grading scale(s) ?

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I'm sure this has been discussed before but...What grading scale do you soulstutters use when buying/selling on ebay? Would you expect a record listed as VG+ to have surface noise (hiss) and pops or would you expect some surface marks and scratches that didn't effect playback at all?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    latter

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I believe crazypoprock said that he makes it a point to grade under a bulb that is 30 watts or less...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I definitely think VG+ is a "higher" grade now than it used to be. VG+ used to mean trashed to me, there were all these VG++ and EXC- before NM. Now it seems VG+ can be pretty damn clean. Of course, it seems to be a grey area where some sellers think an LP that David Lee Roth did rails off of for 3 weeks is VG+, so it's hard to say. I think when buying records unseen, my approach is VG+ means you are taking a chance, because a seller can argue that VG+ means beat if you try to complain.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    CPR is too busy standin' tall to defend his honor!!!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I definitely think VG+ is a "higher" grade now than it used to be. VG+ used to mean trashed to me, there were all these VG++ and EXC- before NM. Now it seems VG+ can be pretty damn clean. Of course, it seems to be a grey area where some sellers think an LP that David Lee Roth did rails off of for 3 weeks is VG+, so it's hard to say. I think when buying records unseen, my approach is VG+ means you are taking a chance, because a seller can argue that VG+ means beat if you try to complain.

The record "looks" like it would be VG+. It is fairly glossy with a few surface marks and scratches but the playback is pretty bad. After not finding the record for a while in used bins I decided to pick it up on the bay. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I was expecting when I put the needle on the record.

How do you all deal with this sort of thing usually? Do you ask for a refund and return the record or do you just eat the cost?

-billb

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The record "looks" like it would be VG+. It is fairly glossy with a few surface marks and scratches but the playback is pretty bad. After not finding the record for a while in used bins I decided to pick it up on the bay. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I was expecting when I put the needle on the record.

How do you all deal with this sort of thing usually? Do you ask for a refund and return the record or do you just eat the cost?

-billb

If you dropped real loot on it, or even if you just feel gyped, you can certainly contact the seller and say so. Most but not all eBay sellers will accept returns, if you wanna eat the shipping cost, which is better than eating the whole thing, if you consider the album useless to you. Like I said, if he tries to flex, the VG+ thing can get thorny, because sellers will use it both ways to support whatever argument they are trying to make:

"this is TRUE VG+, very nice copy!"

"if you read the description, I SAID it was VG+!"

If it is an actual record store or heavy vinyl dealer, they will most likely accept your return if you say "it was visually VG+, but played VG-" since most don't play grade records, and don't want negative feedback.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

If you dropped real loot on it, or even if you just feel gyped, you can certainly contact the seller and say so. Most but not all eBay sellers will accept returns, if you wanna eat the shipping cost, which is better than eating the whole thing, if you consider the album useless to you.

While I only paid about a 1/3 of what the record normally sells for it is just a matter of principle. I didn't get what I thought I was ordering. I'll probably just eat the cost on this one though because it didn't cost me much and I can probably still get away with playing this one out til I find a better copy.

Oh well, the Austin Record Convention is this weekend. Hopefully I can dig up another copy there.

thanks for all of your responses.

-billb