Top Face Melters on the Album Download Thread?

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited October 2005 in Record Collecting
-Psychedelic Group "Psychground"-Webster Lewis -These Trails ( I need this LP)I am so pumped to listen to all this shit!What stuff stoked you out the most?

Comments

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    so far:

Bernard Purdie - Lialeh
    24 Carat Black
    East of Underground
    Young Holt Unlimited

but i still got a lot to check...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Albums I found to be pleasant

Arthur Verocai

Nora Orlandi

Wendy & Bonnie

Wilburn Burchette

Albums that did not live up to the (ridiculously massive) hype:

East of Underground

Boscoe

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Steve Reid -Rhymatism
    Dee Dee Bridgewater-Afro Blue
    BOSCOE (I never had heard of it, so I don't know of any SS-hype factor, but I love it)
    Land of the Blacks
    Sons and Daughters of Lite
    Kusini
    Xingu

Thanks again urrrybody!

Anybody else surprised by the large number of psych/psych-ish LPs repped here?
    Not any kind of judgement, just a bit surprised...

• Albums that I enjoyed, that I had not heard prior to this thread[/b]

-Aguaturbia
    -Psycheground
    -Arthur Verocai
    -Gal Costa (I really liked this one. can you guys any more Gal or albums with a similar vibe?)
    -Maceo and All the Kings Men
    -Air
    -Food
    -Sons and Daughter of Lite

haven't checked everything. but this is it so far....

that did not live up to the (ridiculously massive) hype:[/b]

Gotta agree with Twoply here.
    -East of Underground (Although I found my head-bopping to bet'ya never lose my love & Helll Below
    -Boscoe
    -Archie Whitewater (Didn't enjoy it as well as I hoped, except for Seacoast

• Co-sign on the Food LP... I finally copped the Air LP, the whole thing is great.

• Yeah, but I appreciate the psych rock/folky stuff. i know nothing about those genres, but have enjoyed soem of them.

I tried 'Psycheground' 5 times with no success. Just hope one of my fellow Aussies grabbed it.

These Trails - These Trials
    Gemini - Rising
    Augusto Martelli - Black Sound From White People
    Laghonia - Etcetera
    Lloyd Price - Music Music
    Trio Mocot?? - Trio Mocot??
    Flow

And ones i should have but don't have yet, even on re-ish...
    Nico Gomez - Ritual
    Baby Huey - Baby Huey Story

Others just wouldn't download on my slowed down speed. Thanks to the 'Raer Raps' thread...

My mind is still on Megablast...

• Albums that did not live up to the (ridiculously massive) hype[/b]:

East of Underground

Boscoe

the hype is because they are impossible to find, or listen to as result. don't even tell me they aren't good records.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

I tried 'Psycheground' 5 times with no success. Just hope one of my fellow Aussies grabbed it.

i'll try uploading it again later tonight.. no idea why it isn't working. i tried it on another computer and it worked fine.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Albums that did not live up to the (ridiculously massive) hype[/b]:

East of Underground

Boscoe

i kinda agree about east of underground, shit is nice but not $1000 nice. Boscoe on the other hand is sick as fuck, imho, probably my favorite thing i've listened to from that thread so far.

Other shit i listened to so far:
    The JR Bailey is a facemelter and a half, for some reason i thought it might be a corny modern soul record.

Kusini is dope as hell, but i'm missing the first four tracks. i want to see this movie so badly.

