!!! (Daft Punk-related).

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I hope so. I thought it was midnight LAST night. Must've refreshed 30 times between the hours of 10p and 2a AZ time.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Sounds like it's actually dropping friday.

Whoever's marketing this album needs a raise.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    ketan said:
    empanadamn said:
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican monkey...

Haha. Just the fact that the actual lyric is not *something-something GET FUNKY" improves the outlook for this album tremendously in my book.

I hear it as: "we're up all night to get funky"

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    knewjak said:
    ketan said:
    empanadamn said:
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican monkey...

Haha. Just the fact that the actual lyric is not *something-something GET FUNKY" improves the outlook for this album tremendously in my book.

I hear it as: "we're up all night to get funky"

say it ain't sooooo. i hear, "we're up all night to get lucky".

• Herm said:
    SoundOutLoud said:

BTW have you guys heard this mashup of their 1st commercia w/ JT's Suit and Tie?
    https://soundcloud.com/hoodinternet/the-hood-internet-suit-and

Yes, and to go with what I just posted above, here's exactly what I had to say about that on FB yesterday:

"You know what's crazy about this? Daft Punk released that short snippet on SNL. Before they even released the longer snippet with Pharrell, people had made their own remixes using the short snippet that was being played in clubs! (Well, speaking for myself, of course. I rocked the hell out of that Hood Internet "Suit & Tie" remix.)"

I wonder if that was anticipated at all? I mean, it could've potentially backfired on 'em, right? What if a remix was so good that it overshadowed the original before the original even had a chance to shine?? Or if a remix with that loop got so much play that people just tired of that main loop?

I was thinking the same thing. As DJ's they have to know the power of a sample. Its also a little balsy for the reasons your describe but also cause people could just not pay attention. I'm inclined to believe they had some idea, but threw caution to the wind. I respect that though, they believe in their music.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Unherd said:

i agree, the rollout on this has been a lesson in advertising a album in the 00's.

where did u hear friday?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    Unherd said:

i agree, the rollout on this has been a lesson in advertising a album in the 00's.

where did u hear friday?

so true. when was the last time there was this much buzz around a new album? and i haven't seen a single paid ad (i guess there was one on SNL saturday?). i'm seeing this strictly through social media / blogs / word of mouth a.k.a. the advertising of the 2010s...

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Looking forward to the album, but not buying the "Daft Punk = Wyld Stallyns" thang.

I'll cop, doe.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    Unherd said:

where did u hear friday?

http://clients.allaccess.com/mail/D/daft-punk/daft-punk-snl-h.html

Although I guess this could be a fake too. I don't know what to believe any more.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The 'Get Lucky' trailer features Pharrell and Nile Rodgers and was aired before Yeah Yeah Yeahs came onstage.

It features the French robots on drums and bass with Pharrell on vocal duties and Rodgers on guitar. It's an expansion of the snippet of music used on the band's website since the start of the campaign promoting their new 'Random Access Memories' album and is the longest amount of audio they've given away so far.

Pharrell looks to be on fine vocal form, providing a super smooth performance ending in the refrain "we're up all night to get lucky" ??? it's so infectious that it's likely to be the hook that soundtracks the summer.

The video also confirms the list of collaborators that was leaked last week and comes days after it was revealed that the band would premiere the album in the tiny Australian town of Wee Waa.
    See article at mixmag.com

Taken from NileRodgers.com itself.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Pharrell looks to be on fine vocal form, providing a super smooth performance ending in the refrain "we're up all night to get lucky"

Taken from NileRodgers.com itself.
    Too bad, I actually liked the 'Mexican monkey' idea better. Although waking up a monkey of any nationality could be a dangerous endeavor.

Fred_Garvin said:
    Too bad, I actually liked the 'Mexican monkey' idea better. Although waking up a monkey of any nationality could be a dangerous endeavor.

They do not like the element of surprise. For real.

I believe I have shared my uncle's tale of what happened when a naked soldier cornered a monkey that he found stealing his tobacco during the Korean war.

One of them ended up running off with the other one's testicles in his hand.

It wasn't the soldier.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Fred_Garvin said:

They do not like the element of surprise. For real.

I believe I have shared my uncle's tale of what happened when a naked soldier cornered a monkey that he found stealing his tobacco during the Korean war.

One of them ended up running off with the other one's testicles in his hand.

It wasn't the soldier.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Ever since I read it on here all I can hear is 'woke up a Mexican monkey' so that's what's real to me.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Here. This should keep you busy for the next 10 hours and 2 seconds.

Featuring footage of Whiplash the Cowboy Monkey, Ben (the dog), and friends, all donning caballero / vaquero stilos.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Unfortunately only lasted for 10 minutes but still 10 minutes well spent. Thanks!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

DocMcCoy said:

AND they're using the latest social networking platform?! Wow.

Kind of mimicking the "Thriller" typography?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    For Random Access Memories, they hired "top-notch session players," says Guy-Manuel, with credits on classic records by Michael Jackson, Herbie Hancock, and Eric Clapton.

really curious now who the session players are besides the big-name guests....

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    That just sounds like so perfect right now.
    Can't wait.

Real or fake? Live or Memorex?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'll chime in as well re this -- I haven't been legitimately excited for an LP in god knows how long. The way they're doing it too - lifting the curtain so slowly, it just feels like an event - like I'd actually get into a car and go purchase physical product on this. The Nile interview was the best of the four, definitely -- although hearing that they were really in a Doobie Bros state of mind whilst in production in the Todd Edwards interview definitely put a smile on my face.

• DocMcCoy said:

reminded me of the opening titles to 'irreversible'**

.... complete with neck shivers and a wince

**soundtrack all bangalter/beethoven

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    LIKE THE LEGEND OF THE PHOENIX????

did amerie write these lyrics?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Who cares about the lyrics?

What I find interesting about it is how US-oriented this campaign's been - the SNL teaser ads, the clip at Coachella, doing their only press with Rolling Stone. With a globally successful act like Daft Punk, you'd expect the promo to have an international focus, especially for a non-Anglo act. Yet they're really going to town on making sure America's talking about them more than anywhere else. I think they've been heading this way for a minute, after parting company with their o.g. Pedro Winter and bringing in US management a few years back. But it's as if they've studied where they've had the biggest impact over the last few years, and thought to themselves; "if we can lock down the US right away with this record, the rest of the world will be a piece of cake. And if we happen to make an amazing record as well..." Then again, they've always been shameless Yankophiles - of all the artists namechecked on Teachers, only five aren't Americans - so maybe this is going to be yet another love-letter to American pop forms.

I also have a theory that this is part of a surreptitious, irony-free plan to rehabilitate disco in the eyes of the mainstream US public, and if they can pull *that* off...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    hey, if they can bring back irony free disco than they get lifetime passes in my book. they already do for having nile do his thing on three songs (should have been five, and one of them should have been a slow jam.)

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Am I the only one that thinks this song is kinda boring?