Crate Staples (DJ related)

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited October 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
It's been a while since we've done this, but what are some "absolutelyneverleavesyourcratesnomatterwhatthegig" records everyone's rocking?Here's a few off the topAfro Heat 2 & 3Cosmo's remix never fails to get the girls jingling

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I haven't gone a night in a long time regardless of the crowd without playing this...

Some newer ones in my crates...

And of course...

And soon to be 'Gone Bad' whenever that comes out. Gotta be soon, right? I just got hipped to it and need it bad.

DJ Ferrari

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I always have something off the chronic
    and "Ain't no fun" at anytime you can pull down the volume fader and hear tons of girls say things like "and you even licked my balls"

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I always have something off the chronic
    and "Ain't no fun" at anytime you can pull down the volume fader and hear tons of girls say things like "and you even licked my balls"

No doubt that's another one that's always with me.

Last week there were these white, dreadlocked, dirty hippy dudes with acoustic guitars that were an opening act at this gig I did. I was like "wtf?" then they got on and the first song they did was an acoustic version of "It Ain't No Fun".
    Everyone in the place was like

Btw, can we get some names for these records? Ferrari I'm not up on some of those newer one's.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Btw, can we get some names for these records? Ferrari I'm not up on some of those newer one's.

I have to give names because I can't find pictures of most of my current staples.

"West Up!"--W.C., Ice Cube, Mack 10 (This is like the theme song for my weekly)

"Grand Verbalizer, What Time Is It?"--X-Clan (I always find a way to play this)

"Just Hangin' Out"--Main Source (I don't know if this will ever leave my crate)

"It's Great To Be Here"--Jackson 5 (The remix on Disco Juice...killer)

Anything by Mantronix, though favorites are "Needle to the Groove," "Listen to the Bass of Get Stupid Fresh, Part II," "Gangster Boogie," and "Join Me Please (Homeboys Make Some Noise)"

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i tend to value LP's that have more than one dope track... saves yr back...

temps- solid rock
    jackson 5- get it together
    nico gomez- ritual
    invaders- spacing out
    ray baretto- acid

i am hung over and my brain is fogged, have to add more later when i am home...

• When I was DJing it was:

Dimples D - Sucker DJ (Genie Remix)

Rockmaster Scott - Roof Is On Fire

MC Shy D - Shake It

I guess those are obvious though.

Not So Obvious:

Sometimes 'Esquivel - Mucha Muchacha' got a good response. I'm serious. I remember dropping that shit out of nowhere once and the floor actually filled up.

Sleeve & Lowman - So Fine mp3 Sample
    Chris Joss - Discotheque Dancing mp3 Sample

If you like the Patucchi edit, you'll like these. Word,

DJ Ferrari

• HewHew 17 Posts
    i tend to value LP's that have more than one dope track... saves yr back...

invaders- spacing out
    ray baretto- acid

those are essentials

a few that never leave my box too...
    jstar - no diggity
    mungo's hi-fi - ing
    dj ole - epidemic
    speedometer - work it out
    eugene blacknell - we've got to live together (miles drum edit)
    dennis coffey trio - hair and thangs
    rebtuz vol3

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Sleeve & Lowman - So Fine mp3 Sample
    Chris Joss - Discotheque Dancing mp3 Sample

If you like the Patucchi edit, you'll like these. Word,

DJ Ferrari

that Chris Joss is the one with the Fort Knox Five remix on it, no?

do you have the FK5 remix of Dynamo Productions on Unique? Fiyah.

• Man I Would have to Say.

these all make me feel real at home. All pretty common, but great music.

• DILDO

that Chris Joss is the one with the Fort Knox Five remix on it, no?

do you have the FK5 remix of Dynamo Productions on Unique? Fiyah.

Yeah, they remix the flipside track. Wrong Alley Street or something like that. That Dynamo Productions is fiyah no doubt.

DJ Ferrari

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    WORD TO

DILDO

• Is there anywhere I can pick this up still?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Is there anywhere I can pick this up still?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You'd have to ask Ol(rock)ski. I'm pretty sure they're all sold out. I know I have zero copies left besides the few I stashed for my kids.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

Is there anywhere I can pick this up still?

soon to be raer ebay staples

• i dont think Lonnie liston Smith's Expansions has ever not been in my "crates." I love playing that track late night. You can double up on it for ever, and then just let it play out. Everybody loves this track, Even the "I dont dance headz" will bust some bennington hippie shit. Plaent Rock mixes into this so nicely as well. oh and that cut shadows is great for loungy bar scenes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY

DILDO

• 80s and booty tech get the crowd pretty hyped these days, so I always bring I Wonder if I Take You Home and Square Biz, and some booty shit like There's Some Whore's in This House.

Rockcreek Park by the Blackbyrds is a cool record that a lot of clubbers haven't heard, but everyone loves it anyway, so I bring that a lot too.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Cheryl Lynn's 'To Be Real' and Roy Ayers' Runnung Away are 2 I NEVER leave home without

• Here are a couple staples that come from my previous incarnation as a 90's indie rocker:

Blonde Redhead - Missile (huge funky drums on this and it usually gets any old indie rockers in the room hyped).

JSBX98 remixed by Calvin Johnson - Zebra Ranch. This is actually the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion remixed by the K Records guy but don't let that scare you off. Seriously, I throw this on when I need to inject new energy into my set. Crazy primal funk that is easy to mix in and out of.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Never leave without:

Check Brown - Bustin' out 12"
    Lyn Collins - Think 7"
    James Brown - sex machine 7"
    Mohawks - The Champ 12"
    Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's just begun 12" (re-edit)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Afro Heat 2 & 3

Day I really love Afro-Heat 1. I checked out number 2 (the one with Michael Jackson?) wasn't feeling it at all. What is three like?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Day I really love Afro-Heat 1. I checked out number 2 (the one with Michael Jackson?) wasn't feeling it at all. What is three like?

Ahhh you got the raer one. 2 & 3 are cool and are good for transitions in or out of styles. That Michael Jackson one is a good example. I'd rather play Billie Jean with Fela on top than the original after hearing that shit a million times. And most crowds seem to feel the same. They're worth picking up IMO.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Basically, anything by Luke... Back when I was killing shit in High School, 'Scarred' was

• [2 & 3 are cool and are good for transitions in or out of styles. That Michael Jackson one is a good example. I'd rather play Billie Jean with Fela on top than the original after hearing that shit a million times. And most crowds seem to feel the same. They're worth picking up IMO.

co-sign on all 3 afro-heats.

I haven't played a gig in six months, but I doubt these would leave the crate anyway:

- the afro-heats;
    - erykah badu "bag lady" 12"
    - sade downtempo edits mainly for that "by your side" neptunes mix
    - jackson 5 "it's great to be here" edit
    - prince "gett off" 12"
    - poor righteous teachers "time to say peace/butt naked booty bless" 12"
    - mary jane girls "all night long" 12"
    - big "hypnotize" 12"
    - de la soul "keeping the faith" 12"
    - public enemy "fight the power" 12"
    - bombers "the mexican"

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    speaking of FK5, Ive been playing there Tower of Power remix like crazy..

peace

• Basically, anything by Luke... Back when I was killing shit in High School, 'Scarred' was

Seriously one of my favoritestest songs ever!!!! That shit was played to death in the ville back in the day and i loved it.