Soul Strut 100: #19 - Eugene McDaniels - Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited February 2018 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 19 - Eugene McDaniels - Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse

About

Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse is an album of American soul music by artist Eugene McDaniels, released in 1971.
As with McDaniel's previous album, this is not a typical Soul album, which can even be seen by the cover image (a picture of McDaniels screaming between two warring samurai).

This album dabbles in form between soul, Funk, jazz and even folk. In addition, it has been a collector's item among rap music and rare groove enthusiasts since the early 90s when several of the songs were sampled by many hip hop producers including Pete Rock and Q-Tip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_Heroes_of_the_Apocalypse

Related Threads

GENE McDANIELS, R.I.P.

The illest thrift store find of all time!!!

MOJO Top 70 SOUL albums

Media

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jews and the Arabs,
    Semitic pawns in the master game
    The player who controls the board
    Sees them all as the same
    Basically cannon fodder
    Left wing and right wing
    Political pawns in the master game
    Sees them all as the same
    Basically cannon fodder

Nobody knows who the enemy is
    Cause he never goes in hiding
    He's slitting our throats
    Right in front of our eyes,
    While we pull the casket he's riding
    Better get it together,
    Better get it together,
    And see what's happening
    To you and you and you

Niggers and crackers
    Racial pawns in the master game
    The player who controls the board sees them all as the same,
    Basically cannon fodder
    Industry and War Machine,
    These are the kings in the master game
    And the Kings are the same
    We are the cannon fodder.

Nobody knows who the enemy is
    Cause he never goes in hiding
    He's slitting our throats
    Right in front of our eyes,
    While we pull the casket he's riding
    Better get it together,
    Better get it together,
    And see what's happening
    To you and you and you.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    one of my favourite records ever, thanks to a fellow strutteur who hooked up a nice copy for me a few months back.

it pulls together so many styles successfully and the band is ridiculous- the cream of jazz-rock (btw, why did richie resnicoff's career never take off?). "the parasite" is a little overlong and the screeching vocals at the end i guess are tough to listen to but that's the only musical fault i can find. incidentally, "the parasite" is dedicated to "buffy"....is that buffy st marie?

also, yes, as harvey points out the lyrics are unmatched. eugene comes down on everyone and everything excepting susan jane (who is the austere looking white lady pictured holding the machine gun on the cover of "outlaw"--- who i guess was eugene's girlfriend and muse-- the song "outlaw" is also about her). basically, the album is one big warning inspired by the book of revelations.. is "jagger the dagger" a reference to altamont? imho best lyrics are in"supermarket blues": "i bought a can of pineapple and when i brought it home it was a can of peas (goddamn!)--- if i wanted those i'd have picked my nose and strolled into the back of the vegetable freezer".

b/w

i have the sheet music to all of these tunes that i can share except for "headless heroes" . can anyone hook me up with the chords to that track.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Amazing album, still waiting to find a copy...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Unparalleled political commentary tunes + good backing tracks. A true raerity and close to if not #1 in my book.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Back about 1990 I had a stack of sealed copies.
    I failed to appreciate at the time.
    Mr Supreme bought 1 or 2 I think.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    A great record that can be had for less than 100 if you're patient. I'm not surprised this made the list.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    basically, the album is one big warning inspired by the book of revelations.. is "jagger the dagger" a reference to altamont?

Had to look up Altamont and yeah, that sounds about right.
    I originally though it was a diss to Jagger and cultural appropriation based on these lines but I think what you said make more sense.

Jagger lived in the world a while
    Now he's learning the devil's style
    Jagger playing a heavy game
    Free from guilt and he's free from shame

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Well-deserved placement on the list. One of the few albums that I have settled for the reish of just so I can have it

A can of peas GODDAMN

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    awesome to see consensus in soulstrut. perfect album. susan jane is funny as fuck.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDX

crabmongerfunk said:
    one of my favourite records ever, thanks to a fellow strutteur who hooked up a nice copy for me a few months back.

it pulls together so many styles successfully and the band is ridiculous- the cream of jazz-rock (btw, why did richie resnicoff's career never take off?). "the parasite" is a little overlong and the screeching vocals at the end i guess are tough to listen to but that's the only musical fault i can find. incidentally, "the parasite" is dedicated to "buffy"....is that buffy st marie?

