Kev Brown-"I Do What I Do"

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Hey Guys,I picked this up the other day (along with "The Minstrel Show") and I'm really feelin' it. I like Kev's minimalist, but soulful production and cleverness on the mic. At times, some of the production gets a little repetitious, but overall I like the CD. Nice to hear some b-boy shit considering the current rap music scene. I've been proppin' Kev on here for a minute, though. Anyone else heard this? Any thoughts???Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    im definately feeling it, ive always felt kevin browns stuff, even more then 9th wonder most of the time... i thought k browns black album remix was the best of the bunch. i guess i just like how soulful he is....or something its hard to explain, his tracks just put me in a good mood...

heres a little video from his site showing him chop/create a track...

http://www.kevbrownmusic.com/vid/kev_beatmaking.mov

you might need this to update your quicktime...

http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1V85CIWH7UMGQ1VJ1AV12RSR2B

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    The kind of indie rap that is not on the strut. Haven't you noticed the neo-soulish sound of his beats???
    How is this?
    As a whole it can get a bit boring because it all sounds petty much the same. Kev Brown is not a good MC and the cover is a joke. But i like his vibe and I enjoy listening to the cd.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    the cover is a joke.

cosign...so boring.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    The kind of indie rap that is not on the strut. Haven't you noticed the neo-soulish sound of his beats???
    How is this?
    As a whole it can get a bit boring because it all sounds petty much the same. Kev Brown is not a good MC and the cover is a joke. But i like his vibe and I enjoy listening to the cd.

Yeah, perhaps he could become more of a parody of himself and his people by talking about rims, gold teeth, and jewelry Then, he might be more 'Strut approved. Being a jigaboo sells!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Yeah, perhaps he could become more of a parody of himself and his people by talking about rims, gold teeth, and jewelry Then, he might be more 'Strut approved. Being a jigaboo sells!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, you are just not connected to the skreets, my man. Don't you know that you MUST talk about rims, gold teeth and jewlry in order to be relevant in 2005? And being relevant is ALL that matters, mane! Anything else would be boring and uninspired (ZZZZZZZZ). Times change, hip hop changes, EVERYTHING changes. I swear, you bitter old dudes...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i heard a track from this dude where he rhymed about production, shit was a joke... didnt exactly make me wanna purchase his lp.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    im definately feeling it, ive always felt kevin browns stuff, even more then 9th wonder most of the time... i thought k browns black album remix was the best of the bunch. i guess i just like how soulful he is....or something its hard to explain, his tracks just put me in a good mood...

heres a little video from his site showing him chop/create a track...

http://www.kevbrownmusic.com/vid/kev_beatmaking.mov

you might need this to update your quicktime...

http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1V85CIWH7UMGQ1VJ1AV12RSR2B

That beat was pretty dope

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Man I'm sleeping on this dude. Shit is sounding pretty good on his site so far.

• Yeah I am feeling this album for the most part...he is heavily influenced by Pete Rock.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    definitely keen to check that...

sorry to hyjack, would anyone have spare copy of his "Power Bars" 12" on Up Above ? mad hard to track that down. (sold out everywhere)

• Hottest I've heard in months!!!

Kev Brown is the shit!

• One of the best dudes right now. My only gripe is that dude uses too many guitar samples and the production gets a bit repetive/you kinda know what shit is gonna sound like, but yo he's nice on the rhymes as well.

• The kind of indie rap that is not on the strut. Haven't you noticed the neo-soulish sound of his beats???
    How is this?
    As a whole it can get a bit boring because it all sounds petty much the same. Kev Brown is not a good MC and the cover is a joke.

But i like his vibe and I enjoy listening to the cd.

Huh?

• ericeric 155 Posts
    dope shit,...i like it.
    Anyone got clue about how in the video the turntable sound 12bits ????

