Repubs on SS: Whats your current opinion on Bush?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I know they are few & far between on this board but they are out there.On my already infamous talk with my play-grandma yesterday we both realized we don't have too many Right wing friends and don't know what their current opinion is of Bush, Fema and the administrations reaction to Katrina.Left wingers:[/b] please don't attack these dudes for stating what they believe. I genuinely want to know what is being thought of the current situation. FALL BACK

Comments

• I'm not a big fan of the guy, Guz. While I think most "liberals" go out of their way to find reasons to hate this guy (I mean think if Bush had responded perfectly with a flawless recovery plan, do you really think liberals would praise the effort? Absolutely not, some would still find something he did or said to gripe about), some criticism here is appropriate. The man just doesn't carry himself very well. I mean politicians are all full of shit, but at least sound convincing, ya know?

And hell, I don't even call myself a Republican, I try not to get involved. But if I had to choose I'd go Republican for a variety of reasons I won't get into here.

Peace out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm not a big fan of the guy, Guz. While I think most "liberals" go out of their way to find reasons to hate this guy (I mean think if Bush had responded perfectly with a flawless recovery plan, do you really think liberals would praise the effort? Absolutely not, some would still find something he did or said to gripe about), some criticism here is appropriate. The man just doesn't carry himself very well. I mean politicians are all full of shit, but at least sound convincing, ya know?

And hell, I don't even call myself a Republican, I try not to get involved. But if I had to choose I'd go Republican for a variety of reasons I won't get into here.

Peace out.

Thank you for sharing. This is the first words I've heard from anyone on the "other side" and I respect you for stating them

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Well... here's a nice pictures showing Bush doing his best:

Sorry for not being serious.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Guzzy,

There's a large set of assumptions that go into your question, not the least of which is the presumption that there's some kind of monolithic "Republican mindset" out there. If anything, what we've seen over the course of the Bush's two terms is a real schism within the GOP and the larger, general "conservative" movement where these labels are steadily being cast into confusion, even within the communities we're talking about.

To me, I think Bush's supporters fall into one of a few basic camps:

His most vocal are social conservative, Religious Right types who see Bush as the best conduit they have to winning the culture war at home. So long as Bush sticks to their agenda, he can do no wrong, not at home or overseas. I suspect the 74% of REpublicans who approve of Bush's handling on Katrina fall into this base - they seem the least interested in anything outside of their own narrow focus of outlawing abortion, gay marriage and bringing more Church into state.

This is followed by the new breed of post-Reagan neo-cons who don't care so much about domestic social policy as they do about foreign policy. THese are the ones who think Iraq is an important mission, regardless of the series of false pretenses that sent us there. Their primarily invested in how the U.S. is exporting its ideology overseas and they see Bush as the right man to do it, presumably (I think) as an extension of Bush Sr. and Reagan's efforts in this area. I would their view on Katrina is mostly cautious but many of them, from what I've seen, are too busy defending the Iraq War to really have a say in how relief efforts are going.

What's left are more traditional conservatives, many of who, I think, are in conflict over what they've seen happen within the GOP over the last 10 years. I'm sure there's some catchy name for them but whatever: they favor old-fashioned conservative pillars: small government, less federal intervention, fiscal conservatism but social moderatism. They've been the ones who've largely been left out in the cold over the course of the Bush's reign and I think, would be the most comfortable with voicing objections to what they've seen. I don't think they'd go out of their way to vote Democrat though but they might be willing to back more indpenedent leadership (see McCain).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Oliver I agree that there are factions amongst the republican party, the same can be said for democrats as well (moderates, far left-wingers, etc.)

I just want to know what anyone who consideres themselves a "republican" or "right-winger" thinks of Bush's current work

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm not a big fan of the guy, Guz. While I think most "liberals" go out of their way to find reasons to hate this guy (I mean think if Bush had responded perfectly with a flawless recovery plan, do you really think liberals would praise the effort? Absolutely not, some would still find something he did or said to gripe about), some criticism here is appropriate. The man just doesn't carry himself very well. I mean politicians are all full of shit, but at least sound convincing, ya know?

Peace out.

Lamar thank you for answering. I am about to go on a rant here, because you echo what drives me crazy about so many Bush supports. This is not being aimed at you.

It's convient how short the memory is of people who HATE liberals. To refresh their memory, after 9/11 support for Bush was well over 90% up around 97%. Support for the Afgan war likewise was over 90%. Yet they are so filled with HATE that they believe, that people who are upset about the handling of the current disaster are liberals who go out of their way to find reasons to hate this guy.

