Soul Strut 100: # 5 - Skull Snaps

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2013 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 5 - Skull Snaps

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)
# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you
# 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level
# 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)
# 63 - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother
# 62 - Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
# 61 - The J.B.???s - Food For Thought
# 60 - Don Blackman (1982)
# 59 - Niagara - (Tiddies)
# 58 - Can - Ege Bamyasi
# 57 - Whatnauts - On the Rocks
# 56 - The Mohawks - Champ
# 55 - McDonald and Giles (1971)
# 54 - Darondo - Let My People Go
# 53 - Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping
# 52 - Beastie Boys - Paul???s Boutique
# 51 - Mulatu Astatke - Mulatu of Ethiopia
# 50 - Lyman Woodard Organization - Saturday Night Special
# 49 - Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
# 48 - Lyn Collins - Think (About It)
# 47 - James Brown - In The Jungle Groove
# 46 - Bill Withers - Still Bill
# 45 - Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
# 44 - Silver Apples - S/T
# 43 - Mobb Deep - The Infamous
# 42 - Lyn Christopher (1973)
# 41 - Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson
# 40 - Gang Starr - Step in the Arena
# 39 - Diamond D - Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop
# 38 - Terry Callier - What Color is Love
# 37 - David Axelrod - Song of Innocence
# 36 - The Invaders - Spacing Out
# 35 - Leo Sayer - Endless Flight
# 34 - Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
# 33 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Brainfreeze (Mix)
# 32 - Michael Jackson - Thriller
# 31 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
# 30 - De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
# 29 - Ray Barretto - Acid
# 28 - The Sylvers - II
# 27 - Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces
# 26 - Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
# 25 - Nas - Illmatic
# 24 - The Baby Huey Story - The Living Legend
# 23 - Roy Ayers - He???s Coming
# 22 - Kool and the Gang (album) (1969)
# 21 - Demon Fuzz - Afreaka!
# 20 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis!
#19 - Eugene McDaniels - Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse
# 18 - Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rock
# 17 - Placebo - Ball of Eyes
# 16 - Arthur Verocai - Arthur Verocai (1972)
# 15 - A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
# 14 - S.O.U.L. - What Is It
# 13 - Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
# 12 - Boscoe
# 11 - RAMP - Come Into Knowledge
# 10 - Bob James - 2 (Mardi Gras with or without the Bells)
# 9 - Syl Johnson - Is It Because I???m Black?
# 8 - The Meters - S/T (1969)
# 7 - Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
# 6 - Eddie Kendricks - People... Hold On
# 5 - Skull Snaps

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

Skull Snaps was a funk group active between 1963 and 1973. Until 1970 they were known as The Diplomats, and released a number of singles with some success. Renamed Skull Snaps, they released an eponymous album on the small GSF label in 1973 before disappearing.[2]

The Skull Snaps album contains drum breaks that have been sampled numerous times on various hip hop records: the familiar opening drum pattern of "It's a New Day" can be heard in songs by well-known acts such as Ol' Dirty Bastard, Das EFX, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Eric B. & Rakim, Digable Planets, DJ Shadow, The Prodigy and others.[3]

Ten12 Records re-united all the original members of Skull Snaps (Erv Littleton Waters, Sam O. Culley, and George Bragg) in 2005 in tandem with the band's first official release, "Snapped"/"I'm Your Pimp", since its 1975 single. Under the direction of Skull Snaps frontman Erv Waters, Ten12 Records planned to release the entire Skull Snaps catalog on CD and DVD,[4] with recordings from the original album plus five bonus tracks: "Al's Razor Blade", "Ain't That Lovin' You", "On Top of It", "Soul Makossa", and "She's the One".

Related Threads

SKULL SNAPS

tell us all about SKULL SNAPS

HELP: Skull Snaps Matrix

Media

Comments

• I was just listening to Dooley-O's "Watch My Words" on the way up to work and was thinking about the Wax Po article about how he found the break and Stezeo, his cousin, stole it out of his crate. (because his manager told him too) So classic.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Nice record.
    More than just drums.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Nice record.
    More than just drums.

My joint is "Didn't I Do it To You" (as cued up on my "Stacks Gettin' Funky" mix). This is a great LP and I'm glad it was included on the Soul Strut 100.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    DO NOT TRUST THIS RECORD!

:real_headz:

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Timmy Digg-a-lot gem right here. i knew about the legend of this record before i even really started getting into records. In the late 90's this seemed like some Chester Copperpot treasure hunt style shit.

