Post a pic of your favourite record store!!!

Comments

• We saw this dude in _______ at a record show last month. Nice feller.
    co-sign
    dutch dude is dude

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Heard this spot closed.

I was very disappointed when I moved back from LA last year to find this closed. I remember a conversation with some of the guys behind the counter a couple of years ago where they told me that the owner wasn't really into the music. I guess the closure was a pure business decision, but I was really surprised because the downstairs (Hiphop) bit always looked busy and I always thought the upstairs (Latin) did a fair bit of mail order business. Does anyone know the story?

Yeah, where are Hugh and those guys? Last I heard someone from there put out a Biz Markie 12"

I use to love Bongo. I sold them atleast 10 copies of Main Source - Think/Atom back in the day. When did they close down? I haven't been to London in about 4 years now.

They closed almost a year ago. I think it was more an issue of the rent than anything else. Rent has been hiked all over Soho this last year or so, and it's pushed all kinds of businesses out of the area.

• Vinyl Only in Heidelberg (Germany)
    click on "look around" to have a 360?? view!

not my fav. record store (way too expensive)
    nice store. i got a peddlers suite london there for 8 euros not too expensive for me. peace, stein. . .

• Vinyl Only in Heidelberg (Germany)
    click on "look around" to have a 360?? view!

not my fav. record store (way too expensive)
    nice store. i got a peddlers suite london there for 8 euros not too expensive for me. peace, stein. . .

no seriously, sometimes they might have some cheap ones, but all in all it's too expensive.
    i heard they got some financial problems right now, cause no one is buying shit.
    hope it ain't true. gotta go there soon and give them some of my hard earned money.

• ScopeCGN what's the name of that shop in belgium?

yes, I want to know it too

• Apparently they raised the rates by a huge amount which forced Bongos out. Also the owner wasn't particularly interested in records.

Yemsky, if your in London you should try and make it along to one of the Vinyl Vulture monthly meets to meet like minded record nerds.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    ScopeCGN what's the name of that shop in belgium?

i believe it must be the "record collector" or something like that in antwerp, right? was there once, dude has mad records, but also not for cheap! Sorry to reveal your spot, scope

• Damn Grope, you have me planning a new trip to Germany just to hit those spots up again!

(Nah, I have no money)

Still though, this thread is doap as hell!

- J

• ScopeCGN what's the name of that shop in belgium?

i believe it must be the "record collector" or something like that in antwerp, right? was there once, dude has mad records, but also not for cheap! Sorry to reveal your spot, scope

Nah,

no prob: The name is different by the way... Its "Vinyl Museum" :-) But don't worry guys, Im gonna be there this sat and dry it down, leave the spot like the fckn sahara

Mr. Dojah:
    How things a gwan my man sticky to the icky? I know, I owe you a playlist for the mix... Im working on it, just been 2 lazy... sorry! Got mad nu vinyl here and about to record you more

BTW: Your mix was sickmadill :-) Got it on my Mp3 player and can almost hum along all songs!

Just spoke to Katmando and heard they will finish Funkvergnuegen 3 next weekend. Im curious about what they put on it. I also made some contributions, hehe...

Scoper

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Are we taking over this board?

Welcome Sticky Dojah !

Americans please stand up and teach us lil euro guys about the elements!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Welcome Sticky Dojah !

Thanx, Olski, its good to finally be here after all these years of lurking;) I am just in the studio remixing the track defcon gave to you, we are halfway through and incorporated some new beats which sound waaay better, gonna send it to u asap! & Scope, thanx for your mix too again, mad ish, glad you like mine!

• We saw this dude in Alabama at a record show last month. Nice feller.
    Birmingham Record Show?

• Are we taking over this board?

Naaaah, man!

we talk pm, don't we? BTW: Big thanks for the info reg. the dupli paperworks and stuff. You olde record game pro, you are!
    BTW: I like the DEVIL MCDOOM 12" you gave me, nice BRKZ!

Maybe see you 2morrow n8, we will host ACTION SCHMIDT on the 1&2's...?

Best,

SC

• Heard this spot closed.

I was very disappointed when I moved back from LA last year to find this closed. I remember a conversation with some of the guys behind the counter a couple of years ago where they told me that the owner wasn't really into the music. I guess the closure was a pure business decision, but I was really surprised because the downstairs (Hiphop) bit always looked busy and I always thought the upstairs (Latin) did a fair bit of mail order business. Does anyone know the story?

Yeah, where are Hugh and those guys? Last I heard someone from there put out a Biz Markie 12"

I use to love Bongo. I sold them atleast 10 copies of Main Source - Think/Atom back in the day. When did they close down? I haven't been to London in about 4 years now.