We are talking about a president who lied to take us to war.

A president who totally bungled that war.

A president that has taken a balanced budget and turned it into a 7 trillion dollar deficit.

A president that just signed an order to allow Haliburton to under pay it's employees.

I guess he's ok with you guys as long as he isn't caught having sex with an intern. And if he does get caught it would still have to be proven that she really was an intern.

• I'm not a republican. I consider myself to be a leftist, but I've never had much faith in the political process to begin with.

But I found this interesting:
    Poll from AOL news:

Do you think President Bush should be criticized for failings in Katrina relief efforts?
    No 50%
    Yes 50%

Do you think any of the mistakes officials made were rooted in racism?
    No 71%
    Yes 29%

Total Votes: 327,178

I find the AOL messageboards to be treasure trove of right-wing narrowmindedness. I never post. I only observe to see how they're spinning things.

Here's a sampling of some, posted in regards to this headline:

Laura Bush Says Criticism of Husband 'Disgusting' [/b]

Good for you, Mrs. Bush. You said it right and you said it good. I think exactly the same way about your husband-----he cares about all Americans, regardless of race or creed. Not only that he is a fine Christian man.

Mary Lou in Michigan

It is not the blame of George Bush that a hurricane hit New Orleans, This is not about racism, who cares if you are black, white, hispanic or any other nationality, who cares if you were rich or poor, this was a strick by mother nature, not President Bush !!! There is no one to blame.
    Lots of this:

am so sick of hearing about RACISM, I could throw up.... Living off the government, for generations, is reduculous.. DO something WITH and FOR yourself, GO TO SCHOOL, learn a trade, and do something for YOURSELVES....WHERE do you think 50 billion dollars is coming from?? "The Government".. TRANSULATED=TAXPAYERS MONEY, that THEY earned! .. Stop using "Im poor and black", as some ignorant excuse.. And to boot, LOOTING, murder, mayhem and rape?? ....Such admirable characteristics!! I bet if we caught you "red handed", that would be RACISM, too.....??? "MAKE THE SWITCH", and become a viable part of society, and an asset, instead of an ongoing liability.. resulting in $$$$$ out the door.!.....DAMN!
    And even more of this:

Before you blame Bush for not responding after the fact you should blame the Mayor of New Orleans for not responding before the fact.

• I'm not a big fan of the guy, Guz. While I think most "liberals" go out of their way to find reasons to hate this guy (I mean think if Bush had responded perfectly with a flawless recovery plan, do you really think liberals would praise the effort? Absolutely not, some would still find something he did or said to gripe about), some criticism here is appropriate. The man just doesn't carry himself very well. I mean politicians are all full of shit, but at least sound convincing, ya know?

Peace out.

Lamar thank you for answering. I am about to go on a rant here, because you echo what drives me crazy about so many Bush supports. This is not being aimed at you.

It's convient how short the memory is of people who HATE liberals. To refresh their memory, after 9/11 support for Bush was well over 90% up around 97%. Support for the Afgan war likewise was over 90%. Yet they are so filled with HATE that they believe, that people who are upset about the handling of the current disaster are liberals who go out of their way to find reasons to hate this guy.

A president that has taken a balanced budget and turned it into a 7 trillion dollar deficit.

A president that just signed an order to allow Haliburton to under pay it's employees.

I guess he's ok with you guys as long as he isn't caught having sex with an intern. And if he does get caught it would still have to be proven that she really was an intern.

I respect your opinion Laser, but this is interesting, because it is the liberals, in my mind, who seem to be the most vicious and hate filled. Go figure.

It's really too bad, I mean each side has their faults and shit, but can't we all just work together?

The number one reason I can't take politics and politicians seriously: Rather than finding dirt on the other party all the time, how about, uh... I dunno, maybe... TRY TO FIND SOME FUCKING SOLUTIONS! Seems to me that should be the first priority of any party. It isn't. That ain't right.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "MAKE THE SWITCH", and become a viable part of society, and an asset, instead of an ongoing liability.. resulting in $$$$$ out the door.!.....DAMN!

Hasn't Michael Moore been saying this about big companies and thier government hand outs for years????

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The number one reason I can't take politics and politicians seriously: Rather than finding dirt on the other party all the time, how about, uh... I dunno, maybe... TRY TO FIND SOME FUCKING SOLUTIONS! Seems to me that should be the first priority of any party. It isn't. That ain't right.