Great record (repress is all i will likely ever own), and def a record that will forever remind me of the 'Stut

• The LP cover is one of the all-time beauties.

• not sure I like this #5, but hey... the votes are in, I guess.

• of the many albums in this list that are kinda hard to find, ive found that this one in particular is exceptionally tough. Ive turned up most of the other 'hard' ones like Ramp, etc, but this one, ive never even seen up on a wall. thank god for the reissue.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    not sure I like this #5, but hey... the votes are in, I guess.

Personally I love this record. It's one of the few records I still miss to this day after it was sold. I'm guessing the reason why you're seeing this rated so high is because of the history of this site and this record.

On a side note.

My fav cut off the album. When it drops... :feelin_it:

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    the most elusive 95 WOF joint ever!

gsf was a NY label and by now I should have found one.

karlaphone is correct???... I've got the majority of the harder to find lps on the top 100 minus the insane ones like placebo,verocai,etc

the 45 pops up in a blue moon as does al's razor-blade too but the lp NEVER DOES
    in all my years of digging i have yet to even see a thrashed/destroyed copy.

for now i am slumming with the scorpio repress and the 45's

• what is the deal with the pressings and the sticker that's not really a sticker? did GSF manufacture in more than one country, or are there 2 early pressings?

mo majid had like 6 copies on the wall of fame

I had this a few times back in the 90s.

More likely to find it in the rock section (back in the day) than the soul section. Cover related.

You can imagine how disappointed rock fans were when they thought they were getting some satanic rock lp and ended up with a soul record. Happy to pass it along for $3.00.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    You can imagine how disappointed rock fans were when they thought they were getting some satanic rock lp and ended up with a soul record. Happy to pass it along for $3.00.

shhhhhh!
    i've been checking the 'S' section for years in hopes of that happening

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Rishan said:
    what is the deal with the pressings and the sticker that's not really a sticker? did GSF manufacture in more than one country, or are there 2 early pressings?

GSF albums were also released in France. I actually own the French press of Skull Snaps and i've seen the Joe Quarterman French one. Maybe an Italian version exists.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    leon said:
    Maybe an Italian version exists.

It does, but it has no bells.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I recently learned the US pressing of the 45 'It's A New Day' is styrene, but the UK pressing is vinyl

• leon said:
    Rishan said:
    what is the deal with the pressings and the sticker that's not really a sticker? did GSF manufacture in more than one country, or are there 2 early pressings?

GSF albums were also released in France. I actually own the French press of Skull Snaps and i've seen the Joe Quarterman French one. Maybe an Italian version exists.

is your French copy a non-gatefold cover?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Rishan said:

Yes it is. Also it's one of those flimsy covers. The US issue is much nicer sleeve-wise.

• leon said:
    Rishan said:

Yes it is. Also it's one of those flimsy covers. The US issue is much nicer sleeve-wise.

yes, can't stand those flimsy ass euro shits! love a thick cardboard :pasue:

• Certainly a unique sleeve for a soul record. I think that the musical content and the cover art both contrast and complement each other. Life and death. Yet, the message of fervor (not sure which English term is correct to use here. Perhaps intensity) is still present in the music and in the cover art as well.

Being a soul fan, I appreciate the soul cuts the most, but I acknowledge that the funk tunes are good as well. Two of my favorites have already been mentioned "Didn't I Do It To You" and "All Of A Sudden". Another really great soul tune which hasn't been mentioned yet is "I'm Faling Out Of Love".

• GamleOle said:
    Certainly a unique sleeve for a soul record. I think that the musical content and the cover art both contrast and complement each other. Life and death. Yet, the message of fervor (not sure which English term is correct to use here. Perhaps intensity) is still present in the music and in the cover art as well.

For me it's just a baad-asss cover with skulls

• For me it's just a baad-asss cover with skulls

For me too. But I also think the cover goes well for the particular record. A cover can be dope in itself, but I prefer when it somehow matches the music.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Word on the street is that a Skullsnaps documentary is coming this May.

• Love this thread, introducing me to some great tracks I haven't heard before. With the Skull Snaps, be sure to check this one out, has to be heard. A classic slice of northern soul...My Hang Up Is You

sorry, not sure how to embed the 'clip'?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    This is a great soul album in my opinion – much more to it than It's A New Day and Trespassin'.

The illustration on the back is by José Guadalupe Posada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Guadalupe_Posada
    Electrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Skulls and skeletons on a soul record: right up there with marketing that Warlock LP on Music Merchant with Eliphas Levi's Baphomet on the cover.