Trio Mocoto is pretty nice, i think i need to spend some more time with it.

i listened to the mussolini and i didn't think it lived up to they hype. shit was mad boring.

dockstader was nice for what it was but not at all seeing his earlier work.

probably half the other shit is destined to sit on my hard drive for like a year until i rediscover it.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Tom Recchion

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dont wanna come off as a mooch, i tried uploading a bunch of things but yousendit just hung everytime...

i dug these:

karma - celebration
    East of The Underground - this has a charm to it.. sounds a bit like ass though
    Ronie & Central Do Brasil
    Caetano & Gal - used to bust this on the regular hadnt heard it in awhile
    Flow - this is nice
    Food - wanted to hear this for along time.. not exactly killin me but im still listening
    chosen few
    allen toussaint
    Azymuth
    Ralfi Pagan
    gemini
    karen jones
    Trio Mocot??
    Xingu
    GIL SCOTT HERON & BRIAN JACKSON
    heaven & earth - refuge - this is nice!
    catalyse - dope

goin to listen too again but havent exactly wowed me either:

laghonia
    Wojciech Karolak
    Ernie Hines
    El Combo Xingu
    Haystacks Balboa
    Lloyd Price - Music Music
    MOVING GELATINE PLATES
    peter ivers' band - knight of the blue communion
    bonga kuenda

things that got scimmed and then burned off the drive;

lialeh - boring
    whatnauts - unlistenable
    steve reid - dull
    marcus belgrade -ditto
    lost generation - yawn
    shocking blue - good go no
    air - unlistenable
    montreal scene - snore
    wendy and bonnie - no not really
    these trails - mmmmmm maybe one good jam
    gap mangione
    duke pearson
    bobby hutcherson
    dee dee bridgewater
    sons and daughters - man we sold alot of this back when the reissue came out, really doesnt do anything for me in retrospect

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I was feeling

East Of Underground
    Milton Wright
    Boscoe
    Gap Mangione
    J.R. Bailey is real nice!
    Nick Ayoub

I need to listen to more of what I have to make a fair judgement.. some real raw stuff on that Psycheground group though.. feeling that one for sure.

that East Of Underground has a certain vibe that really appeals to me.. the recording is raw but good, the vocals are mixed pretty much however they felt at the time, loud in the mix, but everything sounds right

plus.. popcorn.... damn

whatnauts - unlistenable
    marcus belgrave -ditto
    air - unlistenable

you are tripping.

in my opinion, of course.

I need to listen to more of what I have to make a fair judgement.. some real raw stuff on that Psycheground group though.. feeling that one for sure.

couldnt get that one to downnload.

another slight let down was Aquaturbia

alot of these psych records would have been my shit me away 6 years ago but i think i've moved on a bit...

• I broke out "ritual" for running yesterday.

Then "Ball of eyes" for making dinner. The lady likes this one, epecially the cover of "inner city blues".

Psycheground was a face melter but a little boring to me. I like "traffic" tho.

re: east of underground and boscoe. It's kind of hilarious how peoples listening tastes attach their names to albums. EoU gives me shivers on at least half the tracks. so anyhow I'm not going to defend these except to say that they are good enough that I don't have to defend them.

Oh yeah, hi, I'm in the middle of a hurricane. But it's not too bad, just like a heavy thunderstorm where I am. But nothing is open and classes are canceled so I'm just sittin about.

whatnauts - unlistenable
    marcus belgrave -ditto
    air - unlistenable

you are tripping.

well i think the audio quality of the air rip is just atrocius.. or does the record really sound that bad??? i took one listen to that and it went straight to the trash... yes it has drums but girly was gettin on my nerves.

i know ill come back to the wendy and bonnie.. but it was a tad go go for my likes.

the whatnauts again the rip might just be really bad... but the sound was really unpleasent to my ears

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I guess you have time to check all these facemelters now?

thats what i would do if i was sitting with a hurricane all around me

whatnauts - unlistenable
    marcus belgrave -ditto
    air - unlistenable

you are tripping.

well i think the audio quality of the air rip is just atrocius.. or does the record really sound that bad??? i took one listen to that and it went straight to the trash... yes it has drums but girly was gettin on my nerves.

i know ill come back to the wendy and bonnie.. but it was a tad go go for my likes.

the whatnauts again the rip might just be really bad... but the sound was really unpleasent to my ears

air, not about drums.

it's meant for the right day though. it's quirky, but unique. very emotional.

Wendy and Bonnie - I can listen to that thing repeatedly.