They closed almost a year ago. I think it was more an issue of the rent than anything else. Rent has been hiked all over Soho this last year or so, and it's pushed all kinds of businesses out of the area.

entirelly true, the rent was just too much.. they are doing their own thing, they put out tunes under the alias 'beyond there' - i think thats huw and the ginger haired one, tom i believe

bongos was ill, could always thro down ??100 in there anytime you go in. plus they knew their stuffs. friends working in there and little discounts always helps

my shops in bristol are repsycho (clothes store vintage style, with 2nd hand underneath) and rooted records..

• This is my dawg but he might as well be Hitler when it comes to records.

• damn! finally figured out photobucket.
    how the f do i resize these images?????

the infamous:

• If I had pictures of Plan 9 in Richmond or Groove Merchant in SF I'd post those.
    The Bizarre

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    My store (had to do it) during a band in-store last month. If I had pictures of Plan 9 in Richmond or Groove Merchant in SF I'd post those.

Aren't you scared of poeple stealing your records? Cause that was a major issue at my favorite store once. Very seriuos people plus hip youngsters stealing everything and their mothers. Some kids out of my suburbian ground might have broken into that store too. They never admitted the crime, but right after the store had broken windows, my people had records. I'd be paranoid with all those people in my store. How do you protect yourself?

BTW, your store looks very nice! Congrats! Very comfy!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I ALMOST KILLED HIM FOR GRABBIN SHIT OUT OF THE OTHER END OF THE CRATE I WAS LOOKIN THRU

I HATE when people do that. They need to chill the fuck out and show some goddamn respect!! It's just records. You're not racing the clock trying to find a cure for cancer in that crate, stupid. Sometimes record hunting brings out the worst in people.

Thou shalt not covet the next man's crate, for it makes you look real ugly. And God don't like ugly.

• My store (had to do it) during a band in-store last month. If I had pictures of Plan 9 in Richmond or Groove Merchant in SF I'd post those.

Aren't you scared of poeple stealing your records? Cause that was a major issue at my favorite store once. Very seriuos people plus hip youngsters stealing everything and their mothers. Some kids out of my suburbian ground might have broken into that store too. They never admitted the crime, but right after the store had broken windows, my people had records. I'd be paranoid with all those people in my store. How do you protect yourself?

Haven't had many problems yet. Store is small enough to keep an eye. Someone did take a few CD's yesterday but since we keep the discs behind the counter all they got was the cases. I'd love to see the look on the idiot's face when he got home.

• My store (had to do it) during a band in-store last month. If I had pictures of Plan 9 in Richmond or Groove Merchant in SF I'd post those.

damn, somebody get ol' girl a belt...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Haven't had many problems yet. Store is small enough to keep an eye. Someone did take a few CD's yesterday but since we keep the discs behind the counter all they got was the cases. I'd love to see the look on the idiot's face when he got home.

I still don't know how to steal 12". The store I'm talking about has a counter right next to the door and the employees keep an eye on their customers. There were still times when stealing broke their back. How do people steal 12" out of stores?

the infamous:

I have seen this freak in acton at a few shows
    What The FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIM??????
    It's as though DUde is an actual manefestation of a cartoon RECORD SHOW/FLEA MARKET ULTRA GEEK in 3d.
    I ALMOST KILLED HIM FOR GRABBIN SHIT OUT OF THE OTHER END OF THE CRATE I WAS LOOKIN THRU in WAYNE
    FUCKING LITTLE SCEREWBALL FUCKTARD
    DUDE Scampered AWAY
    Shook record show FREAK

Stinky Steve is a poet.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    How do people steal 12" out of stores?

required viewing:

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

the infamous:

infamous or famous
    now world famous stevie nick
    the scented one
    last week folker grabbed my pile to play & buy
    whilest i was getting my player
    but i didn't want to rock the karma

check for his audio on aeiou or aeio2
    its just like talking to him

where is the count photo when we need it ??

• dude, stinky steve is a legend, no doubt about it.
    his fame runs into the backroads of carolina, down to florida and all the way up the coast. i never really smelled him either (not really trying to) but ive been around him enough to say he's not a dummy. the man will talk on and on and on about weird erotic philosophies and cultural phenomenon and environmental pollution. but first and foremost, he is a hustler. all he does is look for records, tapes, and books.

he definitely has is off days, but when he is on....no telling what you can catch and no telling what the price will be, high or low. plus, he always walks the line between highly entertaining and highly obnoxious...so its always an adventure trying to deal with him. i stopped buying from him for over 2 years, too much to take.....but i'm back like a crack ho since 2004.

but make no mistake....no matter how many funk 45s off brainfreeze you own, no matter how ill your dj skills are...dude eclipses all of us in legendary status.

the infamous:

infamous or famous
    now world famous stevie nick
    the scented one
    last week folker grabbed my pile to play & buy
    whilest i was getting my player
    but i didn't want to rock the karma

check for his audio on aeiou or aeio2
    its just like talking to him

where is the count photo when we need it ??
    on aeiou part 1, listen for the minnie ripperton song, you'll hear him there.
    on part 2, listen for led zeppelin, you'll hear him again.
    dude be droppin' some gems..