November 2013 Finds

2»

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    LAST THREE WEEKS

To give you an idea of what prices are like at ARC I bought about 120 LP's and spent $700.00....here's a good chunk of them

Is ARC the record fair in Utrecht? Or?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    ppadilha said:

had to get that for the gratuitous stoner reference.

Osvaldo Nunes' Segura esse samba ogunh?? is my favorite of the bunch though.

That's nice. I've never understood Golden Boys' lyrics, is it all about smoking? Seems obvious now but I'd not even thought about what 'Fumac??' meant. Also I've now realised I was reading Fumac?? but thinking about Berimbau (hence the outburst) - still a good find though.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    toby.d said:
    ppadilha said:

had to get that for the gratuitous stoner reference.

Osvaldo Nunes' Segura esse samba ogunh?? is my favorite of the bunch though.

That's nice. I've never understood Golden Boys' lyrics, is it all about smoking? Seems obvious now but I'd not even thought about what 'Fumac??' meant. Also I've now realised I was reading Fumac?? but thinking about Berimbau (hence the outburst) - still a good find though.

I'd be pretty happy if I found a Berimbau 7" in the field one day, not sure that even exists though.

Fumac?? is just a goofy song about how they smell smoke coming from somewhere, and they wonder what it is...

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Wow, I'm just demonstrating how I am here.

Still, now at least I know which LP Berimbau is on so progress has been made. Thanks.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Finds from the Utrecht record show -

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Went to my local record fair today that despite being about 1/1000th the size of Utrecht where I would have rather been still yielded some cool records!

These were all ??2 each.

Loudon Wainwright ??? Album 2 + Album 3 ??? Always had a soft spot for the track Motel Blues so thought I???d give these a try.

Julie Driscol, Brian Auger & The Trinity ??? The Best of ??? Indian Rope Man, etc.

Elliott Murphy ??? Just a Story from America ??? Seen this LP loads of time but no idea what to expect. Summer House sounds great.

Leslie West ??? The Great Fatsby ??? Never seen this before. Features Jagger on guitar!

The Tokens ??? Both Sides Now ??? Again no idea what to expect from this one (expectations are low though!)

Moondog ??? Cheap copy of this awesome LP. Every home should have one! As sampled by Mr Scruff.

Johnny Hammond ??? Higher Ground ??? One of the few Kudu LP???s I was still to file. As sampled by Premier!

Bo Diddley ??? Another Dimension ??? File under blues artist gets funky!

Bobbi Humphrey ??? Freestyle ??? Homemade Jam is such a great track!

Starlift ??? ST ??? Trinidad steel LP. Couple of encouraging song titles, just have to see if they pan out!!!

Saved the best till last.

Andy Bey ??? Experience and Judgement ??? So pleased to finally be able to get rid of my dodgy 90???s boot of this LP. Guy in front of me listened to this then put it back!

Odyssey ??? ST ??? Such a great LP. Only the third time I???ve found this LP. First time though that I???ve had one with a lyric insert. Could listen to Our Lives are Shaped on endless repeat! Now to find the 45!

A few 45???s

The Soul Agents ??? Gospel Train / Don???t Break it Up ??? Picked up from the ??1 boxes purely on the strength of the name. Great two sider.

Sound Experience ??? JP Walk / Where Has Your Love Gone ??? Picked up two copies of this great disco funk 45.

Mandy Miller ??? Coming Home TK 1 ??? Anyone ever come across this 45 or artist before. Apparently is a never before released one sided test press 45. Any info much appreciated. It???s a pretty cool version of this classic tune.

• Here's a grip of what's made the wall in the last few weeks. I've been record binging heavier than usual, but at least I'm having fun while doing so. Keep 'em coming, these threads are always enlightening to see what's been creeping out of the woodwork...