I find it disheartening that the biggest disaster to ever strike this country has caused so much parisan bickering... but at the same time, I see the failings to protect against this happening and the disastrous follow-up as a culmination of the policies of this administration to date, all the crap is neatly bundled up in this one fiasco

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I'm not a republican. I consider myself to be a leftist, but I've never had much faith in the political process to begin with.

Poll from AOL news:

Do you think President Bush should be criticized for failings in Katrina relief efforts?
    No 50%
    Yes 50%

No 71%
    Yes 29%

I find the AOL messageboards to be treasure trove of right-wing narrowmindedness. I never post. I only observe to see how they're spinning things.

Good for you, Mrs. Bush. You said it right and you said it good. I think exactly the same way about your husband-----he cares about all Americans, regardless of race or creed. Not only that he is a fine Christian man.

Mary Lou in Michigan

It is not the blame of George Bush that a hurricane hit New Orleans, This is not about racism, who cares if you are black, white, hispanic or any other nationality, who cares if you were rich or poor, this was a strick by mother nature, not President Bush !!! There is no one to blame.

Lots of this:

am so sick of hearing about RACISM, I could throw up.... Living off the government, for generations, is reduculous.. DO something WITH and FOR yourself, GO TO SCHOOL, learn a trade, and do something for YOURSELVES....WHERE do you think 50 billion dollars is coming from?? "The Government".. TRANSULATED=TAXPAYERS MONEY, that THEY earned! .. Stop using "Im poor and black", as some ignorant excuse.. And to boot, LOOTING, murder, mayhem and rape?? ....Such admirable characteristics!! I bet if we caught you "red handed", that would be RACISM, too.....??? "MAKE THE SWITCH", and become a viable part of society, and an asset, instead of an ongoing liability.. resulting in $$$$$ out the door.!.....DAMN!

And even more of this:

Before you blame Bush for not responding after the fact you should blame the Mayor of New Orleans for not responding before the fact.

Redneck set in effect!!!!! Ignorance, I guess, really is bliss. I guess structural conditions in the U.S. have nothing to do with social stratification, huh?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I respect your opinion Laser, but this is interesting, because it is the liberals, in my mind, who seem to be the most vicious and hate filled. Go figure.

It's really too bad, I mean each side has their faults and shit, but can't we all just work together?

Aren't both parties equally as guilty of this? I'm mean really......which party wasted millions of dollars investigating a blow job??? Which party has spent the last few years beating on gay people when they should have been doing all the homeland defense stuff they said they were soo good at? Which party led the attack of another country based on a 25 year old grudge??????

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    [quoteWhat's left are more traditional conservatives, many of who, I think, are in conflict over what they've seen happen within the GOP over the last 10 years. I'm sure there's some catchy name for them but whatever: they favor old-fashioned conservative pillars: small government, less federal intervention, fiscal conservatism but social moderatism. They've been the ones who've largely been left out in the cold over the course of the Bush's reign and I think, would be the most comfortable with voicing objections to what they've seen. I don't think they'd go out of their way to vote Democrat though but they might be willing to back more indpenedent leadership (see McCain).
    They tend to call themselves RINOs (Republicans In Name Only), and their unofficial slogan is "Republican, But Without All the Crazy." The term was originally started by hardcore Bushites as a way to demean any Republican who dared not march lockstep with whatever it was Bush was pushing for, so the sensible Republicans co-opted it as a badge of honor to show that they still hold on to basic Republican concepts like the ones listed above even if Bush has abandoned some of those very same concepts.

• I respect your opinion Laser, but this is interesting, because it is the liberals, in my mind, who seem to be the most vicious and hate filled.[/b] Go figure.

Examples please...

• I'm not a republican. I consider myself to be a leftist, but I've never had much faith in the political process to begin with.

Poll from AOL news:

No 50%
    Yes 50%

No 71%
    Yes 29%

Mary Lou in Michigan

Lots of this:

And even more of this:

Redneck set in effect!!!!! Ignorance, I guess, really is bliss. I guess structural conditions in the U.S. have nothing to do with social stratification, huh?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak Good thing you replied first because I would've just said something real vulgar in response to that nonsense. That way of thinking breeds the future George Bushes in this world....

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Peace out.

The number one reason I can't take politics and politicians seriously: Rather than finding dirt on the other party all the time, how about, uh... I dunno, maybe... TRY TO FIND SOME FUCKING SOLUTIONS![/b] Seems to me that should be the first priority of any party. It isn't. That ain't right.

