Vocoders and current music

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
ATTENTION all R&B singers and dancehall artists. Plaese to stop using vocoder effects on your vocals. You are NOT Roger Troutman and your shit sounds WACK!

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    ATTENTION all R&B singers and dancehall artists. Plaese to stop using vocoder effects on your vocals. You are NOT Roger Troutman Cher and your shit sounds WACK!

• i kinda like it on the akon/jeezy joint soul survivor, but in general i agree

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Roger Troutman

Does anyone know how he did his vox fx. Was it a talk box or vocoder into a harmonizer or what? Does anyone know specifics?

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

Does anyone know how he did his vox fx. Was it a talk box or vocoder into a harmonizer or what? Does anyone know specifics?

i'm not sure which is which but when i saw Zapp in concert he had a tube running into his mouth. if that even helps...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    That over pitch-matched effect is grating on my ears.

• i think you'll find its not a vocoder at all, but just Autotune running with zero Glissando and a high pitch correction. (AKA "the cher effect")

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/vocalmagic/vocal4.asp

but yes, it sucks big sweaty balls

• i think you'll find its not a vocoder at all, but just Autotune running with zero Glissando and a high pitch correction. (AKA "the cher effect")

T.O.K kill it on their tunes. that shit just adds an extra something to their hooks.

but truesteppers are some dudes. Johnny L been making killer drum and bass for years. their productions and engineering are so onpoint. Listen to them.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I call that the Canadian pop song effect! Lol.

T.O.K kill it on their tunes. that shit just adds an extra something to their hooks.

but truesteppers are some dudes. Johnny L been making killer drum and bass for years. their productions and engineering are so onpoint. Listen to them.

yousendit?

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    i think you'll find its not a vocoder at all, but just Autotune running with zero Glissando and a high pitch correction. (AKA "the cher effect")

When the track was released last summer it provoked quite a bit of criticism for over-processing Posh's vocal - producer Johnny L admitted that he "had to work the vocal quite a bit"

I think they used it more out of necessity then as a creative method, which is rather sad really, but it's true that he's made some incredible tracks - I recall this track with that dee-lite chick but I forgot the title...

• i'm pretty sure that he had a talkbox running through a minimoog...

on a side note.. dude and his brother were both killed in 1999. roger was died in the hospital after many shots to his body, and his brother larry was found dead in a car with a gunshot wound to the head..

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i saw them right before that sh*t happened. roger is so dude. he signed my zapp 1 and sat and talked w/ me for awhile. his brother (who shot him) was a total dick though. he was prolly pissed he wasn't getting any of that death row money or fame.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts