WHY DO YOU COLLECT RECORDS?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited October 2005 in Record Collecting
i know back in the day to me it was more for status and because i was looking for them breakbeats. past few years i have gotten out of that and look for records that no one has or even considers. i still collect records and i don't think i will ever stop. the thing that gets me is ok so what if you have all these records what are you doing with them? if your a producer you use what you can. just because i don't have the raerest record doesnt mean i won't be succesful. is their a club that makes you this big collector that everyone brags about? just asking cause i see alot of cats that have massive collections and really never do anything with them or never really come with it with the production. out all those records they come up with weak tracks with no real dopeness. just asking not hating on anyone.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm no serious collector..........I just like music.

• I don't consider myself a collector of anything. I use the things I own but when it comes to records I mainly like hip-hop. For some reason I can't up myself yet to pay more than 10 bucks on anything not hip-hop. Everything else I have to get cheap or I won't get it. I don't get excited over other records unless I am going to sell them.

Also I kinda don't get the point as to why people collect hip-hop. Why collect and not put it to use on tapes and whatnot?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    To own; shelve away; and never look at, listen to, or think of again.

Also I kinda don't get the point in collecting hip-hop.

Devil's advocate:

I dont find anything wrong w/collecting any form of music. You can collect without ever "using" it. U dont have to even play it. Just aquiring the object
    is fine. IMO.

To each his own.

• Also I kinda don't get the point in collecting hip-hop.

Devil's advocate:

I dont find anything wrong w/collecting any form of music. You can collect without ever "using" it. U dont have to even play it. Just aquiring the object
    is fine. IMO.

To each his own.

Ya I get what you mean. I am not meaning anything by it but from my point of view I like getting hip-hop records to listen, use in tapes, etc. I just can't get joy out of just having something. That's just me.

Devil's advocate:

is fine. IMO.

To each his own.

Ya I get what you mean. I am not meaning anything by it but from my point of view I like getting hip-hop records to listen, use in tapes, etc. I just can't get joy out of just having something. That's just me.

Devil's advocate:

If you cop a wack Hip hop album, do you sell/trade it or take the loss?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    For the chicks, man, the chicks.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    My walls just used to look too stark

For the chicks, man, the chicks.

True................

Records + DJ gigs =

• Because knowing that I own certain records makes me feel warm and tingly inside.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    because i like a lot of different styles of music, and i mostly purchase stuff i'll actually listen to.

as far as producing, i kinda lay low on the whole sampling thing. i'll drop a sample every once in a while but mostly just putting together more abstract keys and drums stuff. where's that wizard rock graemlin when i need it?

Devil's advocate:

is fine. IMO.

To each his own.

Devil's advocate:

If you cop a wack Hip hop album, do you sell/trade it or take the loss?

Depends on how wack. If it is wack but has value I sell it or trade it and even if it doesn't have much value I attempt to sell it to a store and then finally if all those don't work I just keep it and take a loss.

On that note also. If I get something valuable and it is soul or something else I tend to want to get rid of it fast because it is most likely just gonna kick it here doing nothing.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

What about listening to music? There are several 12" with exclusive non album tracks & remixes.

What about listening to music? There are several 12" with exclusive non album tracks & remixes.

forgot about those. Listening is cool but most of the time it is cheaper to buy a cd. Not all the time though.

• Options
    I get an extreme emotional high off hearing dope tunes I've never heard before, and I needs me some smoke

K in Canada.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    -I like listening to music in as close to original format as possible.

-I find the process of looking for old records which sometimes are found below "market value" to be a worthwhile endeavor. I also think that the process of flipping over records to get to the 2nd half of the album is a more interactive experience (although it's sometimes a pain) and adds to the listening experience as a whole.

• some of the dopest music that i've never heard before was vinyl. I get to listen to all this cool shit while finding breaks at the same time.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I collect records for the muisc, + I think I have OCD.

I'm totally not into the prestige of it though. I love music, and I love how it sounds on wax. I will buy reissues. I'm not an audiophile.

If you wanna know why most people on this board collect records then read one of the shoe posts. They are very telling.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

forgot about those. Listening is cool but most of the time it is cheaper to buy a cd. Not all the time though.

Another thing for me is the listening experience - I was just bumping "Shout" by Craig G & Marley Marl - the bass was full, the sound filled my living room. CDs are nice & sound good on the right player, but, IMO, they are often lean & the treble is a little hot. I don't know if I can even get "Shout" on cd. Also, I can listen to more records at one time than cds. There is an audio fatigue that kicks in with me with cds on certain systems. It doesn't even have to take long - 20 minutes or something - I never have that problem with wax. I wish more major labels would put out better quality reissues of hip hop wax, like simply vinyl, but I guess the market isn't really out there. If there were better quality reissues I wouldn't the cop OG vinyl as much. I thought the OC lp reissue was amazing, but since that wasn't followed up by anything else, I guess it didn't do too well.

• I get an extreme emotional high off hearing dope tunes I've never heard before, and I needs me some smoke

co-sign

plus the artwork looks better at 12" vs. 5"

• I also think that the process of flipping over records to get to the 2nd half of the album is a more interactive experience (although it's sometimes a pain) and adds to the listening experience as a whole.

so true!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Why does there need to be an end product to everything one does in life? What ever happened to doing something, be it buying, selling, collecting or sampling records for the joy it brings to you. Honestly, if you analyze everything you own and do everyday on the merit of sometangible gain it's gonna be bringing you they I kinda feel sorry for you.

fact:

We are here for a limited amount of time

Everyone copes with this fact through some means...

---

Let me ask you a question...Why are you here? Are you getting something out of it? What is it? Money? Success? Vaildation?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Why does there need to be an end product to everything one does in life? What ever happened to doing something, be it buying, selling, collecting or sampling records for the joy it brings to you. Honestly, if you analyze everything you own and do everyday on the merit of sometangible gain it's gonna be bringing you they I kinda feel sorry for you.

fact:

---

Let me ask you a question...Why are you here? Are you getting something out of it? What is it? Money? Success? Vaidation?

hey i completely understand what you're saying. A lot of people place value only on tangible things, and it's a shame. It's definitely something to keep in mind, as i try to step it up in the corporate world (eww).

to many MONEY = SUCCESS + VALIDATION

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

I'm totally not into the prestige

i love music, and can not get enough of the sweet soul music, gritty funk, quality jazz, hip hop, reggae and anything else i can find on wax.

i am not in it for the prestige despite my name.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

fact:

---

Let me ask you a question...Why are you here? Are you getting something out of it? What is it? Money? Success? Vaildation?

my brain hurts after reading your post, Asp

good thoughts lead to good things

cheers,

M

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    yeah a few commas are missing in that thing.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

i love music, and can not get enough of the sweet soul music, gritty funk, quality jazz, hip hop, reggae and anything else i can find on wax.

haha! nothing personal.

I have nothing but luv for the Prestige label as well.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

haha! nothing personal.

I have nothing but luv for the Prestige label as well.

nothing personal taken krink!

• cuz [most] hip hop sucks now and all the good music is old music and if i'm gonna buy it it might as well be on vinyl.

• jenyjeny 14 Posts
    I do not have anything els to do!