WHERE CAN I GET THE BEST PRICE FOR A MAC LAPTOP?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Where can I get THE BEST PRICE for a Apple POWERBOOK?Better places to get them than directly from the company?I AM READY, CASH IN HAND (keep me away from them Heatrocks.)

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    get a friend with a student id to buy it from the campus book store

don't get no cheaper unless it's on some back of the truck shit

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I got that shit, dude. But can I get one from a different spot than directly from Apple?

On some Circuit City shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    sorry, i edited my reply. the campus book stores usually have crazy deals depending on the campus. i think my girl who just graduated from nyu said they got some crazy hookup but dont hold me to that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Yeah I got that shit, dude. But can I get one from a different spot than directly from Apple?

Like Brian said get someone that goes to Uni/College to pick you up one from the school store. Friend of mine does it on the regular for people.

Either that or get one from someone in an alley.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well unfortunately, wifey's school only uses PC and so they don't have/support Mac.

Any other options? This money is burning a hole through my pocket something fierce.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

There are 3rd party sellers of Mac/Apple - but not large big box chain operations - independent, w/ 1 or 2 stores @ the very most; b/c of their lack of purchasin' power, you're likely not gonna get a great deal - best bet is as Brian suggested, by gettin' someone affiliated w/ a university (student, faculty, etc.) to hook up a campus deal for that...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shiit, i don't know beyond getting someone else to buy it for you or if you can still register for a class and get a student id that way. if not, the apple store is probably going to be one of the cheaper routes cos apple shit don't go on sale man.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Well unfortunately, wifey's school only uses PC and so they don't have/support Mac.

Any other options? This money is burning a hole through my pocket something fierce.

AI, the school doesn't have to have/support Macs to get in on the education deals. Example, the school I work at is a straight up-and-down IBM shop, and I can still get deals on Macs through Apple. Check this link for more info:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah but she just bought herself an IBM thinkpad about 15 minutes ago so I dunno if she can do it twice.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Yeah but she just bought herself an IBM thinkpad about 15 minutes ago so I dunno if she can do it twice.

The thing is, I KNOW that my school did not negotiate a deal with anyone at Apple to have my school listed on their site. Like I said, we're a full-on IBM campus; Apple is a dirty word around those parts. So it sounds like Apple are giving deals directly to students at schools, and without the cooperation of the schools listed . So I highly doubt that anyone's gonna be checking what your girl has been purchasing.

• yeh they usually give deals to most schools on hardware and software because students are usually early adopters.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

The thing is, I KNOW that my school did not negotiate a deal with anyone at Apple to have my school listed on their site. Like I said, we're a full-on IBM campus; Apple is a dirty word around those parts. So it sounds like Apple are giving deals directly to students at schools, and without the cooperation of the schools listed . So I highly doubt that anyone's gonna be checking what your girl has been purchasing.
    The book stores that have deals with Apple usually have significantly cheaper prices. I was pricing out a Powerbook a year back and it would have been $500 cheaper than retail with free Applecare through the bookstore

• Yeah but she just bought herself an IBM thinkpad about 15 minutes ago so I dunno if she can do it twice.

AI- If you and your girl go to the apple store and she shows a student id you will get the educational discount. I got a 15 powerbook a month ago and got $200 off with the educational discount. Plus a free ipod mini and $100 off of a $170 printer. Those cannon pixmas are legit. PM me if you want more info.

• If you register @ Apple.com with a school (anyone can do it - they don't check or require proof) you get 10% off most products (including laptops). Maybe you can get a better deal through the bookstore - not sure.

go here for the education store:
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah... but here's the deal: We just bought a G5 tower like 4 months ago at the Apple store and she used her discount, so I think that we can't use that again.

Hence me asking what my other options are.

My girl swears they sell Mac laptops at Best Buy and shit. I say no. Who's right?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    They sell 'em at COMPusa but I ain't ever seen em at BESTbuy. I use an educator's discount everytime I buy shit @ the Applestore. Something like 10-15% off shit. It doesn't seem to have any restrictions. I've bought a Powerbook g4 (shit is lovely with ProTools--no complaints), and like 4 iPODS (contributing to the digitization, but my family likes em). I haven't bought a second computer per se, but I think that shit works no matter how many times you buy. Any teacher can buy the it for you online.

gNAT

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Yeah... but here's the deal: We just bought a G5 tower like 4 months ago at the Apple store and she used her discount, so I think that we can't use that again.

Hence me asking what my other options are.

My girl swears they sell Mac laptops at Best Buy and shit. I say no. Who's right?

I'm sure you'll still be able to do it. My friend has bought atleast 3 or 4 laptops in the last year from the Uni I work at. They really don't care... And if you want, get someone else to just buy it for you.

And Mac at Best Buy = Yes

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=22156

Don't look at prices there tho... Those are Canadian...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

she is but in your defense they JUST started selling apple products other than the ipoo

and you can click my link, its NOT canadian, ???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Purchase Quantity
    Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    3. Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    6. iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod mini, iPod Shuffle 1GB, iPod Photo) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
    7. iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

You can pick up two 30" LCDs to go with that shit too!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Purchase Quantity

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

3. Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year

5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

6. iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod mini, iPod Shuffle 1GB, iPod Photo) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)

7. iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

You can pick up two 30" LCDs to go with that shit too!

this shit saves SO MUCH MONEY, my boss wanted to get a mac mini and a 21" LCD for the offices, and we used my discount and saved like 450 bones

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Now I got another question:

Would I seriously end up fucking myself if I got an iBook maxed out instead of a Powerbook maxed out?

All I want to do is run Serato.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Don't fuck around. POWERBOOK. The iMAC has a slower processor. And don't kid yourself. Eventually you'll load the iBook with all sorts of shit that you found while you're on the road and find that everything is a whole lot slower. Look to the future mayne...
    gNAT
    Besides, put that shit on plastic...you can get 12 month interest free financing with Apple. I did and paid it off within the year.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    iBook should run Serato fine, but you don't know if you will need the faster processor for something else later on.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    people need to realize. The powerbook is just a glorified ibook nowadays, there's not much difference between the two. The one major question mark is resolution/screen output. Do you want to hook your laptop to an external monitor? If so you need a powerbook since they have a more powerful graphics card. iBooks can only drive up to 1028x768.

the new 12" ibook (revised last month) is a great deal right now, plus you already have your g5 powermac for real power moves. Keep the portable light and handy.

let's do a quick comparison of the 12" models between ibook & powerbook

ibook

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache @1.33GHz

512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)

12.1-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550

32MB DDR video memory

40GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme

Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Scrolling Trackpad

Sudden Motion Sensor

vs

powerbook

12.1-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

1.5GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

60GB Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce FX

Go5200 (64MB DDR)

Full size keyboard

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

FireWire 400

Analog audio in/out

Mini-DVI out

No built in audio in/out for the ibook but the quality on that is for avg use anyway. You already have an m-box so that's not an issue at all. Save yourself $500 and get the ibook...........keep your mp3's on an external so you can share them between your laptop and desktop.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Now I got another question:

Would I seriously end up fucking myself if I got an iBook maxed out instead of a Powerbook maxed out?

All I want to do is run Serato.
    cosmo,

i got my powerbook used with applecare for $900.

i have a friend at parsons who can prolly get a pretty nice deal on a mac. get at me, and i'll ask her.