yet another post about MOVIES

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited October 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
What have you folks watched lately? Bought this at a flea market sevral months ago & just got around to watching it. Awesome! Rented this last night. real good. probably the best movie I've seen about a guy coming unwound since Taxi Driver.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    BTW: has anyone seen Capote yet???

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    is capote out yet?

i saw this a few days ago

recommended

is capote out yet?

not sure. sounds amazing though, from the reviews I've read.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    yeah i just saw a trailer for it when i saw thumbsucker. philip seymour hoffman is that dude.

philip seymour hoffman is that dude.

I agree 100%

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    is capote out yet?

not sure. sounds amazing though, from the reviews I've read.

That voice is like nails on chalkboard though. I understand that is it's accurate and all...but still. Don't know if I can listen to that annoying tinney voice for 2 + hours.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Best Thing I Saw in a Theatre Lately:

Darwin's Nightmare (documentary about the exploitation of a Tanzanian fishing community)

Best Thing I Saw on Video Lately:

Beyond the Mat (documentary about pro wrasslers)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Grabbed this on the weekend

• UNO was a nice little Norwegian thug flick.

A Bittersweet Life was a top notch kick arse Korean gangster film. Ordered it from Yesasia.

And this dope Finnish film was one of the highlights of the year so far.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

A Bittersweet Life was a top notch kick arse Korean gangster film. Ordered it from Yesasia.

I haven't seen this one yet. The gurl I'm dating right now is Korean, but hates violent flicks. She loved Tae Guk Gi tho (odd)

I'll have to check it out. Thx

Who has seen Sympathy for Lady Vengeance?

MoSS, what did you think?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    What have you folks watched lately?
    this immediately made me think of this...

last saturday, my kid and i went to see this in the theatre... it got bad reviews but was actually really entertaining, and jessica alba is

afterward, my kid suggested that his mom didn't have any grasp on how late we were already, so then we snuck into this... fucking stupid implausible movie.

• I haven't seen this one yet. The gurl I'm dating right now is Korean, but hates violent flicks. She loved Tae Guk Gi tho (odd)

A mate in Korea said that Lady Vengeance is worlds apart from MR V & Old Boy.. Too stylised & looks like a commercial. Takes almost til the end of the film to kick in. And there are 2 versions. One version in B/W & one in colour. Something like that.

I presume you may have seen this.. MY SASSY GIRL? If not, track it down. Don't let the cover turn you off.
    One that you & your girl will both enjoy. Trust me. It might not look like it & yes, I go more for the typical 'male' genres, but this was damn good.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

i saw this a few days ago

recommended

i cosign this notion. awsome casting.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

I haven't seen this one yet. The gurl I'm dating right now is Korean, but hates violent flicks. She loved Tae Guk Gi tho (odd)

MoSS, what did you think?

Sympathy was a bit of a let down for me. I like Mr Vengeance and OLDBOY a lot, and while SFLV wasn't a bad movie, it just didn't move me like the previous two. It's a black comedy for sure, and has some funny moments but for some reason I just couldn't get into the revenge aspect because of the slapstick moments. I feel bad saying that, but it's how I felt, especially near the end. There is less violence IMO than the other films, and it's more implied like a "Funny Games" but that's not a bad thing, just an observation. Anyhow, I'd buy the DVD when it comes out as it's still a good end to the trilogy. The other thing may be that my expectations were just too high going in. I thought it could be the best Korean film of 2005. Right now I'd have to personally give it up to Crying Fist every so slightly over HWAL and Marathon but I still have yet to see Welcome to Dongamakol or whatever it's called. lol. Bittersweet was ill as hell also, but there were two parts that were a little too much for my reality meter.

• mediocre at best. luda was good though. sorta.

and I finally peeped the Korean joint "Old Boy." highly overrated. some cool shots but built mostly on shock value.

• Yeah, I have high hopes for Dangmakol as well. The trailer looks pretty dope & the reports have been overwhelming.

• and I finally peeped the Korean joint "Old Boy." highly overrated. some cool shots but built mostly on shock value.

You reckon? That hallway scene was right off the richter.

Maybe Kim Ki-Duk's realistically depressing, yet ultra-violently agro pimping BAD GUY is more your speed.

