Plaese to recomend a DJ mixer

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm sure this has been posted before, but indulge me....My current mixer has some weird humming shit going on, so I think I'm in the market for something quality, yo.It doesn't need to be fancy. basically a nice sound, 3 eq knobs for bass, mids, and treble, inputs for 2 turntables and at least 1 cd input, and not to big.and preferably under 500 dollars. the more under, the more better, of course.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    how is this one?

Vestax PMC-05PROIII

• Rane no Vestax

Rane no Vestax

I kinda thought somebody might say that....

seems like people really like Rane.

• I have a vestax and it works alright, but I have used rane mixers many times and they are far superior. If I ever have the loot for a new mixer thats what I'll get.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Where u gonna find a Rane for under 5 bills????????? You could go used, but I'm not big on used Dizzy (Just a personal preference).

• I missed the under $500 part. That might be tough with the features you are looking for.

• Look around for deals man. I got a vestax 007 for $400, which is a good deal because its normally over $700 I think.

And I think vestax is pretty good, but rane may be better. You can get a vestax vmc for like $200, although it's not the best. But for intro purposes it's fine.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Rane no Vestax

I heard Vestax quality went to shit when they switched to a Chinese manufacturer.

RANE TTM 54i

????????????????????

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    One of our DJ's use Rane and he absuloutely swears by it. I think his set him back 7 bills wholesale though.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    RANE TTM 54i

????????????????????

Good mixer. I had one for a couple years. The faders tend to wear out kind of quick but I don't know if you're gonna be scratching etc. so that might not be an issue for you. I also had a problem with the pre-fader effects send/return. Again, might not be a big deal for you either.

Honestly though, if you can't get a Rane TTM56 I'd look into an Allen & Heath Xone mixer. I can't remember the model # and I'm on (motherfucking) dialup at work so finding any kind of jpeg raer is a pain in zee ass, but it's a VERY good mixer. I think it might be a Xone 02.

• I've had rane ttm-52 for 6 years now. When a fader starts to bleed, you just switch it with a volume fader, although it took over 2 years for my fader to start to bleed.

Rane is top-notch...also I hear the Pioneer 707 is a good deal. I think you can get that between $300 - $400.

• Good mixer. I had one for a couple years. The faders tend to wear out kind of quick but I don't know if you're gonna be scratching etc. so that might not be an issue for you. I also had a problem with the pre-fader effects send/return. Again, might not be a big deal for you either.

Honestly though, if you can't get a Rane TTM56 I'd look into an Allen & Heath Xone mixer. I can't remember the model # and I'm on (motherfucking) dialup at work so finding any kind of jpeg raer is a pain in zee ass, but it's a VERY good mixer. I think it might be a Xone 02.

Go with the Rane if you can get it at that price. And major cosign on Allen & Heath - they use discrete technology so it sounds so much warmer than most mixers. This one is $499

Xone 02

And we got the Vestax 07Pro for $399 at the shop - these are some deadstock warehouse finds from before Vestax got bought out and started using cheaper parts.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I know you want to spend under 500 bucks, but the TTM-56 is only $600 but that shit should last you forever.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    If you can find one, get the Pioneer 707. For real its pretty much the same as a Rane at 1/2 or a 1/3 of the cost. They stopped making them so they cut the price to clear out their inventory. The mixer is dope and everyone I talked to that bought one loves it.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ...the Pioneer 707. For real its pretty much the same as a Rane

Eh..I wouldn't go that far. The Pioneer 707/909's are close to the 56, but the sound quality and never having to replace the faders in the 56 is the biggest difference between them. Like Brian said, the Rane 56 is pretty much the best you can buy and will last you for manymanymany years (that's why I use one ).

But for your budget I'd honestly go with the Allen & Heath. Vestax can lick the balls.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

THIS BABY RIGHT HEEEERREE

• I bought one of the Vestax PMC 05 Pros when it first came out several years ago.
    Is it worth anything now?

Of the Rane TTM56 and Allen & Heath Xone 02, which adds less noise to the sound?
    In other words, with no music playing which is quieter?

Thanks.

I bought one of the Vestax PMC 05 Pros when it first came out several years ago.
    Is it worth anything now?

Of the Rane TTM56 and Allen & Heath Xone 02, which adds less noise to the sound?
    In other words, with no music playing which is quieter?

Thanks.

Good question.... although I'd be suprised if anybody here has actually compared the two enough to know....

• If you can find one, get the Pioneer 707. For real its pretty much the same as a Rane at 1/2 or a 1/3 of the cost. They stopped making them so they cut the price to clear out their inventory. The mixer is dope and everyone I talked to that bought one loves it.

Didn't we have this convo yesterday, Ma**hew? Ha ha.

But Dizzy, foreally...find a Pioneer 707. Superdutytough mixer, and I got mine new in the box off Ebay for under $300.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I've been hearing it's getting harder and harder to find 707s now.

Good mixer. I had one for a couple years. The faders tend to wear out kind of quick but I don't know if you're gonna be scratching etc. so that might not be an issue for you. I also had a problem with the pre-fader effects send/return. Again, might not be a big deal for you either.

Go with the Rane if you can get it at that price. And major cosign on Allen & Heath - they use discrete technology so it sounds so much warmer than most mixers. This one is $499

Xone 02

And we got the Vestax 07Pro for $399 at the shop - these are some deadstock warehouse finds from before Vestax got bought out and started using cheaper parts.

I'm doing a little interwebs reading on this thing right now and I'm liking what I sees.....

I think I might have to pick this up.

if anybody has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peice.

then maybe day can teach me how to scratch good.

• I think I might have to pick this up.

if anybody has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peice.

then maybe day can teach me how to scratch good.

Good choice - the sound on the Xone series is dope.

And I give lessons....

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    If it's any more help, when I DJ'd at Root Down I brought my Rane and the sound guy was like "pssshhh... Rane is shit. This is the house mixer and it's got the best quality sound there is.". I thought dude was out of his mind but I used it that night with no problems and was pretty impressed.

Overall, Rane is still the champ to me.

• vestax function well. but they ain't built for the road. i've been through about 12 05's and 07's the only one i have that's held up is the o.g. grey 05 pro. made of steel and built like a tank. and about twice as heavy as a new 05. peace, stein. . .

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many gadgets.
    Give me a 56, not the Starship Enterprise flight deck.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    The only reason i would stay away from the Pioneer 909 is because the effects processor is built in. If it breaks then its an issue with your whole mixer,not just the (seperate) effects box. I never heard anyone say anything regarding the sound quality of the 707 vs. 56, but I will definately note it and try to see if I hear the same thing. good to know.

• If it's any more help, when I DJ'd at Root Down I brought my Rane and the sound guy was like "pssshhh... Rane is shit. This is the house mixer and it's got the best quality sound there is.". I thought dude was out of his mind but I used it that night with no problems and was pretty impressed.

What was the house mixer?

I dj'd this spot in LA for a while and the house mixer was an Allen & Heath. It had great sound, but i was not feeling the fader at all...it wasn't that Xone 02 though.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    If it's any more help, when I DJ'd at Root Down I brought my Rane and the sound guy was like "pssshhh... Rane is shit. This is the house mixer and it's got the best quality sound there is.". I thought dude was out of his mind but I used it that night with no problems and was pretty impressed.

I dj'd this spot in LA for a while and the house mixer was an Allen & Heath. It had great sound, but i was not feeling the fader at all...it wasn't that Xone 02 though.

That settles it. Thats the jernt that I shalt coppeth.