Serato really can’t be fucked with.

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited September 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
So it's been a few months now, and yeah, there's no turning back, batches.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    YES SIR YOU ARE CORRECT SIR

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I've been seriously wanting to buy this.
    Why should I buy serato instead of finalscratch?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Trust me dude

• So it's been a few months now, and yeah, there's no turning back, batches.

How much would the whole setup cost?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    500 some plus laprtop

• 500 some plus laprtop

How much does a decent laptop cost? Say one that would ONLY be used for DJing?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    500 some plus laprtop

grand and some

• parenparen 537 Posts
    dildo power.

man, i need to finally get a goddamn powersupply for mine.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    MOTHERFUCKING DILDO

• parenparen 537 Posts
    IT'S THE

MOTHERFUCKING DILDO

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dildo power.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    dildo power.

i'm sayin', L*FER, i can't get properly faded with my powerbook open next to the tables when my non-dildo-rocking DJ associates are on their sets and not looking out for Dildospotters creeping up to looksee and spill drinks on my computress. To do: buy 9V powersupply tomorrow.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    sik

• How much does a decent laptop cost? Say one that would ONLY be used for DJing?
    grand and some

You could buy a cheap PC laptop for like $300-500, used or new don't matter as long as the processor is alright. Add some ram & external harddisk. For only DJing you could get a laptop + serato for $1000-1200.

• I can see that you all really for this poor substitute for vinyl. And you have the nerve to call yourselves real DJ's?

Yes, just joking. My first listening experience with this nouveau technology was when Diplo & Low Budget were here in Helsinki a while ago. One thing I noticed was that the levels were all over the place. Either too loud or too quiet, didn't keep stable.
    Just saying that this was the only problem for me, it just didn't sound as nice as the REAL thing. I don't really even have an attitude problem (maybe just an unconscious one) with this new shit. Maybe Diplo just hadn't learned to roll with this new tech yet, or maybe he was just too drunk to mix it properly, I don't know.

And to answer your claim Day, it can be fucked with, but those doing the fucking seems to be an endangered species who will be shortly run over by the digital era, just a forgotten stage in human evolution.

• How much does a decent laptop cost? Say one that would ONLY be used for DJing?
    grand and some

You could buy a cheap PC laptop for like $300-500, used or new don't matter as long as the processor is alright. Add some ram & external harddisk. For only DJing you could get a laptop + serato for $1000-1200.

Damn. What kind of processor would I need? (I'm very "atechnical" so forgive me if this is a stupid question.)

Herm

grand and some

Damn. What kind of processor would I need? (I'm very "atechnical" so forgive me if this is a stupid question.)

Herm

from ttlab:

TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
    - Accepts fixed and variable bit rate MP3s, AIFF, WAV and direct from CD. There are no plans to support WMA files at this time.
    - The minimum operating system requirements are either a Mac G4, OSX 10.2.8, or a PC P3-700 running Windows XP, either with 128M of ram or more.

One thing I noticed was that the levels were all over the place. Either too loud or too quiet, didn't keep stable.

co-shizzle. I also noticeed that once.
    But I know there's some tool out there that can level all your audiofiles to the same output level.

Maybe a serano-user can elaborate on that?

• TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
    - Accepts fixed and variable bit rate MP3s, AIFF, WAV and direct from CD. There are no plans to support WMA files at this time.
    - The minimum operating system requirements are either a Mac G4, OSX 10.2.8, or a PC P3-700 running Windows XP, either with 128M of ram or more.

You can go low with the processor to save money, but make sure to get ~1Gig of ram. That will ensure Serato doesn't crash.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

And to answer your claim Day, it can be fucked with, but those doing the fucking seems to be an endangered species who will be shortly run over by the digital era, just a forgotten stage in human evolution.

I've been DJing for 15 years.

Serato/Digital DJing does not equate to the end of vinyl.

You do realize you're mixing RECORDS the same way you would normally, right?

There's no hidden tricks (outside of of markers which you could do with tape on reg.vinyl) with this. You're mixing the same, cutting the same and all that.

I can make remixes at my house and play it out the same night. I can play my own music etc., etc.

To me, the real benefit is creativity. I think some people are getting carried away with the whole "this is the end of vinyl" ish. I still dig and play records and I'm sure most other DJs do too.

I used to think "FUCK THAT" when it came to anything other than the norm, but you're really limiting yourself with what's available. Can you imagine if people were like

"yo fuck a telephone, I'll use this string and can. GOTZ TA KEEP IT REAL!"?

• To me, the real benefit is creativity.

No doubt!

Who uses WAV files? and is there much lag time? Or does everyone use their mp3's?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    don't tempt me pleeaaase.

• I hear you alright Day. I was just dramatizing a bit. People here in Finland have been getting really sensitive about foreign DJ's not lugging their vinyl with them though. Mostly those are people who take buying and playing vinyl seriously, and they have been pissed of that people who get paid loads of money for a gig, just turn up with a laptop. Seems so easy.

I completely understand that DJ's who play out regularly around the world don't necessarily want carry that carload of records with them everywhere they go. But I also understand the critizism, because at least in these parts, people really have to make an effort to find certain records. I couldn't imagine a rare funk/soul night being run with Serato. That seems almost sacraligious. Also, different music scenes are so much smaller here than there, so it's easier to be a purist. The average Joe or Jane on the dancefloor doesn't really care where the music comes from at all.

And I think that death of vinyl thing can be argued though. How I understand it, when oil runs out and gets more expensive, there is not gonna be any more vinyl. Could be wrong but that seems to be the scenario. While music is being downloaded more and more, gradually the format becomes irrelevant. We are gonna start talking about files instead of records. Software like Serato is gonna make this transition so much easier.