I see someone got the memo...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I find it disheartening that the biggest disaster to ever strike this country has caused so much parisan bickering... but at the same time, I see the failings to protect against this happening and the disastrous follow-up as a culmination of the policies of this administration to date, all the crap is neatly bundled up in this one fiasco

Cosign. But im so sick of the "Look! we were right!" type of grandstanding that the pundits try to spin out of pure tragedy.

I dont think this is a republican or democrat type thing. I could just as easily see john kerry fucking this whole situation up too. The real problem is that america is eating itself and doesnt give a shit about it.

I guarantee any super rich ass politician we put in the hot seat will be chilling in the hamptons on the phone with lobbyists while the rest of us drown in feces. Ive just no faith in the system anymore. Certainly not enough to ascribe myself to a political party.

With all that said, bush still sucks.

• Ive just no faith in the system anymore. Certainly not enough to ascribe myself to a political party.

B, that's the bottom line. The political system has failed not only myself but a whole lot of people in this country. There's that vibe that people have "The politicians don't care about us, so why should we vote?".....

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    am so sick of hearing about RACISM, I could throw up.... Living off the government, for generations, is reduculous.. DO something WITH and FOR yourself, GO TO SCHOOL, learn a trade, and do something for YOURSELVES....WHERE do you think 50 billion dollars is coming from?? "The Government".. TRANSULATD=TAXPAYERS MONEY, that THEY earned! .. Stop using "Im poor and black", as some ignorant excuse.. And to boot, LOOTING, murder, mayhem and rape?? ....Such admirable characteristics!! I bet if we caught you "red handed", that would be RACISM, too.....??? "MAKE THE SWITCH", and become a viable part of society, and an asset, instead of an ongoing liability.. resulting in $$$$$ out the door.!.....DAMN!

Oh, the irony.

This fucking guy can't even spell and he's talking about "GO TO SCHOOL".

Ha.

Black folks, I don't know how you deal with it.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Republican? Yeah, I would consider myself to be one. "Right wing Christian guy?" Yeah, one of those too. Bush supporter after this year? NOPE. Why? He screwed up one too many times for me. The war after 9/11 to me WAS justified, but where is OSAMA and why did we come back with SADDAM like he had something to do with it? Does anyone remember WHO actually attacked us anymore? Why is our military being spread out all over the place and yet when a disaster strikes and we have advance warnings we can't be proactive and only react after the fact?

The fact is this. The Christians in this nation got suckered. Took it hook, line, and sinker. IF anything, I hope this wakes people up the next time they vote. Someone saying they're Christian and someone doing what they're supposed to are two TOTALLY different things. "Let's gang up on the gays and lesbians!" God says to hate the sin, but to LOVE the sinner and the majority of us forgot to do that. The majority of Christians became "closet homophobes". They said, "Yeah, I have a gay/lesbian friend" and in the back of their mind thought "...but I'd NEVER invite him/her over to dinner at MY place." And I won't even get into abortion.

Anyways, I have a few questions for you guys. They aren't necessarily what I PERSONALLY think, but I've been fairly good throughout life to see both sides of the story. Guzzo, this was a good topic to start and I'm glad you did.

Is there such a thing as a "fair and blanced" (no Fox) news report? You can get two different stories from two different places that contradict each other. Which one do you believe and why? Is it the one you WANT to believe that you lean to?

Is the lack of response truly based on race? If NOLA was a bunch of white people living in trailer parks would their (government) response have been different?

Where was the govenor of LA in all of this? If you have 2-3 days to get people out, would you have done it? Why were all of those busses under water? Where was the evacuation plan? If the director of FEMA gets fired, should the Govenor of LA be fired as well?

There are two sides to every story, and the truth lies somewhere between.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

And even more of this:

At least that addresses an elected official, and has some weight. All that other stuff is pure I/ME/MINE BS.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Thanks a lot pacman, you're giving me hope... it REALLY bothers me the way Bush et al exploit spirituality to basically do whatever they want and have thus far gotten away with all of it... most of what they're actually doing and promoting is not very Christian at all... I hope there are a lot more folks like you out there, or else we may be screwed...

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Where was the govenor of LA in all of this? If you have 2-3 days to get people out, would you have done it? Why were all of those busses under water? Where was the evacuation plan? If the director of FEMA gets fired, should the Govenor of LA be fired as well?

