Ghostface Meets Metal Face

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Error 404 : Page not found

• the link didnt work for me. so in case its the same for y'all, i searched for it and copied it:

Three Ghostface Albums Materializing In Stores This Year
    Wu member plans solo LP plus collabos with MF Doom, Raekwon.

Ghostface (file)
    Photo: Appio
    Ghostface's next album may as well be titled Ghostface Meets Metal Face, as he's teaming up with iron-mask-loving hip-hop veteran MF Doom.
    "I'm into old hip-hop, and the music that he makes is right up my alley," Ghostface said. "His beats are real underground. He's got the sound RZA had back in the day."

The Wu-Tang rapper and the former KMD member have collaborated on six songs thus far, and while the project will probably be released on Doom's indie label, Nature Sounds, his manager claims Def Jam is also interested.

Meanwhile, Ghost is digging up tracks for his next solo album, tentatively titled Rapper's Delight, and Doom may have some tracks on that project as well. "I'm working my album around his beats and whatever I add from other producers," Ghost said. "I would love to do a whole thing with him. He's a cool guy."

And while some Wu fans might've been disappointed that Raekwon wasn't on last year's The Pretty Toney Album, Ghost promised the Chef would be featured on at least four or five songs on the new disc.

"Fans are always asking why you didn't do this or that, but they have to understand that people are working and busy themselves," Ghostface said.

Schedules aside, the two are also in the early stages of piecing together a second duet album, following up Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

"We sort of Batman'd and Robin'd that first album," Ghost recalled. "I told him to send me some beats that he wants to use so I could catch some lines on it when I could. I'm really trying to focus on my thing, but I like to focus on two things at the same time."

A lot has changed since their 1995 album, Ghostface said ??? especially the state of hip-hop. Referring to 50 Cent and the Game's highly publicized saga earlier this month (see "50 Cent And The Game Call A Truce"), he declared, "The game is like wrestling right now. ... I don't see any originality in it no more. Everything is a gimmick. It's not based upon good music. It's just based on hype now. You have to shoot somebody in order to sell some records. I put out good albums, but my albums never really sold nothing."

He's hoping Jay-Z can reverse that trend, now that Jay's got a corner office at Def Jam (see "Jay-Z, Dame Dash Sell Roc-A-Fella Records; Jay Named Def Jam Prez").

"Jay knows I'm fresh, and [about] the work I've been putting in on the streets. It's great for somebody to understand me," Ghost said. "I'm glad that Hov is the president because I'd rather talk to him than anyone that's over 50 years old. I just wanna get my talent out to the world within these next two or three years. And maybe two albums after that I might call it a wrap.

"My goal was just to do 10 albums. But if God spares my life and gives me the frame of mind, then I'm gonna keep going until he tells me to stop," Ghost continued. "I'm going to go straight into film. I've been writing movies. I want to produce and direct if I could and just get my movie career up, 'cause I think I could get real busy on the acting tip. If they caught me in Hollywood, it's gonna be some sh--. I want to do a little real estate and help poor people. I want to be that dude on the TV like, 'For five cents a day you could feed this kid right here.' That's what I want to do. It's payback for what God gave me."

MF Doom's manager said he expects Ghostface and MF Doom's album to drop this fall. Ghost said his solo album and his reunion with Raekwon will likely drop later this year as well.

??? Hillary Crosley

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I want to be that dude on the TV like, 'For five cents a day you could feed this kid right here.

REAL TALK

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I really dug Pretty Toney, and the Theodore Unit album had some good tracks, but I'm going to withold judgement on this until I hear something. I got nothing against Doom, but that sounds like a severe mismatching of styles.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Beautiful. Seems like a natural paring to me. Two creative lyricists rapping over old soul loops and breaks...what could be better? (answer: nothing)

word up, well said.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Beautiful. Seems like a natural paring to me. Two creative lyricists rapping over old soul loops and breaks...what could be better? (answer: nothing)

mf doom production...

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    if you like Ghostface's last album I can't see why you think Doom couldn't lay some tracks for him.

