1st record you ever got

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
which record set it off for y'all?Don't laugh but for me it was this...

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    with my parent's money

with my own money

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• And I clearly remember thinking that the inside cover was really creepy.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

KISS - Rock and Roll Over LP

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Believe it or not, Bama's Ghettoes of the Mind.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Bought... have no idea.

Inherited = Joeski Love's - "Pee Wee's Dance" 12"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i got these three in almost opposite order...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Speed Racer TV show OST, in spanish

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Back to the 70s folls! LOL
    It was either a Bill Cosby LP or a Jackson 5 LP. My brother and I used to rock records on a orange and white fisher price portable.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i started off really well: ATCQ - People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm

but that doesn't mean that i haven't done big mistakes in the past!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    The first thing I bought when I reveived my first salary

Peace

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    some gold house record with love in music, and no UFOs, I think.

It had the AHHH scratch on it. And I used it to death.
    Then traded it for a blue vinyl house record. Maybe this is the one with Love in Music and No UFOs. Damn, I'm losing it.

• My older sister gave it to me for 7th birthday. I also got a really dope little turntable stereo that birthday. It was white with 8" square speakers and the frame was sorta like a sideways H; the speakers could be removed from the ends of the H. I would lay on the floor, put a speaker next to each ear like massive headphones, and stare at the ceiling, playing that record over and over.

But that's not the first record I ever bought, only the first I ever got.

I was really, really int Jackson Browne "Doctor My Eyes" when I was little. (Hell, I'm still really into it.) When I was about 8, I decided that I needed my own copy, so I called Ted's Record Shop in Port Arthur, TX. It was probably the first time I'd ever placed a phone call to someone I didn't know, a business no less, and I got all nervous and forgot the name of the song. But somehow, I'd managed to stumble on a friendly record store employee (!) who was kind enough to go to the Jackson Browne 45 section and read off a list of songs for me.

Ted's Record Shop Employee: Running On Empty?

8-Year-Old Hogg: No, sir.

Ted's Record Shop Employee: Late For The Sky?

8-Year-Old Hogg: Um...no, sir.

Ted's Record Shop Employee: Here Come Those Tears Again?

8-Year-Old Hogg: Yes, sir! I think that's it.

Oops.

He was also kind enough to put it on hold for me under my name and my mom took me to pick it up few days later. I couldn't wait to play it, only to find that it wasn't the record I wanted.

My mom saw how bummed I was. I got home from school later that week and she handed me the RIGHT 45, an Asylum "Double Gold" (double A-side) 7" with "Doctor My Eyes" and "Rock Me On The Water." I was beyond stoked, and I still have that record.

• kozzkozz 17 Posts
    i think it was the ghostbusters original soundtrack.....

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

that is the first record. First tape is a whole nother story.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

My older sister gave it to me for 7th birthday. I also got a really dope little turntable stereo that birthday. It was white with 8" square speakers and the frame was sorta like a sideways H; the speakers could be removed from the ends of the H. I would lay on the floor, put a speaker next to each ear like massive headphones, and stare at the ceiling, playing that record over and over.

So nice.

An otherwise corny film, but I love the part in Almost Famous when the sister gives the main character her stack of records plus her teary, heartlfelt commentary.

PS. I'm an older sister.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Isaac Hayes "Hot Buttered Soul"

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

First vinyl. I think the first piece of music I bought was Kris Kross's Jump Around or Metallica's black album. Both on cassette.

• My older sister gave it to me for 7th birthday. I also got a really dope little turntable stereo that birthday. It was white with 8" square speakers and the frame was sorta like a sideways H; the speakers could be removed from the ends of the H. I would lay on the floor, put a speaker next to each ear like massive headphones, and stare at the ceiling, playing that record over and over.

So nice.

An otherwise corny film, but I love the part in Almost Famous when the sister gives the main character her stack of records plus her teary, heartlfelt commentary.

PS. I'm an older sister.

I like older sisters. I have three!

That sister was closest to me in age and the only one I didn't get along with (I think she wanted to be the baby of the family), but that made it even more meaningul. This was her record that she gave me, sort of a proto-heatrock.

PS We get along great now and she danced her ass off at my wedding when the wife and I DJed (but I played Stevie Wonder "As" instead).

• kiss Alive I and basically still have it, but brought other copies to get insert again cuz it went up on the wall toot suite!!!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• This was the first for me. Bought it for 25 cents. After that I was hooked.

• kiss Alive I and basically still have it, but brought other copies to get insert again cuz it went up on the wall toot suite!!!!

MINT RECORD QUEEN!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Jackson Five's Looking Through The Windows album. And a brand-new GE portable to play it on. I was five. Still have the GE, although I seldom use it. As for the album, I have it, although Lord knows its not the same copy.

It's funny what the earlier poster said about Jackson Browne's "Doctor My Eyes" being one of his first 45's. The J5 album above had a remake of that same song. As a result, I later thought Jackson Browne was doing the cover version.

• I don't remember what exactly was my first record, but I do remember back in the day, my mom would give me allowance of a dollar a week. Every Saturday morning, I would go to Duffy's records at the Mira Mesa Mall and buy a 45 rpm. It was .99 cents, $1.05 with tax so I would have to scrounge up five cents some where else, but I would buy a record a week!

• It was either Herbie Hancock's Future Shock or Yes' 90125. I remember I bought Future Shock together with 2 little friends and we made tapes for the three of us. The "master" stayed with me.

• With my 25p pocket money

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I can't find a picture of it but the first actual record I ever bought with my own money was

T La Rock - Breakdown 12"

First one I ever OWNED was an MDC 7" that the guys from the band gave me and my friend when I was 12.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    got:

bought:

this record day thing is really exciting, i wish i wasn't posting from a delaware library and could contribute more.