How about a Soulstrut Wiki about records?

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
**For those not in the know, a Wiki is a site that anyone can edit and add to, not just the moderators. Like an encyclopedia. Like Wikipedia.It just seems to make sense.Motown has been doin his thing posting up his record reviews, but think about how this could grow exponentially if anybody could easily add up or adjust info.Rarity, price ranges, pressing details, how to spot a reissue, stuff not listed on the credits, etc etc.It could be like the-breaks, but actually be helpful. Think of the possibilities.And the best part is the software is free free free. It wouldn't cost our man Raj a thing.So..... ?

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    and actually, now that I think about it, we could put anything on there. The history of TheMack. The meaning of Pap Day. Guzzo's stint on Blind Date. How to correctly spell "raer".

Let's see some enthusiasm, people.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's not a bad idea, actually.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Only if you are barred from posting jpegs to it

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Cool! How do we submit a "Soulstrut" entry to the site?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    who would moderate it? You know shit would be out of control on there. I can't imagine it staying on topic for long.

• That's a really good idea.
    Who would start it off though...? And who would agree on how to set it up.
    Like artist, label, country, producer, studio, etc...

Have a link to NATION MASTER[/b] so strutters can learn their geography first. Ha ha! It's a joke guys, a joke. Dolt!
    When you go to Nationmaster, they also have a comments section under each subject matter where people can either help the moderators expand upon the subject or to ask specific questions about the topic.
    So if something is incorrect it can be challenged & therefore rectified.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Some sort of album rating system would be very helpful as well. In fact, I don't even need to look at a review of the music, just the rating, artist, title, label, catalog number and year of release--and have the info grouped by genre. Kind of like the HYP records site. Something that I can use as a convenient checklist. (Buy all of the perfect 10s first and then work my way down to 7).

who would moderate it? You know shit would be out of control on there. I can't imagine it staying on topic for long.

I nominate hyperactive moderator mylatency.

I dunno, we can sort it out. I mean, this would obviously be separate from the forums and not a playground. We could just set it to require submissions to be reviewed. I don't think it would require a whole lot of effort, as it would be fairly evident if any bullshit is posted.

I was also going to say that we could try limiting submissions to those that are already registered, but that would require user database integration and I'm not sure that anyone has done it for ubbthreads (what is used on here) like they've done for phpBB (another forum software).

Regardless though, I don't expect it to be flooded with submissions. It's not a forum, it would be like an encyclopedia with everyone as editors. So it would be strictly a no bullshit policy.

Anyway, I can't do it all but I'd be willing to work with some other volunteers to at least get it up and running.

I think this would have a phenominal application for many of the smaller hip hop, funk, etc. releases that get ignored by All Music and the likes. Also, we can cater it to our interests, such as funky tracks on otherwise shitty albums, open drums, and the million other topics that come up in the forums.

And actually, in that vein... much of what comes up in the forums could just be edited down and ported over.

We could split it up like I said, even having a section for classic soulstrut posts. You can define as many or as few topics and sections as you like.

And if it catches on it would be a great way to add in some extra ad revenue for Raj with minimal extra effort.

At the bare minimum we would have yet another way to browbeat newbies and lurkers ("CHECK THE WIKI, BITCH!")

So, ideas? Thoughts? Volunteers?

Some sort of album rating system would be very helpful as well. In fact, I don't even need to look at a review of the music, just the rating, artist, title, label, catalog number and year of release--and have the info grouped by genre. Kind of like the HYP records site. Something that I can use as a convenient checklist. (Buy all of the perfect 10s first and then work my way down to 7).

I don't see how that could be a problem. Let people vote on that shit... that's an excellent idea.

• I'ld be glued, f'real. Capital idea.

and here's an example of one they did with books: WikiBooks

Imagine that loaded with entries for raers.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This is a scrumtrilescent idea, good job Graf!

It's like someone cloned Motown

I still say a Soulstrut Wiki is in order.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    I still say a Soulstrut Wiki is in order.

I would love it. RYM is very slow, and doesn't always have the information I'm looking for (as a wiki/enclyclopedia would have). Don't think I can contribute much in the making of this, but I sure would use it when it's up.

• this is a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulstrut

I started this wiki entry, please to add whatever juicy tidbits you want.

Remember, this entry is representing all of us, so keep it legit folks. I copied that quote from the "About" section that RAJ created, feel free to edit, add links, and a canon of our strut-speak. Let's do this!

thanks,

Mark [/b]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulstrut

I started this wiki entry, please to add whatever juicy tidbits you want.

Remember, this entry is representing all of us, so keep it legit folks. I copied that quote from the "About" section that RAJ created, feel free to edit, add links, and a canon of our strut-speak. Let's do this!

thanks,
    Mark [/b]

That's a good start hoLmes.

What I was talking about though was Soulstrut's own, located at Soulstrut.com, running on a Soulstrut server.

Ah, well I figured the wikipedia.org entry couldn't hurt.

It doesn't. It's a good idea. I just told Guzzo to put in his section about his blind date escapades, but it would be so much funnier if someone else did it.

But yeah, that could definitely be a start.

• Ah, well I figured the wikipedia.org entry couldn't hurt.

It doesn't. It's a good idea. I just told Guzzo to put in his section about his blind date escapades, but it would be so much funnier if someone else did it.

An article about the heatrock thing would be nice addition.

An article about the heatrock thing would be nice addition.

Excellent suggestion.

bump

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Okey, suggestions to what I would love:

It's a database which all the users can contribute to. It should work like a blend of allmusic.com, rateyourmusic.com and the-breaks.com. Like allmusic for the knowledge and information (which the users write), like rateyourmusic for the possibility of uploading new artists/abums and rating albums already in the database (then the users could also compare what they think about the music, and find users who have similar tastes), and like the-breaks for the relations between different bands and artists (collaborations, cover songs, sampling).

Would that be possible?

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Maybe it also could be a link/collabo to/with eBay or a similar site...... hmm.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    when I read the word "Wiki" always make me sing Jam on it from Nucleus.

U know:
    wikki wikki wikki.

• wikki wikki wikki.

Shut up!!!

It's a database which all the users can contribute to. It should work like a blend of allmusic.com, rateyourmusic.com and the-breaks.com. Like allmusic for the knowledge and information (which the users write), like rateyourmusic for the possibility of uploading new artists/abums and rating albums already in the database (then the users could also compare what they think about the music, and find users who have similar tastes), and like the-breaks for the relations between different bands and artists (collaborations, cover songs, sampling).

Would that be possible?

Most of it should be. The ratings thing I would imagine has been come up with as a plug in (as it is available for most CMS scripts). But first it really depends on which software/script is chosen (there are multiple free Wiki scripts) but I can't do anything about anything until Raj puts in his 2 cents.

Check out Wikipedia and see what functionality it has and try to see if it can fit into what you are thinking about, because their software is free and downloadable. SS could run the same thing... b/c off the top I'm pretty sure it's a PHP/MySQL combo which is what this board is.

wikki wikki wikki.

Sticky icky icky?