LA Heads: The current state of Aron's Records???

igotthatbeatigotthatbeat 263 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Is it just me, or has this place really fallen the fuck off?The day after Luther Vandross passed away, they put out a copy of Change Glow of Love for $8.99 in VG- condition. I was there two days ago and it's still sitting. 75% of thier staff are "diggers" which gives us a fine selection of Peabo Bryson and America LP's. Quality control has become a mess as well as thier excuse for employees.Here's what else happened a couple days ago...employee: "sorry but the listening station is closed"me: "I can't listen to a few records If I'm interested in buying them?"employee: "nope, not now...the person in charge of the listening station is on her cigarette break, you should came back in an hour so."me: "it's all good I don't need her to turn on the record player, I know how to do that on my own, you can even watch if you'd like"The bitchass then went to go tell this pseudo lookin John Lennon mufucka running things behind the counter. Guess he didn't give a shit. What a joke.I really wouldn't be surprised if Aron's went out of business in less than 5 years from now. Even Amoeba, which is known for being a cheapskate on trade-ins, comes more correct nowadays.Sad to say but a staple of Los Angeles record stores has become a shithole.

Comments

• yep - except for the occasional $12 Lamonte Young LP, it ain't happening.

• had the exact same experience. got into a huge arguement with them. dude accused me of using arrons as a library. i was like dude if i didn't walk out of here the last two weeks in a row with $100 worth of records you might be able to say that, but fuck you. their attitude sucks. their prices are high. while you are listening to the 5 records you pulled out they are digging through their fat stack of records they've pulled for themselves. then one of their homies comes in a gets another stack. i know i would probably hold records for my friends and myself but i would be flaunting it like they do there. i used to love to go there and spend a few hours, now i don't even stop in.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    reading all this fucking sucks.

that's always been a "go to" spot for me when I'm in LA.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    reading all this fucking sucks.

that's always been a "go to" spot for me when I'm in LA.
    co-sign, morocco_mole and i went there on a road trip 8yrs ago, picked up all sorts of weird krautrock, dub shit, but from what i've heard over the last few years, it sounds worse than tower (which isn't always bad, especially the weird one in anaheim).

• This new news is very sad. Been going there for about 8 or nine years and to this day it is my favorite record store -- tons of cheap cool shit, run into friends, good food close by etc.

I had a problem with the listening station lady a few months ago to the point where I was almost crying. They enforce the five minute rule like a mutha. But they didnt even use to have one so oh well.

• it's not just aron's but every store has fallen off. the dollar bins occasionally are pretty good there, you have to check a lot though. haven't been there in a year and a half though.

my place is record surplus many a bargain has been had there. including east of underground and mike james kirkland, two copies of headless heroes etc. i feel that place is the best store in LA. that and my secret spot

• once amoeba came to town. most of the cool headz from arrons bounce to amoeba. the rest turned into uber-snobs. and the general vibe of the store turned to that of a cornered dog.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the place may be shitty to most, but the trick is get in good with the peoples there and watch them treat you better and better.

It also helps if you spit game at the cute girl behind the counter and take her out to a club.

• my place is record surplus many a bargain has been had there. including east of underground and mike james kirkland, two copies of headless heroes etc. i feel that place is the best store in LA. that and my secret spot

i haven't been there in a couple of years, but one of my homies works there off and on. (basically when his band isn't touring and he isn't surfing. dude is the dude .

• my place is record surplus many a bargain has been had there. including east of underground and mike james kirkland, two copies of headless heroes etc. i feel that place is the best store in LA. that and my secret spot

i haven't been there in a couple of years, but one of my homies works there off and on. (basically when his band isn't touring and he isn't surfing. dude is the dude .

who is your homie ?

• does this dood still work there?

• the place may be shitty to most, but the trick is get in good with the peoples there and watch them treat you better and better.

It also helps if you spit game at the cute girl behind the counter and take her out to a club.

did you dig out the pucchini style??

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the place may be shitty to most, but the trick is get in good with the peoples there and watch them treat you better and better.

the game is still afoot

• the place may be shitty to most, but the trick is get in good with the peoples there and watch them treat you better and better.

the game is still afoot

• does this dood still work there?

is that the really tall dude? always started funny conversations? if so he jumped to amoeba.

• Yeah, the Lamonte Young for $12 pretty much says it all.

Guzzo, are we talking about the fresh faced hippie looking blonde gal who is about a foot taller than you???

• well, ive honestly only been here like 5 times. ever. i even went there a month ago and picked up that messy marv 12" for a dollar and a whispers "life & breath" LP for 29 cent. ha ha! and ive never had a problem with the listening station girl/guy. it helps to be gorgeous though.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Guzzo, are we talking about the fresh faced hippie looking blonde gal who is about a foot taller than you???

nah, I'm talking on someone else...longtime crush that I finally got the guts to ask out.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• Hook up a double date yo

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

yo you're looking fly these days, D

haha

• who is that and are there anymore pictures of her out there on the superduperinfomationsupersuperhighway?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

yo you're looking fly these days, D

haha

I'm gonna holler @ this chick on myspace & ask her if she has fat arms & I ain't talking 'bout guns.

h

• Link please? I want to know what her personality is like

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    did any of y'all dudes spit game at shannyn sossamon when she worked there?

• No spitting but may have drooled / dribbled once or twice.

• this tall guy?

• Guzzo, are we talking about the fresh faced hippie looking blonde gal who is about a foot taller than you???

nah, I'm talking on someone else...longtime crush that I finally got the guts to ask out.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

you dont mean that girl with dyed hair and the fucked up teeth?????

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dudes come on. Aarons is like the only record store i ever go to anymore.

Sure the staff is lazy. But what do you want? If the listening station is closed, just chill for a minute. Or dont even ask and just start playing records. I doubt they will actually make the effort to walk over and stop you. they dont give a fuck.

as for the store stock. The prices i find are still cheap, and its constantly rotating. I dunno though. Im just digging for samples, which makes aarons perfect for me. If I was only looking for high dollar prize pieces i might tell a different tale.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

my jaw just dropped. can't believe she worked there. what a great opportunity (lost) to have bounced that ass.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

my jaw just dropped. can't believe she worked there. what a great opportunity (lost) to have bounced that ass.

Who is this girl?