I highly reccomend MEMORIES OF MURDER. Solid true story cop film set in rural Korea.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i was really dissapointed with sympathy for mr. vengeance. left wing terrorist organization??? what the hell was that??? i like oldboy a lot but what the fuck. ill still see lady vengeance

stuff ive seen lately:
    me and you and everyone you know (eh)
    The End of Man (from that coffin joe dude. very cool)
    valerie and her week of wonders (loved this)
    a tree of palme (nice animated film)
    plaster caster (self imposed ayo for watching this)

ive been going to the National Film Board a lot lately. Arthur Lipsett's 21-87 and Very Nice, Very Nice are essential viewing. 21-87 almost made me cry

during the Serenity trailer i thought they were going to tell me to turn of my cell phone and buy popcorn. unfortuanatly its a real movie.

• I'll peep Bad Guy. Thanks for the tip.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I highly reccomend MEMORIES OF MURDER. Solid true story cop film set in rural Korea.

I really liked this.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was OK. I went back and forth between liking it and not. Now I just feel about it. I wish they didn't soften her up and the part with the parents took waaaay too long. It was a good looking film though. I really liked the FX sprinkled in here and there in the first third of the film, but they didn't follow through with it for some reason.

ive been going to the National Film Board a lot lately. Arthur Lipsett's 21-87 and Very Nice, Very Nice are essential viewing. 21-87 almost made me cry

Have you watched Norman McLaren's stuff? It's great. And if you're into skateboarding, ask for The Devil's Toy by Claude Jutra from the 60's. It's hilarious.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

The kind of movie you have to watch 10 times to really understand.

SPOILER

After watching it 20 times I finally realized that The Dane was having an affair with Mink. The whole homosexual relationship thing is very subtle and easy to miss.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    McLaren is great

he worked with Evelyn Lambert as well, who is awesome.

evelyn lambert's 'mr frog went a courting'

McLaren is great

he worked with Evelyn Lambert as well, who is awesome.

evelyn lambert's 'mr frog went a courting'

yes...beautiful and dark and creepy and lush

• Has anyone seen this? I'm eagerly awaiting..

A championship wrestling match pits Koji Taguchi against Crush Volcano, the latter no match for Koji???s signature move, the Torture Ring Strangler. Koji beams as he clutches the Champion Belt, only to have it snatched away by a mysterious new challenger in the ring???a giant squid! A giant squid, in fact, who not only evades Koji???s key attack, but destroys him with a Northern Light Suplex! Koji???s fianc??e Miyako watches tearfully, though there???s something about this Calamari Wrestler that seems familiar to her???

The tentacled tackler is the hottest story in the Japanese sports press. The president of the Cho-Nippon wrestling team proposes a fixed match as a publicity stunt, but the honourable Calamari Wrestler will hear nothing of it. Wrongfully banned from the sport, he retreats to the Monhonji Temple to train and meditate, where a young reporter tracks him down and begins to unravel his enigma. But the squid???s problems are just beginning???treacherous businessmen, unrequited love and the wrestling-ring menace of the Octopus Wrestler and the insectoid Squilla Boxer await!

• i watched this doc on ernst kirchner that my friend gave me and then i realized i dont even know who this dude was nor do i care about his paintings so i turned it off and watched CJ celebrity justice.

last weekend i watched part of band of outsiders for like the 3rd time. i gotta say, i do not celebrate godards entire collection. i mean, he takes risks which i appreciate, but a lot of his flicks are garbage to me. but the ones i like, i really really like.

other than that there's a outlaw japanese dudes retrospective at the cinematheque. im betting its tasty enough for most strutters around these parts.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Who else is excited about seeing this:

Don't front. You know that shit will be fresh!

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Who else is excited about seeing this:

Don't front. You know that shit will be fresh!

good call. going to that with my niece and nephew...

8 years in the making or something like that.

• mediocre at best. luda was good though. sorta.

i agree, that movie was pure cheese especially the ending

and I finally peeped the Korean joint "Old Boy." highly overrated. some cool shots but built mostly on shock value.

i disagree with you on that, after watching it i didnt think that much of it but second viewing made me appreciate it more

mediocre at best. luda was good though. sorta.

i agree, that movie was pure cheese especially the ending

break out the champagne and let loose the flying pigs - we agree!