Atlantis - It's Getting Better (Vertigo, 1973)
    Flaming Ember - Sunshine (Hot Wax, 1971)
    Salvation - Gypsy Carnival Caravan (ABC, 1968)
    Autosalvage - S/T (RCA Victor, 1968)
    Brethren - S/T (Tiffany, 1970)
    Mojo - Mojo Magic (GRT, 1969)

Lazarus - S/T (Bearsville, 1971)
    Dungen - Skit I Allt (Mexican Summer, 2010)
    Jamul - S/T (Lizard, 1971)
    The Rationals - S/T (Crewe, 1969)
    Crystal Mansion - S/T (Capitol, 1969)
    Fuzz - S/T (In The Red, 2013)

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief (A&M, 1970)
    Jode - S/T (Vanguard, 1970)
    Dennis Coffey And The Detroit Guitar Band??? - Electric Coffey (Sussex, 1972)
    Graffiti - S/T (ABC, 1968)
    William S. Fischer - Circles (Embryo, 1970)
    Daughters of Albion - S/T (Fontana, 1968)
    McDonald & Giles - S/T (Cotillion, 1971)
    The Incredible Bongo Band - The Return of... (Pride, 1974)
    Chamaeleon Church - S/T (MGM, 1968)

Minimal Man - Safari (C.D. Presents Ltd, 1983)
    The Dance - Soul Force (Statik Records, 1982)
    Just-Ice - Back To The Old School (Fresh Records, 1986)
    2 Live Crew - As Nasty As They Wanna Be (Luke Skyywalker Records, 1989)
    Lee Hazlewood - The Very Special World Of (MGM, 1966)
    Monk Montgomery - Bass Odyssey (Chisa, 1971)
    Elvin Jones - Midnight Walk (Atlantic, 1967)
    Michaelangelo - One Voice Many (Columbia, 1971)

Oliver Sain - Blue Max (Abet, 1975)
    The Five Satins - Sing (Ember, 196?)
    Isaac Hayes - Black Moses (Enterprise, 1971)
    Wilbert Harrison - Soul Food Man (Chelsea, 1976)
    The Poets Of Rhythm - Anthology 1992-2003 (Daptone, 2013)
    Homeboy Sandman - First Of A Living Breed (Stones Throw, 2013)
    Delorean - Apar (True Panther, 2013)
    Jacco Gardner - Cabinet of Curiosities (Trouble In Mind, 2013)

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I got that Atlantis LP this month too, absolutely love it. Brethren is amazing too - Success Brand Oil and Outside Love especially.

Here's a few of my November finds. Poor pics as usual.

Yves Simon - Raconte Toi (RCA Victor) Title track is dope.
    Susan Cadogan - Susan Cadogan (Trojan) I'd only heard a couple of the songs on this (In The Ghetto & Congratulations), those are still my favourites but the whole thing is full of bangers.
    Roberta Flack - Quiet Fire (Atlantic)
    Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (Westbound)
    Nina Simone - Baltimore (CTI) Title track on this took me straight back to being a kid and hearing it in my parent's car. I'd forgotten all about it till I heard it again.
    Cymande - Cymande (Janus) Heard a lot about it and then saw it on the SS100. I'd been eyeing a copy on a local's WoF for a while but didn't want to spend that much, went back to finally cop and it had gone earlier in the day. Obviously it's old hat for you all but it's only just taking over my life.

Atlantis - It's Getting Better (Vertigo) Everything about this is good.
    Brewer & Shipley - Down In L.A (A&M)
    Mashmakhan - The Family (Columbia)
    Shin Joong Hyun - Shin Joong Hyun & Yup Juns (Lion Productions) Is there anything bad with Shin Joong Hyun on it, i doubt it.
    James Royal - Call My Name (CBS) Nice vocal version of Funky Fanfare.
    The Poppy Family - Poppy Seeds (London) I still want Which Way Are You Going Billy? but this is pretty good too.

Dino Valente ?????? Dino Valente (CBS) I hadn't been that taken with this record before but found a copy for cheap and it's growing on me. Good for cold autumn mornings.
    Barrabas ?????? ??Soltad A Barrabas! (Ariola)
    Richard Twice - Richard Twice (Philips) Beside Cymande this is probably my favourite find of the month.
    Ill??s - Add A Kezed (Pepita) Hungarian psych-ish. Very good.