Post a good starting salary for a college grad

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Just curious. Tack on a field and location.Someone asked me not long ago if $30k was a good starting salary and I had to think about it. I would say $30k is a reasonable starting salary for your generic business grad. Maybe?

Comments

• Unless that's for cleaning toilets I'd say, gethafukataher. You gotta keep it real, son. Slap 'em in the face for that.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Keep in mind I'm not necessarily referring to NYC or LA.

• On my street you can't buy a mini hut for that.

On my street you can't buy a mini hut for that.

I know, real estate/cost of living for you retiree village livers weirds me out.

• unpaid internship

unpaid internship

I've heard that's expected in some areas; here they at least pay something.

I sure wouldn't do that after graduating though.

• Fuck that 30,000. I would set my shit kinda high even if living there doesn't cost much. How much have you spent on college so far? I have no idea what a good salary would be but 30k sounds low after having gone to school for so long.

I don't know.

I would think so too, but times are tough.

• Fuck that 30,000. I would set my shit kinda high even if living there doesn't cost much. How much have you spent on college so far? I have no idea what a good salary would be but 30k sounds low after having gone to school for so long.

I think everybody would agree with that.

But you can't really price yourself out of the market. Who am I holding out for? People work for that, I'd probably be sitting around twiddling my thumbs otherwise.

Let's see though:

Your Results
    If you make: $30,000
    Living in: Cleveland, Ohio

---

Then
    You would
    need to make: $44,705
    Living in: Washington, DC

Then
    You would
    need to make: $46,763
    Living in: Los Angeles, California

Then
    You would
    need to make: $60,989
    Living in: San Francisco, California

Then
    You would
    need to make: $78,427
    Living in: NYC (Manhattan), New York
    ---

If I could somehow telecommute to Manhattan. Hmm.

DAYUM!!!

• $853,492. Hustler. Anywhere on God's green earth.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I wonder if folks on here who responded actually have jobs.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    as with any college degree, unless you have work experience, you can't expect to be paid much. i recently graduated with a degree in biopsych from a good public university and i received several offers from jobs i applied to, most being a bit under 40 grand. the only reason i got offers was due to the fact that i had 1.5 years of exp volunteering in a few labs. other than actual experience the degree doesn't mean much.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In the Midwest (barring Chicago, maybe) I would say $30k is a reasonable starting salary for your generic business grad.

I would hope that the payoff for devoting one's college years to the study of something as uninspiring yet practical as business would be a starting salary higher than 30K.

Fuck that 30,000. I would set my shit kinda high even if living there doesn't cost much. How much have you spent on college so far? I have no idea what a good salary would be but 30k sounds low after having gone to school for so long.

But you can't really price yourself out of the market. Who am I holding out for? People work for that, I'd probably be sitting around twiddling my thumbs otherwise.

Let's see though:

Your Results

---

Then
    You would

Then
    You would

Then
    You would

Then
    You would
    ---

Out of curiousity, what website is this from?

• 35k peace, stein. . .

I wonder if folks on here who responded actually have jobs.

I do not believe that the respondent who expects a starting salary of $853,492.00 upon graduation has ever had one...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I'm sayin'!! 30K is nothing to scoff at people. Y'all are out of your minds.

Seems like most Midwestern cities excluding Chicago are pretty low.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    For Ohio that sounds about right... Maybe slightly low for Cleveland area, but not bad. Cost of living is cheap there, and you can pretty much count on your first two years out of school to be paying dues. Stick with the job if you take it for a year to get the experience and to see if there is any room for advancement. If you take it I would start looking for a new job in about 6 months to see what is out there and see if you can get more money. You are in a much better negotiating position with a job than with out.

• as with any college degree, unless you have work experience, you can't expect to be paid much.[/b]

• I'm sayin'!! 30K is nothing to scoff at people. Y'all are out of your minds.

co-sign. if you are still at said job in 2 years makin only 30k, than you got a problem.

• [quote

Let's see though:

Your Results

---

Then
    You would

Then
    You would

Then
    You would

Then
    You would
    ---

For what type of job?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i would say 30K is very much on the low side if we are talking about a "business grad". even in the mid-west, a graduate with a business degree (assuming you have even remotely good grades and even perhaps "some" work experience) should be looking around 40k.

A/P clerks and admins may warrant a 30K starting salary, but i would say most college graduates with business degrees typically enter their positions closer to 40k.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    30 - 35k is about average for a BA or BS degree.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    $10.50 / hour.

BA in graphic design.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm sayin'!! 30K is nothing to scoff at people. Y'all are out of your minds.

co-sign. if you are still at said job in 2 years makin only 30k, than you got a problem.

Yup, it's called getting experience, 'paying dues', making a living, getting your hustle on. I would say that's a livable wage for a single person, but you may have to look at an extra-grind on the weekends/nights with kids to take care of.

But don't be like one dude I know, who will sponge of his Ma(who ain't rich, mind you), living with her and NOT paying his child support(after all, he's unemployed), because he WAS making $80k once, got fired, and now looks down his nose at a $68k salary being offered. TCB.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    $10.50 / hour.

BA in graphic design.

i charge $30hr for design work

but im lucky if i clear 20k a year

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    In this economy I wouldn't be so sure to be making beaucoup cash outta college. Last year I made $15,000 with my Masters degree as a Teachers aide. The two years before that I was freelancing and temping and living on savings.

Now I'm a full-time teacher and it feels good to be able to pay rent, but you guess what my salary is.

Alls I know is I plan to be back in SF in a few years and I won't be making no $68,000 a year.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    $10.50 / hour.

BA in graphic design.

i charge $30hr for design work

but im lucky if i clear 20k a year

Saying. Some of these estimates depress me. I work in the newspaper business and we are so low-paid lackeys, especially when I always chat with school administrators or government folk who cry about their $150K-plus salaries and $40,000 expense accounts. I need to get a new line of work.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    but dont you get a pension and 100 days off a year?