Of course none of this hinders the creativity of the DJ, just keep on doing what you are doing! I'll stick with the records, but that's just me.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    A question for all Serato DJs:

Has using Serato affected your vinyl buying?

I'm not talking about raers but new releases.

Are you buying the tracks you don't need to have on vinyl at iTunes?

Digital dj-ing is cool and the future but it will also change the market for so called dj-music. The majority of independent labels that are doing Soul Strut-related music (from Jazzman to Stones Throw) are making a good part of their money from selling 45s and 12"s to DJs. Digital-DJs have no reason to buy their records anymore. I haven't met any Serato-DJ who's buying his files legally and I don't think that it will change. Even if they would it wouldn't make a big difference because the money a label and artist makes from a track sold through iTunes is a joke. Due to the technology there are too many middle-men involved.

So where do you see the future for these kinda labels?

Non-physical music is the future and every collector's nightmare. But how will people know about this hot new soundfile? Maybe labels will turn into pure promo and image-building enterprises. I don't know.

I'm not hating. I'm just curious and want to prepare myself for the future that has already started.

Still it's hard for me to imagine how to get really excted about a new piece of music when I not hold the freshly pressed vinyl platter in my hand.

• I got serato 2 months ago and the main advantage for me is that you can be more creative (cue points, acapellas etc.) and carry more tunes with you. If you find a night going down a musical route you did not expect you are not caught with your pants down. I do download stuff but mostly I rip from vinyl. It does add an extra level to djing so you have to be more aware (so no getting pissed up for the first month) and you have to keep those needles clean. One super bonus is that you can keep all your nice records in great condition and not fuck them up djing, and yes im still buying records. I was hating on this 6 months ago but now I can see the future, im not some student burning of some cdrs to play in a bar I still have a broad individual collection of music I just have much more, the other bonus of coarse being you can get stuff from cd or exclusive stuff from artists or labels a long time before they come out and play it like you got the record, or you can edit stuff up on the day befroe you go , i like to take out tricky intro's or dodgy guitar solos. Buy serato NOT final scratch as it crashed and drops out like fuck, serato is solid as long as you scan for corrupt mp3s (build overviews) and keep you machine lean, I have a Pentium 4m 1.7 ghz and 2 gig of ram with a fresh install of XPpro and its fucking solid.

It will change the way you dj, I have been getting compliments all round a gigs, the punters love it, other djs love to hate they can come back to my house and get schooled on vinyl any time they want so they can fuck off.

Audio Tips:

There is no problem with volume as you should equalise your mp3s first with software such as Mp3gain and you can check when you cue them on the mixer anyhow just like a record, never ever go below 192kbs mp3, 320kbs preferable, rip all records as wav's or Mac equivalent

dont get shit from itunes the quality sucks

• I got serato 2 months ago and the main advantage for me is that you can be more creative (cue points, acapellas etc.) and carry more tunes with you. If you find a night going down a musical route you did not expect you are not caught with your pants down. I do download stuff but mostly I rip from vinyl. It does add an extra level to djing so you have to be more aware (so no getting pissed up for the first month) and you have to keep those needles clean. One super bonus is that you can keep all your nice records in great condition and not fuck them up djing, and yes im still buying records. I was hating on this 6 months ago but now I can see the future, im not some student burning of some cdrs to play in a bar I still have a broad individual collection of music I just have much more, the other bonus of coarse being you can get stuff from cd or exclusive stuff from artists or labels a long time before they come out and play it like you got the record, or you can edit stuff up on the day befroe you go , i like to take out tricky intro's or dodgy guitar solos. Buy serato NOT final scratch as it crashed and drops out like fuck, serato is solid as long as you scan for corrupt mp3s (build overviews) and keep you machine lean, I have a Pentium 4m 1.7 ghz and 2 gig of ram with a fresh install of XPpro and its fucking solid.

It will change the way you dj, I have been getting compliments all round a gigs, the punters love it, other djs love to hate they can come back to my house and get schooled on vinyl any time they want so they can fuck off.

Audio Tips:

There is no problem with volume as you should equalise your mp3s first with software such as Mp3gain and you can check when you cue them on the mixer anyhow just like a record, never ever go below 192kbs mp3, 320kbs preferable, rip all records as wav's or Mac equivalent

dont get shit from itunes the quality sucks

"I couldn't imagine a rare funk/soul night being run with Serato."

Damn it Euan, now you got me imagining it too. The Northern Soul geezers are next to follow I guess...

• all you have do is play with it for one hour and your sold, pain in the ass ripping all my 45s though sooooooooooooooo boring

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    One thing I noticed was that the levels were all over the place. Either too loud or too quiet, didn't keep stable.

co-shizzle. I also noticeed that once.
    But I know there's some tool out there that can level all your audiofiles to the same output level.

Maybe a serano-user can elaborate on that?

that is up to the person encoding the music. if you rip everything from your records at the same volume and bitrate then it will sound really consistent. if you download everything from all over the place, then your levels will sound inconsistent. you can also adjust the volume for each track within Serato, and it saves the gain in each MP3's profile, so next time you load it, it will be at the volume you played it last time.

as for records, i have only slowed down on stuff i don't really need, like buying the Tony Yayo LP for one song. you can pool with your friends and trade for stuff like that. i also buy a lot more CDs and CD compilations (like Hot 97 #44 or Reggaeton #22 or whatever off the street) than I used to. as a collector it won't change your buying habits but as a dj it will.