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yeah, perhaps he could become more of a parody of himself and his people by talking about rims, gold teeth, and jewelry Then, he might be more 'Strut approved. Being a jigaboo sells!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, you are just not connected to the skreets, my man. Don't you know that you MUST talk about rims, gold teeth and jewlry in order to be relevant in 2005? And being relevant is ALL that matters, mane! Anything else would be boring and uninspired (ZZZZZZZZ). Times change, hip hop changes, EVERYTHING changes. I swear, you bitter old dudes...

Dat's right, playa!!!! You ain't tight unless you kick that self-degrading krunk music. Check dis out, cuzzin' (imagine some slow, "synthy", simple-ass, wack shit playin' in the background):

"I'm sittin' on dubs, cuz, my jams playin' in the club, got fo strippas givin' me a back rub, it's on.......sittin on 20 in-ches, play hatas to the side, ridin' the benches. 20 carats in my mouth, jams play down south, nasty hookas givin' brains, while I'm playin' 'em out, trunk rattlin, creepin' in my 'Coup DeVille, flossin' lovely, while n**gas give me ice grills..."

That's that hot shit right thurr, show ya right!!!!

Peace,

Dirty Stacks from Crunkville

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Check dis out, cuzzin' (imagine some slow, "synthy", simple-ass, wack shit playin' in the background):

"I'm sittin' on dubs, cuz, my jams playin' in the club, got fo strippas given me a back rub, it's on.......sittin on 20 in-ches, play hatas to the side, ridin' the benches. 20 carats in my mouth, jams play down south, nasty hookas givin' brains, while I'm playin' 'em out, trunk rattlin, creepin' in my 'Coup DeVille, flossin' lovely, while n**gas give me ice grills..."

Peace,

HAHAHA! I saw Kev Brown and Bahamadia live about a year ago. I don't have any of his albums, but the beats sounded really dope on a big system. It made me want to investigate him further, but I never really got around to it. He's got that classic boombap style, building on the Pete Rock style. I definetely like the vibe. I like slow, synthy simple-ass shit as well, but there's a time and a place for everything, and I'm down for showing Kev Brown some love.

An yeah, that beat in the video does sound nice.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Yeah yeah beats are dope for sure.
    But that video is

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

"I'm sittin' on dubs, cuz, my jams playin' in the club, got fo strippas givin' me a back rub, it's on.......sittin on 20 in-ches, play hatas to the side, ridin' the benches. 20 carats in my mouth, jams play down south, nasty hookas givin' brains, while I'm playin' 'em out, trunk rattlin, creepin' in my 'Coup DeVille, flossin' lovely, while n**gas give me ice grills..."

Peace,

pretty good, pretty good. But I didnt hear anything about how you be movin them bricks around like tetris. Or how you keep a (insert popular firearm) the same color as your (insert luxury car or High end SUV) that will leave holes in me as big as (insert large animal or object)

You might also throw in some bakery references (pies, cakes, that sort of thing)

OH yeah, and dont forget to throw in ad-libs after ever 2 or 3 words.

• pretty good, pretty good. But I didnt hear anything about how you be movin them bricks around like tetris. Or how you keep a (insert popular firearm) the same color as your (insert luxury car or High end SUV) that will leave holes in me as big as (insert large animal or object)

Daaaag.. you mean folls got their thumpers candy painted to match their whips??? YO that actually does sound kinda fly! Color coordinated firearms... WHOA.

pretty good, pretty good. But I didnt hear anything about how you be movin them bricks around like tetris. Or how you keep a (insert popular firearm) the same color as your (insert luxury car or High end SUV) that will leave holes in me as big as (insert large animal or object)

Daaaag.. you mean folls got their thumpers candy painted to match their whips??? YO that actually does sound kinda fly! Color coordinated firearms... WHOA.

I was just talking about black, but i think you may have stumbled on some next shit there phil!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    also, the minimal synth track must interpolate "Don't Worry Be Happy"

and KC Kasem: I have a Yaggfu Fron-"Lookin' for a Contract" 12 if you want it.