Austin Record Convention

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
Anyone going to the Austin Record Convention next month?

https://austinrecords.com/

Comments

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I'm gonna be out there cold hard cash burning a hole in my pocket. 
    billbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'll be hosting a record swap again at my place the Thursday before the convention starts. Dealers from all over usually stop by with boxes of raers to sell. If you are in town that evening and want to join let me know. 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I'll be hosting a record swap again at my place the Thursday before the convention starts. Dealers from all over usually stop by with boxes of raers to sell. If you are in town that evening and want to join let me know. 

Why not, YNOT?

(Sorry, the dad in me couldn't resist.)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    OG SoulStrutter HARVEYCANAL sent me a message this morning and said he'll be coming over with a box of records.
    ketanJimster

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

Nice, yes I'll be around. Want to check it out, can you PM details? Thanks

PM'd 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    OG SoulStrutter HARVEYCANAL sent me a message this morning and said he'll be coming over with a box of records.

Say Hi to Harv.  Dude was/is his own dude and I enjoyed his poasts however mental he was/is.

billbradley

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I would be there if someone wants to buy me a plane ticket and finance an Air BnB near the venue.

billbradley

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Jimster said:

Say Hi to Harv.  Dude was/is his own dude and I enjoyed his poasts however mental he was/is.

That dude took a lot of heat but never backed down. 

ketan

The Austin Record Convention weekend was great. Good hanging out with @YNOT, @GenePontecorvo 
    and @HarveyCanal and others. HarveyCanal brought a nice crate of funk,soul, and breaks etc. I probably should have grabbed more of those while I could. Once people started showing up to the house I got distracted only traded for one of them. I'll post up my finds later.

Pre-ARC swap

@canonical brought an amazing pastry from Montreal to share called Kouing Amann (prodounced Queen A-Mahn).

A few walls at the show. I didn't take many photos this time.

@GenePontecorvo brought me an Ice Cube sticker as gift

My ARC finds

EKO is some raer latin disco funk. The instrumental of "Love Can Be Happy" is killer.

Roy Ayer's He's Coming has been on my wants list forever. Copies never turn up in Austin (except at the Record Convention). Up until now I'd never actually seen a copy in person. The cover has some wear but the vinyl is minty. Happy to finally file a copy.

This is another that has been on my wants list for a while. I've found copies before but they were all beat to shit. This one is still in the original shrinkwrap and the vinyl is super clean.

Jane Terry is kinda meh. I skimmed through it and it's ok but not great. Chaz on the same label is 100x better.

United As One is some Dallas Random Rap and Modern Soul.

Rodney (not to be confused with Rodney O) is a rare Albuquerque boogie 12" that I picked up from Slow Low Records. They had found it on the way to ARC. I'll have to mint up on it eventually.

Still sealed Chuck Strong.

Earlier this week I was outbid on a copy of this rare boogie mini LP on ebay. Ended up getting this copy for cheaper than what I had bid. Score! 

Mikki is some top notch boogie and it doesn't sell for crazy money.

Light Of The World - Time is a UK Boogie Banger.

Dr. York is a private press low fi modern soul gem. 

Found the Bohannon LP above... figured I'd grab a copy of the single also. Wish it were cleaner though.

Decent Funk 45

Gospel soul cheapie.

Beatiful DC soul record. The copy I had was VG at best so I minted up.

Rock funk breaks.

Fonk 45.

good 4 on the floor disco 45.

OK disco 45. The 12" goes for 5x what the 7" does.
    OK gospel soul. Has a couple decent moments but kind of falls off towards the end for me.

ketanElectrode

The Sean McLeod - Drive Me Crazy is a kind of off-the-radar rock 45 with breaks. It's not listed on Discogs but has been selling on eBay some.