Darrell Banks Is Here! (well, not really)

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
How is this record? I never see it while busting real world moves, but I've always been curious *pause*

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    he is a Northern Soul legend...so my guess is that it is full of Mo-town styled double time steez..prolly not muchin the way of funkiness..but that is just a guess...glad I could be of no help.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    he is a Northern Soul legend...

I was just thinking - couldn't it be possible to be both a "Northern Soul Legend" & a "Southern Soul Legend" all at once?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    dude got killed by an offduty cop for making moves on his girl at a nightspot.

he has a really great voice, 'open the door to your heart' is just a magical performance(imho).

not funky tho.

not funky tho.

At this point, that is almost preferable to me. Who would you compare him to?

• I have this, its ok. I got it free in a collection, so I have no idea how much it runs. I like this one by Eddie Floyd alot more:

So if you see it out in the world, I'd cop.

I have this, its ok. I got it free in a collection, so I have no idea how much it runs. I like this one by Eddie Floyd alot more:

So if you see it out in the world, I'd cop.

yeah, that Eddie FLoyd is radd! I think the D. Banls "runs" a bit more $ (was under the impression it was a bit expensive)

• Really, anyone want mine then?

not funky tho.

At this point, that is almost preferable to me. Who would you compare him to?

he has sort of a lower range masculine soul sound - somewhat like Edwin Starr or Otis Redding I guess.

the db singles as issued out of detroit by revilot are not all that hard to turn up, the lp doesn't show up all that frequently tho.

banks' "i'm the one who really loves you" 45 on volt is also great.

Really, anyone want mine then?

haha! I'm not positive, but I think Jump Jump Dan has/had one on his site for like 70 bucks.

• Really, anyone want mine then?

Darrell Banks Is Here! is a great soul album, but there is nothing really funky about it. Reminds me a bit of James Carr at times. Both his albums are dope and listenable all the way through unlike most of these Funk albums which are strictly one-trackers. I think it goes for small loot - 75-$125 Minty fresh.

Personally, I love it.

fuk a braek

---

Reminds me a bit of James Carr at times.

radd! James Carr is dope!

• No, I like it, I'm just broke right now and it was the first thing that came to mind. It just didn't blow me away when I first heard it like the Eddie Floyd record above, for example. You're right about it being pretty consistent the whole way through though.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    lower range masculine soul

Is this usually next to the "medium range women's music" section?

lower range masculine soul

Is this usually next to the "medium range women's music" section?

I was hoping for an 'A-YO'...

---

• 'Our Love (Is In The Pocket)' on Revilot is how you say, unfuckwithable...

'Our Love (Is In The Pocket)' on Revilot is how you say, unfuckwithable...

i think the jj barnes version fucks with it.

---

BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I picked up a "Darrell Banks Is Here!" for 30 us on ebay in nice shape about 6 months ago. Great album.

Here's my favorite DB track:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=29LWFLY4YVULF1I9CQKP2TLI4F

Peace

h

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

How is this record? I never see it while busting real world moves, but I've always been curious *pause*

This is good Detroit soul. More ballads and midtempo. I don't really hear James Carr. I hate to compare him to another singer but more of a Jerry Butler. I have had it, it always sells fast.

Dan

---

You and everyone in England. I still like Darrell.

---

a stopped clock is still right twice a day...

raer = better

---

---

raer = better

---

raer=raer

Hi,

I picked up a "Darrell Banks Is Here!" for 30 us on ebay in nice shape about 6 months ago. Great album.

Here's my favorite DB track:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=29LWFLY4YVULF1I9CQKP2TLI4F

Peace

h

that is dope! Thanks! Is that track on the album in question?

---

raer = better

---

raer=raer

look deep into your soul, you know I'm right...

---

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    When will you people stop looking at black music in terms of "funkiness"? Goddam, not everybody was influenced by James Brown!

That said, both of his albums were consistently good. DARRELL BANKS IS HERE! is from '67 and is reminiscent of several of the Detroit soul singers of the time (Steve Mancha, pre-Motown Edwin Starr, etc.). His 1969 Volt album (I forget the title) is produced by Don Davis (I THINK, and kinda sounds like Johnnie Taylor's stuff from the same era, only not as bluesy. Both recommended, and both reissued on CD if you want it bad enuff.

• When will you people stop looking at black music in terms of "funkiness"? Goddam, not everybody was influenced by James Brown!

That said, both of his albums were consistently good. DARRELL BANKS IS HERE! is from '67 and is reminiscent of several of the Detroit soul singers of the time (Steve Mancha, pre-Motown Edwin Starr, etc.). His 1969 Volt album (I forget the title) is produced by Don Davis (I THINK, and kinda sounds like Johnnie Taylor's stuff from the same era, only not as bluesy. Both recommended, and both reissued on CD if you want it bad enuff.

Disn't Stax or Volt issue a split LP between Banks and Mancha??

When will you people stop looking at black music in terms of "funkiness"? Goddam, not everybody was influenced by James Brown!

jj barnes / mancha = "raer stamps"

• How is this record? I never see it while busting real world moves, but I've always been curious *pause*

This is good Detroit soul. More ballads and midtempo. I don't really hear James Carr. I hate to compare him to another singer but more of a Jerry Butler. I have had it, it always sells fast.

Dan

Your right. It really doesn't sound like James Carr now that I think of it.

Still a good album in my opinion.

• When will you people stop looking at black music in terms of "funkiness"? Goddam, not everybody was influenced by James Brown!

jj barnes / mancha = "raer stamps"

Ahahhh! That bastard Barnes stealing Darrell's thunder again!