• "got the internet going nuts"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

mf doom production...
    I think the quality control will be better on this project, because Ghostface has a good ear for beats, as evidenced by his albums and his collaboration with Prefuse 73.

Dude that collabo with Prefuse was a pasted-together gun for hire job. I know it fits your world view but I would imagine that you would prefer music made from the heart with each artist actually building together on the song...

Anywhoo, that's one of the worst beats Ghost has rocked, up there with that backwards shit on Supreme Clientele. I have high hopes for this though.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

mf doom production...
    I think the quality control will be better on this project, because Ghostface has a good ear for beats, as evidenced by his albums and his collaboration with Prefuse 73.

Dude that collabo with Prefuse was a pasted-together gun for hire job. I know it fits your world view but I would imagine that you would prefer music made from the heart with each artist actually building together on the song...

Anywhoo, that's one of the worst beats Ghost has rocked, up there with that backwards shit on Supreme Clientele. I have high hopes for this though.

the El-P remix is kinda dope IMO. I copped the 12" just for that. The prefuse beat was doodoo though.

I gotta disagree with you here. Dooms beats and the type of beats Ghostface rhymes over are very different. Out of the two, I feel that Ghost has far more talent. I'm not saying I expect the collaboration to be bad, but I thought Madvillain got very old very fast and I'd hate to see this do the same.

On a side note, if I could choose a single rapper to produce for, I would choose Ghostface without hesitation.

[/ghostfacedickriding]

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Anywhoo, that's one of the worst beats Ghost has rocked, up there with that backwards shit on Supreme Clientele.[/b]

One of the dopest beats in the history of mankind. GHOST DON'T PICK WACK BEATS- some are just more doper than others.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    am i herb for not really caring about this?

am i herb for not really caring about this?
    Not at all. But you might be a herb if you think anyone cares about you not caring about this.

I JUST MELTED YOUR FACE, DOOD! RADD!

Anywhoo, that's one of the worst beats Ghost has rocked, up there with that backwards shit on Supreme Clientele.[/b]

One of the dopest beats in the history of mankind. GHOST DON'T PICK WACK BEATS- some are just more doper than others.

If you're talking about that beat where the record keeps getting pulled back, than I totally agree with Johnny on this one. That's the only track I skip on that album.

If you're talking about that beat where the record keeps getting pulled back, than I totally agree with Johnny on this one. That's the only track I skip on that album.

Yeah, I know... a lot of people say that. Y'all just don't get it! I reiterate- One of the dopest beats in the history of mankind. GHOST DON'T PICK WACK BEATS!!![/b]

Yeah, I know... a lot of people say that. Y'all just don't get it! I reiterate- One of the dopest beats in the history of mankind. GHOST DON'T PICK WACK BEATS!!![/b]

Maybe if you could explain what I'm missing, I might "get" it. Otherwise, I'll continue to believe it is one of the most irritating beats in the history of mankind.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Uh, except that Prefuse beat was maaaaad snoozy.

In any case, I think Ghost and MF Doom has potential. Just don't expect Rza.

Maybe if you could explain what I'm missing, I might "get" it. Otherwise, I'll continue to believe it is one of the most irritating beats in the history of mankind.

Nah... if I have to explain it you'll never "get" it. It's cool, it's just one of those "to each his own" things. Believe it or not, there was a time when irritating beats were very popular in hip hop. Some of those early Public Enemy records ("Public Enemy No. 1", "Rebel Without A Pause") irritated the HELL out of a lot of people! Usually, though, the people who didn't like those kinds of beats really didn't like hip hop for what it was (not trying to say that's the case with your dislike for the "Stroke Of Death" beat, hommie... I'm just sayin', though).

Just curious, but how many people out there actually dig that beat?

I mean, I love the whole, "I don't give a fuck, I'll rhyme straight over a Delfonics track" attitude a lot. But that other beat sounded like it was high on concept and low on execution. As some folks know, though, I'm only hip hop since '97 (what up, De?), so my tastes are from a whole different era.

