Essential Funk LP’s

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

it has a break

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    BOOBIE KNIGHT & THE SOULCIETY- SOUL AINT NO NEW THING, anybody mention this...? a nice one, Ego Tripping is
    yeah thats a really good one

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    BOOBIE KNIGHT & THE SOULCIETY- SOUL AINT NO NEW THING, anybody mention this...? a nice one, Ego Tripping is

Ive seen this other Boobie record with a painted cover, looks bad (as in in bad meaning dope), dont think its an RCA release, not sure bout the date either, early 70's probably after the soulciety record though...?

boobie knight and the universal lady? that ones good too. i think it's also rarer

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    boobie knight and the universal lady? that ones good too. i think it's also rarer

Yeah, they're both really good... trying to think of a way to say this: silly in a way that doesn't insult the listener.

Gotta give it up for Black Heat's No Time To Burn, the self-titled Graham Central Station LP, and Maxayn's Mindful - from that golden era when funk was code for "black rock."

Gotta give it up for Black Heat's No Time To Burn
    really? i think that lp is kinda bland other than the break

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Are you sure you don't mean Keep On Runnin' (the one with "Zimba Ku")? No Time to Burn is pretty solid.

I don't even know where the break IS - I wasn't checkin' for that - but that album holds up really well (as does its' successor, Keep On Running) . Forget the self-titled debut; now THAT record was bland (and I don't mean Bobby Blue).

• I just found this LP today on a house buy

I'd say there's enough heavy funk on this one to say it's essential.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I would agree with Jinx's list and add the JB's, Maceo, Lyn Collins, (the whole James Brown family basically), the first 4 or 5 Kool & The Gang LPs, 1st couple Funkadelic LPs as the basics to start with. Oh, and DYKE & THE BLAZERS!!!! Almost fogot them. Were doing the funky rhythms at the same time as James Brown. Originators!

After that you get a bunch of groups who are really good, but were following the in footsteps of the first few.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    DYKE & THE BLAZERS!!!!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    are Dyke & The Blazers obscure in the US ? or are they common records ?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Are you sure you don't mean Keep On Runnin' (the one with "Zimba Ku")? No Time to Burn is pretty solid.

absolutely

peace to Castle

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    actually, the fundamental ones like EWF S/T, Kool& the Gang debut, the JBs, Meters, Cymande all those that have been mentioned so far, are they obscure over in the US ? or they are rather common pieces that can still be found in record stores ?

sorry for the double post or irrelevance, but I've never been to US and am just curious.

• actually, the fundamental ones like EWF S/T, Kool& the Gang debut, the JBs, Meters, Cymande all those that have been mentioned so far, are they obscure over in the US ? or they are rather common pieces that can still be found in record stores ?

sorry for the double post or irrelevance, but I've never been to US and am just curious.

They are not super obscure, but we're definitely not tripping over them. I don't think I've ever even seen the first Kool & The Gang in a record store, for instance. Cymande turns up once in a while where I'm at, the Meters turn up but for $$$, the JB's hardly at all (although I found a beat up copy of Food for Thought today).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    actually, the fundamental ones like EWF S/T, Kool& the Gang debut, the JBs, Meters, Cymande all those that have been mentioned so far, are they obscure over in the US ? or they are rather common pieces that can still be found in record stores ?

No, those are not common records in US stores these days. Out of those I'd say you're most likely to find the EWF and it'll probably be the cheapest out of them.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I guess I can understand.

so I guess good funk records are really not something easy to come up with even in US

because over here, people only recognise late 70s - 80s Donna Summer, Lionel Ritchie, Sister Sledge, Pointer Sisters, Hot Chocolate, EWF, Funkadelic etc. as funk.

• I guess I can understand.

so I guess good funk records are really not something easy to come up with even in US

because over here, people only recognise late 70s - 80s Donna Summer, Lionel Ritchie, Sister Sledge, Pointer Sisters, Hot Chocolate, EWF, Funkadelic etc. as funk.

Where are you located?

I'm willing to bet it's easier these days to find funk records in Japan, the UK, etc...... whether I would be able to afford them is a different matter.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Hong Kong is where I'm at

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

45's are common, at least on the east coast. All my Dyke 45's were $2 or less, mostly stock copies. The LP('s?) is/are a hard pull. "Funky Broadway" LP used to be around a little, but I never ever see it anymore. I've seen an ad for a "greatest hits" LP of D&theB from the late 60's, but never seen the LP itself...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

45's are common, at least on the east coast. All my Dyke 45's were $2 or less, mostly stock copies. The LP('s?) is/are a hard pull. "Funky Broadway" LP used to be around a little, but I never ever see it anymore. I've seen an ad for a "greatest hits" LP of D&theB from the late 60's, but never seen the LP itself...

def. i got my copies of funky broadway here on the east coast for a dollar apiece, prolly 4 or 5 years apart, same place. i've never seen an lp while diggin' either.

45's are common, at least on the east coast.

Their singles are common everywhere. People forget that Dyke & the Blazers were hitmakers in their day, and even the ones that weren't hits were pressed in mass quantities.

• Maybe it's just me but when people says FUNK...
    I think to the old school soul/funk of the JB's

while others others think to the later funkadelic/Graham central/Rick James kind of thing....

• Earth Wind and Fire _ S/T 1970 _ Warner
    Marvin Gaye _ Trouble Man _ Motown

If those aren't "Soul classics" (and ESSENTIAL!!), I don't understand.

B.

Great records definitely. Just looking for something with a harder, funkier sound.

ok here a quick glance to some Marvin harder funk for you all

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QKT1MHKNVGPQ1PNL40UC3JG71

pump up the volume & listen that snare drum for Gawd sake !

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

while others others think to the later funkadelic/Graham central/Rick James kind of thing....

how is that supect?

would it be suspect to say you like rock&roll and one dude means led zeppelin and the other means chuck berry?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    ok here a quick glance to some Marvin harder funk for you all

You got more??

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Maybe it's just me but when people says FUNK...

no its not just you.. a lot of people think JBs, Meters, etc when you say Funk. however, how can you say Larry Graham, motherfucking changed the Funk game with his slap bass guitar playing, isnt Funk? RICK JAMES?!?! dude...

you should go back and listen to those records... and the only suspect thing is your music knowledge and understanding.

• Maybe it's just me but when people says FUNK...

no its not just you.. a lot of people think JBs, Meters, etc when you say Funk. however, how can you say Larry Graham, motherfucking changed the Funk game with his slap bass guitar playing, isnt Funk? RICK JAMES?!?! dude...

you should go back and listen to those records... and the only suspect thing is your music knowledge and understanding.

c'mon people..I didn't mean suspect in a negative way... I meant is amaziong that one single can include so many and different artists........

you are too aggressive

• ok here a quick glance to some Marvin harder funk for you all

You got more??

of course, I will post more marvin harder edge later....... I don't have those files here at the moment