Bobby Hutcherson - funky ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
IMO one of the best blue note artist ever..

.I know near all of his 60's output, but these last days I'm more into the funky side and I discovered I don't have anything from him in the 70's ( montara is the exception)

......which album you suggest to look for ?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I like that album "San Francisco"... mellllllowwwww...

Natural Illusions got a nice break on it from memory...

peace.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Montara.

Big cosign on San Francisco, dope ass record.

• Montara ?

mmmhh it sounds really more a "latin" record to me...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    It is. To be honest I like his straight forward 60's stuff alot more than Montara. A lot of people love that Montara lp though, it defintly has some funky tracks on it.

• Options

I'm a fan of some of his music, but do you realize what you're saying. Probably not.

K.

• I said "one of the best" ....of course many others were equally/more talented around......please don't start a trial here.....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "Now" with Eugene McDaniels.

• I always like the way this:

was freaked on this:

Aloe Blacc (ft. Dru)
    "Emanon"

Herm

• "Now" with Eugene McDaniels.

This is arguably his funkiest (lots of rhodes, e-bass, etc.) Also "San Francisco" w/ Harold Land another nice one.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I'm a fan of some of his music, but do you realize what you're saying. Probably not.

K.

I would most defenitely put him in a best of Blue Note list. He is one of the archetypal Blue Note artists.

• IMO one of the best blue note artist ever..

K.

I would most defenitely put him in a best of Blue Note list. He is one of the archetypal Blue Note artists.

As would I...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I also like "Head On", not funky, more on the spiritual/free side. The track 'Mtume' is fire. Also the live version of "The Creators" from:

is some modal fire. Early 70s live recording from Ljubjana, Yugoslavia with some nice Harold Land solo playing. Land is always a really strong player, I like his style a lot.
    Also, from his 70s stuff, don't sleep on this one:

Good playing and nice compositions. The only one of his late-70s stuff that I've kept (76). "Prime Thought" and the title track are really nice imo.
    I like Hutcherson when he goes into that trancey meditation mode. Even a track like "Ntu" from the "Linger Lane" album has that vibe. I don't own "San Francisco" or "Now!", unfortunately. Of course I dig a lot of his 60s output too. Just got "Components" recently.