Nah... if I have to explain it you'll never "get" it. It's cool, it's just one of those "to each his own" things. Believe it or not, there was a time when irritating beats were very popular in hip hop. Some of those early Public Enemy records ("Public Enemy No. 1", "Rebel Without A Pause") irritated the HELL out of a lot of people! Usually, though, the people who didn't like those kinds of beats really didn't like hip hop for what it was (not trying to say that's the case with your dislike for the "Stroke Of Death" beat, hommie... I'm just sayin', though).

Phil, is this your explanation for everything that people disagree with you on? Yall just don't get it! Come on man... I mean "Rebel Without A Pause" don't even belong in the same POST as "stroke of death" (aptly named, I almost had a stroke of death trying to listen to it!)

Man I like chaotic beats as much as the next man. But sometimes RZA and Ghost are on that dust! And, well, I'm not. Maybe if I was I would "get it"

Phil, is this your explanation for everything that people disagree with you on? Yall just don't get it! Come on man... I mean "Rebel Without A Pause" don't even belong in the same POST as "stroke of death" (aptly named, I almost had a stroke of death trying to listen to it!)

Man I like chaotic beats as much as the next man. But sometimes RZA and Ghost are on that dust! And, well, I'm not. Maybe if I was I would "get it"

Now, Johnny.... why you tryin' to turn this into a beef type situation? I did put a happy smiling face after that comment, didn't I? And I did say it's a "to each his own" type thing, did I not? To answer your question, yes... this IS my explanation for everything that people disagree with me on, of course it is! It's true, I get it and you don't! (Note the smiling face, Johnny.) But y'all probably get a lot of Texas rap that I don't get, so that makes us even.

I reiterate yet again- GHOST DON'T PICK WACK BEATS!!![/b]

Now, Johnny.... why you tryin' to turn this into a beef type situation? I did put a happy smiling face after that comment, didn't I? And I did say it's a "to each his own" type thing, did I not? To answer your question, yes... this IS my explanation for everything that people disagree with me on, of course it is! It's true, I get it and you don't! (Note the smiling face, Johnny.) But y'all probably get a lot of Texas rap that I don't get, so that makes us even.

I reiterate yet again- GHOST DON'T PICK WACK BEATS!!![/b]

Nah nah, no beef! I just get amped with the arguments man. You know, if we were all sitting around talking about this you would just be like, "Damn Jonny's hella sincere right now!" haha

You know what though? I maintain, that's music for the blitted right there...

"damn phil, I didn't know you get wet!"

I will agree with the other 99.999% of Ghost's beats though, dude has pretty impeccable taste.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

just for the record i think that is one of the dopest beats ever[/b] also....

o.k. maybe not EVER..but it is very dope

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I don't know if I'm in the position to be speaking on this right now, since I'm just a space cadet listening to Ame Son, but I think Ghost and MF have very similar wordplay, but different delivery. I think they would mesh perfectly together. I was thinking they should collab for quite a while now. Glad to see they are play buddies now.

Looking forward to hearing some new works.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

I LOVE that beat.... so fucking ill...

peace.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This shit should be nice if Doom does the beats, he's generally best suited for his own production. Ghost can rock over anything, so I'm not worried about that.

For the record, I like the "stroke of death" beat, but it can get annoying.

What's everyone's favourite beat from that album? I'm going with "Might Healthy"

I like the one with the Gladys Knight "Queen of Tears" sample...

This shit should be nice if Doom does the beats, he's generally best suited for his own production. Ghost can rock over anything, so I'm not worried about that.

For the record, I like the "stroke of death" beat, but it can get annoying.

What's everyone's favourite beat from that album? I'm going with "Might Healthy"

I like the one with the Gladys Knight "Queen of Tears" sample...

Hmmm... which one is that? I thought I knew every sample on that album. Maybe I'm just forgetting... it has been a minute since that came out.

That's one of those albums that I kinda view as one whole entity- it's hard for me to even separate the songs and pick which one I like the best. But if you put a gun to my head I guess I'd have to pick "Buck 50"- just a classic Baby Huey loop but I love the way that sh*t sounds when the "there's no love to be found" comes in. That song right there pretty much epitomizes what hip hop at it's best to me. I'm also especially lovin' "One", "We Made It" and "Apollo Kids" (but I love everything else on that album, too).