boxing classes too. Its just too expensive to be paying for memberships at what would be about 3 to 4 different gyms.

I paid for a year in advance at a gym here in town that ended up being $12/month. I've been paying for one off classes twice a month with a USAW Certified coach at another gym (those are like $20 a visit).

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Going to the gym regularly is pretty essential to me. I spent most of my 20-30's neglecting my health, but I started going to the gym about 5 years ago and lost 40 pounds and have kept it off ever since. I go 3-5 times a week and do cardio and a weight circuit and it totally helps keep me sane. I also walk about 4 miles a day as part of my commute. I use a site called Fitocracy to track my workouts and got involved in a "how many push-ups can you do in a year" competition for 2013 and I'm right around 43K for the year, I really wanted to make it to 50,000 but had some shoulder problems. Just this week I decided to give myself a break and shut down for the year due to a lot of nagging little problems, so I'm only walking and doing push-ups thru the holidays, and hopefully I'll be ready to go hard again in the new year.

Oh yeah, my gym (New York Sports Club) is pretty expensive ($75/month), but my job covers half my fee as a health benefit and I can use any gym they have in NYC, Philly, Boston or D.C.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    skel said:
    Gym is so goddamn boring.

Yup.
    I work two minutes away from the Y and can't manage to convince myself to go.

I walk a lot and maintain a house with a huge driveway and a 100+year old oak tree on my own, so that keeps me active between shoveling and raking and gardening.

My spring chicken days are over and now and then I worry about how not exercising will catch up to me in the next 15-20 years....but not enough to motivate me on to the stationary bike or yoga classes or aqua fit - all of which I've tried and just can't stick to.

• the gym is boring as shit but after a while it becomes the best part of your day. I also dealt with some depression for a bit. I lost weight on my meds and eventually tapered off and now I just maintain a regular workout schedule and even though everything ever really sucks and life is pointless (joking) I'm pretty happy now. I feel great a lot of the time and I mostly attribute it to working out. I'm in a great place in my life and I think its due to getting health in check and squatting 150KGs ATG for an easy triple.

Grandfather said:
    the gym is boring as shit but after a while it becomes the best part of your day.

mmmmm, with all due respect, I don't think so. There are about 10 other things that are the best parts of my day, some of them even burn calories.

• bassie said:
    Grandfather said:
    the gym is boring as shit but after a while it becomes the best part of your day.

mmmmm, with all due respect, I don't think so. There are about 10 other things that are the best parts of my day, some of them even burn calories.

OK, maybe not the best part but its pretty rad.
    http://goo.gl/Q7QnO2

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ride a bike outside.

Yea, I hear you. I guess I never maintained it for long enough or frequently enough to realize the endorphic/endorphinal (??) benefits.
    I definitely felt amazing after the yoga/sauna/ice cold shower routine I had going a couple of years ago lol, but again, it wasn't enough to keep bringing me back.
    Not everything is for everyone? I think I just do better with activities that have a "point" (I walk to my destination, I fill nine bags of leaves after 3.5 hours of raking, etc.) than repetitive actions.
    I live across the street from a high school with a track, I went out everyday and walked/jogged for 30 minutes (which apparently totaled 3km) for a week straight this past spring and after the week I was like F this.

• I'm way under 40 and the definition of very slim, thank you very much, but I do feel flabby since I haven't done much since I ran a marathon 18 months ago on a personal challenge (which went relatively good for a total amateur).
    I'd hit an american gym again just for the anthropology *all cynic*