• whatnauts - unlistenable

marcus belgrave -ditto

air - unlistenable

you are tripping.

air, not about drums.

Good question about the Air, I sat down and listened to it but thought it was recorded bad, was that the rip or the actual recording, like Dubious said, almost unlistenable. I liked this album when I heard it, but don't remember it sounding like that. Def. not complaining though, thanks to Anasarcasm (sp?) for uploading it!

whatnauts - unlistenable
    marcus belgrave -ditto
    air - unlistenable

you are tripping.

air, not about drums.

Good question about the Air, I sat down and listened to it but thought it was recorded bad, was that the rip or the actual recording, like Dubious said, almost unlistenable. I liked this album when I heard it, but don't remember it sounding like that. Def. not complaining though, thanks to Anasarcasm (sp?) for uploading it!

I haven't listened to dude's rip of it, so can't say. some rips were highly suspect in quality though.

• For now I don't care to much how it sounds because I like the Air record best from what I downloaded so far. I also dig the Shades of Joy record a lot.

I'll upload something tomorrow (have to record first...).

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

East of The Underground - this has a charm to it.. sounds a bit like ass though

Been wondering about this one. Is that the sound of the record? I know is , but we can't forget we are hearing the whole sound-chain here: cart-turntable-preamp-soundcard. Maybe a bad link in the chain? Or is it the actual sound of this raer?

Owners of the real thing: what's the truth?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

whatnauts - unlistenable

marcus belgrave -ditto

air - unlistenable

you are tripping.

air, not about drums.

I haven't listened to dude's rip of it, so can't say. some rips were highly suspect in quality though.

it's recorded too loud & is distorted.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread just confirms the truth of the ol' "diff't strokes for diff't folks" cliche.

My two cents: East of Underground is well worth the hype. Loved that shit. But I like it for its backstory and not just the music itself (though I thought that sounded good too).

The Air wasn't the best encoding I've ever heard yet despite lo-fi quality, I thought it sounded great. I want that LP now.

Not feeling the Dee Dee Bridgewater. Just not my sound. I could totally see it on a Giles Peterson mix-CD though.

This Trails = snoozy. Not my thing.

Duke Pearson was most excellent.

Sarah Webster Fabio was ok but not really fuckin' with "Alchemy of the Blues."

The Mulatu Afro Soul stuff was cool...I think I like his more Ethiopian-influenced jazz better though.

Tommie Young was ok. Some great moments but not an end-to-end burner.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Food
    Boscoe
    Arthur Verocai

totally blew my mind. anyone got a copy of Food to trade off? i need that bad

I forgot to mention

John Hicks-Hell's Bells

good goood goood gooooood, thanks!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this thread makes me want to add more to the other thread. time for some under the radar facemelters perhaps.

• This thread just confirms the truth of the ol' "diff't strokes for diff't folks" cliche.

I agree. Alot of the jazz that was put up = Just puts me to sleep.

My two cents: East of Underground is well worth the hype. Loved that shit. But I like it for its backstory and not just the music itself (though I thought that sounded good too).
    The Air wasn't the best encoding I've ever heard yet despite lo-fi quality, I thought it sounded great. I want that LP now.

What's the backstory with that lp? Don't get me wrong, If I found a copy, I'd keep it. But I wouldn't and couldn't and probably will never shell out three or four figures for it. Cosign on the Air. Anyone got a copy?

This thread just confirms the truth of the ol' "diff't strokes for diff't folks" cliche.

i think it also depends on what you're listening to the stuff on.. if its through lil powered 10 watt computer jobs than it all sounds pretty decent... same for those nasty ipod phones.

i've got my computer hooked up to my studio monitors and bad sounding mp3's sound EXTRA ASS on these...

that air was atrocious... ditto on the east of underground.. but its more endearing on the underground record..

ike turner sounds pretty bad too.. but it works for the material.. .one song is worse than the others for some reason.

and yeah 90% of the jazz on there was straight snoresville