also, yes, as harvey points out the lyrics are unmatched. eugene comes down on everyone and everything excepting susan jane (who is the austere looking white lady pictured holding the machine gun on the cover of "outlaw"--- who i guess was eugene's girlfriend and muse-- the song "outlaw" is also about her). basically, the album is one big warning inspired by the book of revelations.. is "jagger the dagger" a reference to altamont? imho best lyrics are in"supermarket blues": "i bought a can of pineapple and when i brought it home it was a can of peas (goddamn!)--- if i wanted those i'd have picked my nose and strolled into the back of the vegetable freezer".

b/w

i have the sheet music to all of these tunes that i can share except for "headless heroes" . can anyone hook me up with the chords to that track.

Good look on the Altamont the Jagger observation.

crabmongerfunk said:

b/w

Good look on the Altamont Jagger observation.

crabmongerfunk said:

b/w

crabmongerfunk said:

b/w

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    need to break this out and have a listen, its been a while.... i used a snippet off this album for my psych mix on this site.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    One of all time favourites. Great lyrics/message with an impassioned delivery backed by a killer band. Alphonse Mouzon nails it on this one. So many nice little fills and nuanced drumming throughout. Outlaw doesn't quite hit the same heights but they both compliment each other well.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    'Susan Jane' is still my fave track, somehow i always come back to it the most even though its not what the album is usually sought out for.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• karlophone said:
    'Susan Jane' is still my fave track, somehow i always come back to it the most even though its not what the album is usually sought out for.

I was thought that would be a good Grateful Dead cover.

• I think we can all agree on this monster. It's spot in the Top 20 is well deserved (it could even be higher, but we'll see what remains ahead of it.) My favorite track is "Lovin' Man":

• Gibbo said:
    Great lyrics/message with an impassioned delivery
    Especially on Supermarket Blues, his vocal inflection is impecable.
    Headless Heroes and Boscoe are the kings of socially conscious raers. Speaking of...

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Great. Beautiful blend of styles. One of my alltime faves. Sits nicely w Gil Scott Heron and Leon Thomas/Andy Bey/Gary Bartz but still pretty unique. Got my copy for free too.

Yes, I totally agree.

Speaking of Gil Scott Heron, if he doesn't show before we're done I'm gonna cry.

• crabmongerfunk said:

i have the sheet music to all of these tunes that i can share except for "headless heroes".

I have been trying to find sheet music/chords for Jagger the Dagger but finding it impossible, if you could share I would be eternally grateful!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I avoided buying Headless Heroes for a long time. I'd already owned the Outlaw album (great cover!), which I thought was more "interesting" than actually "good." Okay, it's nice to see that this former pop balladeer had a social-consciousness period, but if that's the best he could do, I'm sticking with "Tower Of Strength" and "A Hundred Pounds Of Clay."

Then I heard Headless Heroes. Now THAT'S the LP where Rev. McD really gets into gear...great album!

I think the transformation from Gene McDaniels and 100 Pounds of Clay to Eugene McDaniels and Headless Heroes is one of the most abrupt and extreme career turn arounds.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

This is one of my favorites from cover to cover. My joints are "Supermarket Blues", "Freedom Death Dance" and "Lovin' Man." I kind of figured this one would make the Soul Strut 100, so good looks on recognizing the LP.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

LaserWolf said:
    I think the transformation from Gene McDaniels and 100 Pounds of Clay to Eugene McDaniels and Headless Heroes is one of the most abrupt and extreme career turn arounds.

...except that a few years passed between "Gene" and "Eugene," so I'm sure he slowly made his transformation in the years between.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:

...except that a few years passed between "Gene" and "Eugene," so I'm sure he slowly made his transformation in the years between.

Does 'Universal Jones' fit in this time? I can't remember the chronology.

Pickwick,
    True - But for me, those years were silent.
    Tommy James, in the 60s, changed with the times better than anyone. But that's another story.

Cai,
    I thought it was Heroes, Outlaw, Universal, but I may be way off.

cai said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:

Does 'Universal Jones' fit in this time? I can't remember the chronology.

Outlaw was 1970, Headless Heroes was '71, the album he cut with Universal Jones was from '72.

Then he resurfaced with an album on Ode ca. 1975 called Natural Juices that no one seems to talk about. (Any opinions?)