how many of you ...........

13»

Comments

• Liking it and understanding it are two different things, though, and a lot of those European dudes pledging undying devotion to rap clearly don't understand much about it.

I'd like to see you step up to someone in Paris, London or Berlin & tell them that.
    Why do you think true hip hop acts tour more over there than in the US? They love the shit with a passion that the Americans have lost.

Shouldn't that read:

They hate new hip-hop with a passion that the Americans can't understand[/b] ?

Noz, thanks for your longer post above. It sums up my feelings, too. As a white American, I'm an outsider to hip-hop in many ways, so I feel the need to approach things with the same level of respect I show when in someone else's home. A lot of these European dudes just ain't wipin' their Lottos on the mat before comin' inside.

I'd like to see you step up to someone in Brooklyn, Houston, or Oakland & tell them that [the music they love isn't real hip-hop].

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'd like to see you step up to someone in Brooklyn, Houston, or Oakland & tell them that [the music they love isn't real hip-hop].

I'm not even sure how much that phrase would resonate with the devotee of not-real hip-hop being addressed, though...

I, personally, have used the word "hip-hop" less and less over the past five years as it's accquired increasingly embarassing connotations.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I'm not even sure how much that phrase would resonate with the devotee of not-real hip-hop being addressed, though...

I, personally, have used the word "hip-hop" less and less over the past five years as it's accquired increasingly embarassing connotations.

I feel the same about the word "real".

• I feel the same about the word "soft".

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Bingo. As if there were a zoning board of some sort.

I feel the same about the word "soft".

Aren't you late for your lunchtime plans to meet up with P****k and sip on a strawberry daiquiri with a touch of Bailey's through matching elbow straws?

• I feel the same about the word "soft".

Aren't you late for your lunchtime plans to meet up with P****k and sip on a strawberry daiquiri with a touch of Bailey's through matching elbow straws?

Yeah, right.

(It's only 10am here; I still have two hours.)

Bingo. As if there were a zoning board of some sort.

What word does a person who has banished "real" from their vocabulary use when asked to describe Styles P, though?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

rap is something you do hip hop is something you don't?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I feel the same about the word "soft".

Man you know its all about that "hard" shit!

BTW I thought it was cool seein all the graf in Europe everywhere. Maybe dudes out there are on that 4 elements shit because its still alive to them.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Hip hop was exported to us (Europeans) as ???The 4 Elements??? and that???s way I believe we continue along those lines.

That said Japan had the 4 Elements thing going for a long time but on the whole it dead there now or at least way underground (which is cool by me as that???s where is started).So I guess its on borrowed time over here also.

• Man you know its all about "Bust Yo' Shit!"

I just realized last week that you produced that (E-40, B-Legit, and Rankin' Scroo). Nice slaps.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    So is this the new "keeping it real"?

How can I be down? Or is that not keeping it real by saying "how can I be down"?

I'm so confused. All I wanted was a Pepsi.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    All I wanted was a Pepsi.

And she wouldn't give it to me!!

I'm not crazy!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Man you know its all about "Bust Yo' Shit!"

I just realized last week that you produced that (E-40, B-Legit, and Rankin' Scroo). Nice slaps.

Thanks man. I think that was the session in which I first heard the word "slap".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

That said Japan had the 4 Elements thing going for a long time but on the whole it dead there now or at least way underground (which is cool by me as that???s where is started).So I guess its on borrowed time over here also.

This argument is incredibly stupid but this is a very interesting idea - the Japanese really try to keep pace with the cutting edge of American culture, whereas Europe generally takes an attitude like, "we'll be the ones to decide what's culturally valuable here."

I think this is the main difference - Japan seems to just want to be down (not necessarily in a bad way, although sometimes) with what Americans are doing, whereas Europe seems to feel like they'll take what they want out of it, and when it's not what they want, they'll declare it dead.

Btw, hip-hop is alive and well. It's most of yall who's dead to it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Btw, hip-hop is alive and well. It's most of yall who's dead to it.

well said

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    we all love hip hop,yadda yadda yadda,blah blah blah.hip hop will remain alive.Jazz at one time was the pop of its time.rock was there as well.hip hop right now is joined at the hip with pop.im afraid the cycles might continue like everyother genre of music. a lot of folks think their shit is going to be at the forefront forever.

• I'm dead to Hip Hop,

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Btw, [color:blue]James Brown [/color] is alive and well.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like to use the phrase "Urban Contemporary".

yeah.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

Read this excellent article from Reginald C Dennis that was posted up yesterday. It may be 20,000 words but it's a fascinating insight.
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/features/id.406

Thanks for posting that link man.
    A seriously good read and any Source readers from back in the days should take the time and read this ish.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm 34, so I was around and buying/listening to hip hop since the early 80's...hip hop opened my mind to many types of music I hadn't explored, from OG soul to jazz to lounge to funk...there is a whole generation of diggers/record collectors who started as sample spotters.

I am so NOT up on hip hop anymore, in fact most of the stuff I seek out these days I learn about right here on the Strut, like the Edan and the TX crews, etc. I read alot of arguments here and elsewhere that 50 Cent is the death of hip hop and all, but I have to admit, the times I actually do listen to JA'MN 94.5 or Hott 97.7, it's the 50 songs that always catch my ear, get my head noddin' like the old days. Maybe if I'm not so involved in shit, it's easier to like the popular shit, than if I'm worryin' about "keepin' it real." Same with Jay-Z, they played him every 3rd song on those stations, but it was the only shit I really liked anymore that they would play, so I didn't give a fuck.

I'll be listening to hip hop more now, cause summer is coming[/b]...I only really listen to it in my car anymore, it's made for driving around in the sun with the windows down, so I'll be looking for my summer jams 2005...although I usually just keep "Critical Beatdown" in the player from may-september.
    Well, that and this:

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Things won???t get better if the best idea that someone can come up with is to try to turn the clock back to 1983 or call the late 80s ??? early 90s the ???golden age.??? It???s 2005, and you should be doing your best to make sure that 2005 is considered the best year ever.

Things won???t get better if the best idea that someone can come up with is to try to turn the clock back to 1983 or call the late 80s ??? early 90s the ???golden age.??? It???s 2005, and you should be doing your best to make sure that 2005 is considered the best year ever.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ok, except I listen to this:

More than I listen to this:

Doesn't mean I hate on the new, I just like the "classics" better. I definitely don't get people who act like hip hop died or stopped being interesting at some point...hip hop has not changed nearly as much as people want to act like it did, except I think lyricism has dropped overall in quality. Beats are still fresh and competitive, tho.