The LA express belt buckle

dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
I don’t know why but I suddenly wondered what happened to the Tom scott belt buckle that the girl is wearing on the cover. You know the one. 
So I started googling it because why not. 
Turns out on Etsy somebody else was selling the other LA express belt buckle:

This is screen shot because I couldn’t find the original on Etsy although now I’m wondering how much it went for. I refuse to download Pinterest so I don’t know what the rest of it said. 

Now I wonder who bought the belt buckle. 

How much would you spend on the Tom scott belt buckle if it was the same on on the cover of the record? I think I would spend twenty dollars. It would be a mildly interesting conversation item. 

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'd pay more than 20 but no more than 50 maybe for one that looked like the buckle on the cover. Mostly because I don't think I'd wear it much and I don't know how many people that aren't into records would have any idea what it's from. 

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I'd do the Train buckle, but not this one.  The train one because it reminds me of the Brian Auger covers.

I can see G*ry sitting in a wicker Peacock chair, wearing a Heatwave jumper and rocking the buckle.  I would imagine some iconic jeans (Springsteen BITUSA?) or other trouserware to be in order.  Perhaps Mike Clark's shirt off the back of "Thrust".  Bootsy hat and Gene Simmons boots to complete the look.

If he's leaving the club alone in that outfit, then I don't want to be in that club.
    dizzybullDuderonomy

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I can turn your dreams into reality. Just need that buckle. 

There are a few LA Express records but I guess I haven't ever paid attention to the fact that there was another LP with that other belt buckle on it.

I didn’t either until yesterday. 

That is where this journey takes you. 
    billbradley

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    I didn’t either until yesterday. 

Ditto

Dumbass-me was about to say that the Buckle on eBay doesn’t look anything like the Tom Scott one. 

dizzybull

ketanbillbradleyElectrodeJimster

I was thinking about this again the other day and what a genius album cover it is.  The photographer was a guy named Jim McCrary and if you look him up on 'scogs the number of album covers he photographed is astonishing:
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/2170896

Anyways, they had this young and presumably pretty model, and then they got this belt buckle, and I imagine they went back and forth on how to pose the model but still make sure you can see the belt buckle and then somebody had the idea of zooming in, and just getting that sexy hip curve, and then they all high five and get ready to take the shot - but wait a second.  Old Jim notices a bit of camel toe happening in the model's jeans.  He pauses and wonders to himself "do I say something? is that creepy?  Am I allowed to say Camel Toe? Is it worse if I photograph it and don't say anything at all?  Will she be mad??"

Well old Jim took the picture without saying anything.  The album comes out. Camel Toes prove surprisingly popular and the album sells well. The model - we don't know her name - takes one look at the album cover and is shocked and furious.  Not only can you not see her face, but they appear to have zoomed in on her camel toe instead.  Why didn't anyone tell her??? This was supposed to be her big break! She was supposed to be the next Whipped Cream And Other Delights Girl!! She calls her agent immediately and demands that her name not be associated with it.  And that is why she is not credited. She is now a chain smoker in a truck stop in Idaho. She wears sweatpants. Exclusively.

I just made all of that up, but it all adds up so i'm just gonna say it is true.

I'll stand by for Mr. Scott himself to arrive.
    billbradleyketanklezmer electro-thug beatsJimster

They probably only made one and she's now wearing it at the truck stop.
    ketandizzybull

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    A good metalsmith could easily reproduce it. Found this.
    https://metalsomeart.com/products/black-smith-belt-buckle

• Hi there! I have that belt buckle. I worked for a mid-sized record store chain, Record Bar. There would be all types of record label promotional items and the LA Express belt buckle was one of them I picked up. I was just googling the belt buckle to see if it had any value or existed beyond my house. Looks like it did! 
    billbradleyketandizzybullklezmer electro-thug beatsppadilhaElectrodeYemsky

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Now go on Instagram and offer it to Tom. 

Yemsky said:
    Now go on Instagram and offer it to Tom. 

That’s the wrong one though! Gots to have that train!