L.A. will make you pay $$ (Today's Finds)

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Just got back from a shop down the street:Bennie Maupin - The Jewel in the Lotus $10The Sweet Inspirations - Estelle, Myrna, and Sylvia $10Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle $5The Tom Tom Club - S/T $7Barretto Live - Tomorrow $6and a bunch of cheap jazz fusion crap that you don't care about, but the true find of the day was:$ 10![/b]Mispriced lovliness.L. Ron Hubbard got that piff,

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you still in town? I got a whole shitload of LP's to sell at cheap prices. PM me if your still SoCal ridin

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nice!

• Just got back from a shop down the street:

Bennie Maupin - The Jewel in the Lotus $10
    The Sweet Inspirations - Estelle, Myrna, and Sylvia $10
    Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle $5
    The Tom Tom Club - S/T $7
    Barretto Live - Tomorrow $6
    and a bunch of cheap jazz fusion crap that you don't care about, but the true find of the day was:

$ 10![/b]

Mispriced lovliness.

L. Ron Hubbard got that piff,

how is that record ?

looks pretty cool besides the fact it is l ron hubbard.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That record has popped up on here alot lately - that's like the 3rd one in the last week...maybe the Scientologists found a warehouse full of them, and are seeding record "spots" around the country in a recruitment effort?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That Apollo Stars record is pretty dope imo, don't know if it would be everybody's cup of tea though. Somebody posted clips of it a while back. Kinda hard to explain but its really frantic, almost tribal at times- very percussive. Theres 10 people in the group. Hope that helps...

• HamHam 872 Posts
    i bought two records today

chocolate milk - s/t
    and
    the black diamonds - fire music on super sound. wich seems to be just another alias for the animated egg/astro sounds, since it's the exact same songs and says "licensed from alshire" on the cover.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

the black diamonds - fire music on super sound. wich seems to be just another alias for the animated egg/astro sounds, since it's the exact same songs and says "licensed from alshire" on the cover.

yeah, I got that one too. Same as Animated Egg. Mines from Sweden or some place like that.

That record has popped up on here alot lately - that's like the 3rd one in the last week...maybe the Scientologists found a warehouse full of them, and are seeding record "spots" around the country in a recruitment effort?

• meters-s/t
    gwen mccrae-rockin' chair
    ramones-subterannean jungle
    war-all day music
    jimmy mcgriff/junior parker-good things dont happen everyday
    little beaver-joey/funkadelic sound 45

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

The weird part is, this was Counterpoint Records, directly below a huge scientology billboard and across the street from the international celebrity scientology center.

hmmm... and now I'm home listening to it and the record is ok. Probably more novelty than anything else.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Counterpoint Books

...although i'm actually glad that someone found a record worth buying there...!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    nice!

• what record is that ?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    DJ DAY, SCIENTOLOGY IS NICE!

what record is that ?

Collie Ryan- the giving tree

also got her other 2 lp's from Douglas (thanks)

I found a pic of one of the other ones-

A few things from the past couple of days:

What up with the bonus freestyle verse at the end of the "Feelin' It" instrumental??
    Shit is
    Meters is a nice comp LP of unreleased ish.
    The Baden Powell is what's really, tho. So nice.
    Oh, and the John Lee is rougher than rough, tougher than tough...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    That Manhattans i one of my favorite records. mad slept on

are they as face melting as you expected?

That Manhattans i one of my favorite records. mad slept on

Yeah, I did a double take when a clean OG was sitting in the new arrivals bin for a five spot - I mean, this is not a place where records like this go for cheap, I kept wondering what the catch is. My only letdown was that the song from it that I already had on 45, "Back Up," is probably the best track on there. Still, a dope record and definitely slept on, seeing as how I jacked that photo from a recent eBay auction for it that ended without anyone touching the $7.99 minimum bid.

• got a couple nice packages today (thanks crink!) plus flea market finds most are up for trade (all except the eliminators:

nice finds Dave!!! how much did that eliminators set you back? and whats the Dilema record?

heres some things i won recently on ebay

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    AWESOME!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Counterpoint Books

...although i'm actually glad that someone found a record worth buying there...!

Ah, I havent been there in a few years and was wondering if they still got some things every now and then. I got lucky early on there with like some Black Jazz pieces and a Rasputin's stash but they never had anything after that.

• Counterpoint Books

Ah, I havent been there in a few years and was wondering if they still got some things every now and then. I got lucky early on there with like some Black Jazz pieces and a Rasputin's stash but they never had anything after that.

word that place used to have some nice records.

i remember on the day of the 97 academy awards i picked up some nice pieces there. like this one dope record by majoie hajary and byard lancaster. i remember that day cause they were playing the academy awards on some tv.

i don't think i've been back there too many times since then.

• nice finds Dave!!! how much did that eliminators set you back? and whats the Dilema record?

i got the eliminators for 2 figures, i won't mention how much though. long time want that finally gets crossed off the ole want list.

the dilemma record is jj jackson dilemma on perception. pretty weird soul, funk, big band, blues record with some good cuts.

what is this one like ? any good ? looks like it could be dope and simulataniously weak.

dont know yet if the wheatones is any good. waiting for it in the mail. i'll let you know though. it was cheap($3 buy it now), and i'll always cop a cheap private press just on the chance it might be hot. plus its got an ill cover.

but does anyone know about that dewey terry? i copped it on a cheap buy it now too. i saw some other auctions describing it as funky soul. hope its dope

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

naldo, dont you have a marchin on on ebay right now? why'd you cop another one?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    naldo, dont you have a marchin on on ebay right now? why'd you cop another one?
    Upgrade.