Of course she bears some of the blame, but I'd say most of it lies here:

FEMA won't accept Amtrak's help in evacuations

FEMA turns away experienced firefighters

FEMA turns back Wal-Mart supply trucks containing thousands of bottles of water

FEMA prevents Coast Guard from delivering 10,000 gallons of diesel fuel

FEMA won't let Red Cross deliver food

FEMA bars morticians from entering New Orleans

FEMA blocks 500-boat flotilla from delivering food and medical aid

FEMA fails to utilize Navy ship with 600-bed hospital on board

FEMA to Chicago: Send just one truck

FEMA turns away generators

FEMA: "First Responders Urged Not To Respond"[/b]

And while they're at it, why don't they fire this guy too

"my penis is this small"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Pacman,

Is the lack of response an issue of racism? That's hard to say but what is very clear is that this population was uniquely denied the opportunity to evacuate earlier because of racism and because they were poor. The two things, in this case, are not easily separable: the fact that many in this population were black also was why they were also poor. You can't split that.

The problem with finger pointing is that it presumes there's any ONE party that's accountable and as far as I'm concerned EVERYONE looks bad in this: city, state AND the feds. So yeah, I'm glad Mike Brown is being demoted but frankly, the Mayor of N.O. and the Louisiana governor need to have some hard questions directed at them too. There's no way a meltdown like this could only be at one level. You got a failure of an entire system.

"Fair and balanced" news reporting is possible but it's not at Fox. I personally think NPR comes closest but I know many who would dismiss such a claim.

Oliver

Republican? Yeah, I would consider myself to be one. "Right wing Christian guy?" Yeah, one of those too. Bush supporter after this year? NOPE. Why? He screwed up one too many times for me. The war after 9/11 to me WAS justified, but where is OSAMA and why did we come back with SADDAM like he had something to do with it? Does anyone remember WHO actually attacked us anymore? Why is our military being spread out all over the place and yet when a disaster strikes and we have advance warnings we can't be proactive and only react after the fact?

The fact is this. The Christians in this nation got suckered. Took it hook, line, and sinker. IF anything, I hope this wakes people up the next time they vote. Someone saying they're Christian and someone doing what they're supposed to are two TOTALLY different things. "Let's gang up on the gays and lesbians!" God says to hate the sin, but to LOVE the sinner and the majority of us forgot to do that. The majority of Christians became "closet homophobes". They said, "Yeah, I have a gay/lesbian friend" and in the back of their mind thought "...but I'd NEVER invite him/her over to dinner at MY place." And I won't even get into abortion.

Anyways, I have a few questions for you guys. They aren't necessarily what I PERSONALLY think, but I've been fairly good throughout life to see both sides of the story. Guzzo, this was a good topic to start and I'm glad you did.

Is there such a thing as a "fair and blanced" (no Fox) news report? You can get two different stories from two different places that contradict each other. Which one do you believe and why? Is it the one you WANT to believe that you lean to?

Is the lack of response truly based on race? If NOLA was a bunch of white people living in trailer parks would their (government) response have been different?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Cosign. But im so sick of the "Look! we were right!" type of grandstanding that the pundits try to spin out of pure tragedy.

I dont think this is a republican or democrat type thing. I could just as easily see john kerry fucking this whole situation up too. The real problem is that america is eating itself and doesnt give a shit about it.

I guarantee any super rich ass politician we put in the hot seat will be chilling in the hamptons on the phone with lobbyists while the rest of us drown in feces. Ive just no faith in the system anymore. Certainly not enough to ascribe myself to a political party.

With all that said, bush still sucks.

Representative democracy in the U.S. is a rich man's delusion and a poor man's dream.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The difference with you (as far as I can tell, and we've both been here for a while) is that your agenda isn't to decide how I live my life. I think one thing that actually pushes christians away from the left is the use of terms such as "right wing religious wackos" and "Fundamentalist christian looneys" and so on. Even though its used to describe those that want to interfere in non-religious people's way of life, and not all christians, its still probably offensive to those that its not directed at. Hell, if I were christian I might even find it offensive.

As far as the republican thing goes... If the republican party were actually about those things listed above, I might actually be one, but it seems now that they are the exact opposite. All I know is I don't want some (as much as i hate this cliche) 'big brother' govt trying to control everything I do. And thats what I see republicans as.

So anyways, in a way I almost feel for you, because being a christian republican, you are automatically lumped together with some really vile people, when (from what I can tell) you are really just the average nice dude.

• Representative democracy in the U.S. is a rich man's delusion and a poor man's dream.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

GODDAM YOU ARE WELL SPOKEN!!

Representative democracy in the U.S. is a rich man's delusion and a poor man's dream.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

You're funny!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

AS IT CURRENTLY STANDS. TRUTH.

• Representative democracy in the U.S. is a rich man's delusion and a poor man's dream.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

You're funny!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh... so now I'm funny huh? THATS REVERSE RACISM!!!!