New VU doc, thoughts

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited November 2021 in Strut Central
I've been watching this on repeat. I wish there would ever be a Stooges doc made with this amount of depth and style

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    seriously

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    For real

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I thought it was pretty well done. Being black and from Las Vegas, The Velvet Underground always felt like important to Rock and New York culture, but musically not very interesting. After watching the documentary I understand how they were basically the house band representing the "art scene" curated by Andy Warhol. He was a clever guy, and putting a model in the band was a very good mood for them. John Cale was always holding it down for the Avant Garde, and he seems to represent the complex noise scene. It almost doesn't make sense to me why he wanted to be in a pop band. 

At the end of the documentary they show who all of the people they interviewed were and how they were closely involved with the band and that art movement. To me it feels like a footnote to a much bigger and more interesting documentary that still needs to be made about The Factory, and the art scene of 60's New York City. Would love to here more about Basquiat, Bowie, Yoko, Kusama, Keith Haring, the Graffiti movement.  

- spidey

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Great doc.  Very immersive and nice hearing from the people who were there. 

I love pretty much anything Todd Haynes directs, so not surprising that it's special like that. He's been making music-focus flicks since day one, so a Stooges doc is not beyond the realm!  

SPlDEY said:
    It almost doesn't make sense to me why he wanted to be in a pop band. 

- spidey

a doc on the wider scene would be great too (i'm sure there's some good ones out there), but i think they were all pretty interested in doing something radically different. like many of us, i'm sure, lou reed was a free jazz dj in college.