The O'Jays on the Kory label

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
ok I thought I had seen all the O'Jays albums there were to see however I came across this today and snapped it up.fake crowd sounds and a late 60's sweet soul sond that would make Drewn and 99problems melt into a funky sludgewhat is the story on this album, is this a bootleg?, reissue of an earlier LP?, whats the deal?and this LP is number 1006, does that mean that the other releases on Kory are similar?

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Never heard of it. What does the cover look like?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    dope! I love the O'jays!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    kory did other releases with the spinners, diana ross, temps, etc.

its also not that big of a deal... nice record. pops up frequently as do the others. $10-20 records... just wanted to give you a value as well.

• Adam you should check for the OJays record on minit/imperial... it's pretty dope. Not so easy to find either...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'll look into it, this is really nice sweet soul. I always figured that the "Superbad" release on Little Star was the first thing they recorded but judging by the sound of this LP I'd say this was done earlier.

when did the record for minit?

• I'll look into it, this is really nice sweet soul. I always figured that the "Superbad" release on Little Star was the first thing they recorded but judging by the sound of this LP I'd say this was done earlier.

The Minit stuff is 65-66 era (I think). They did a great cover of Benny Spellman's "Lipstick Traces"...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ok I thought I had seen all the O'Jays albums there were to see however I came across this today and snapped it up.

fake crowd sounds and a late 60's sweet soul sond that would make Drewn and 99problems melt into a funky sludge

what is the story on this album, is this a bootleg?, reissue of an earlier LP?, whats the deal?

and this LP is number 1006, does that mean that the other releases on Kory are similar?

Kory was a mid-seventies budget label that reissued masters from Motown, Buddah and Bell and sold them in discount bins. The O'Jays album you speak of originally appeared on Bell in 1968, as Back On Top. It was reissued a couple of times as The O'Jays(on Bell and its successor, Arista) with an oil painting of the three-man lineup that everybody knows.*** When Sundazed reissued it on CD, they finally got rid of the fake audience noise.

As for Kory, other releases included the Spinners, Al Green (his Hot Line album, Back Up Train), the Four Tops, the Box Tops, the Sweet's self-titled Bell LP, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations' Masterpiece album, and Diana Ross' Touch Me In The Morning.

As you can see from the above lineup, Kory was really big on dollarbin-common soul. A really good Kory album is Solid Gold, which is a various-artists comp of Buddah's soul stable (Gladys Knight & the Pips, New Birth, Trammps, Stairsteps, Curtis Mayfield, Honey Cone, etc.).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

***this made no sense, since one of the songs on the album references the fact that there were more than three members at the time - "Four For The Price Of One"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I'll look into it, this is really nice sweet soul. I always figured that the "Superbad" release on Little Star was the first thing they recorded but judging by the sound of this LP I'd say this was done earlier.

Yes it is a 60s record. This is all before Superbad, which is dope, people sleep on the Trip reissue of it as well

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'll look into it, this is really nice sweet soul. I always figured that the "Superbad" release on Little Star was the first thing they recorded but judging by the sound of this LP I'd say this was done earlier.

The Minit stuff is 65-66 era (I think). They did a great cover of Benny Spellman's "Lipstick Traces"...

The Minit album is from 1967 - after they had already left for Bell.

There was an earlier LP on Imperial (Minit's parent label) with a lot of the same recordings. They were on Imperial from roughly '63-'67, and when they bolted for Bell, the Minit album was released to cash in on their Bell hits.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think I once had this record, but it was on Bell & just called "the O'Jays" or some such thing.