Horror Movies (Halloween -R)

dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
Put me up on something I may have slept on. Sometimes I feel like I've seen it all, and now that I'm older horror movies aren't doing it for me as much anymore.  And found footage or jump scare movies are out.  Just yesterday I watched Society from 1989 and it was.... I don't want to call it a hidden gem because apparently people know about it but I had never heard of it somehow.  A reviewer said to watch it knowing as little as possible. So I did, and I'm glad. I'm not sure how to suggest it without giving it away.

Another little gem is the low budget "I am a Ghost".  A ghost story told from the point of view of a ghost, and the seance-lady (whatever those are called) who is trying to help her move on.  It is low budget, and the victorian ghost looks like she may be half asian in victorian era america, but damn if it didn't have me on edge when i watched it.  Really well done.

What do you got that I should see?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'm out of the loop when it comes to obscure horror movies. The one that scared me the most when I was a kid was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre though. I was probably in the 4th grade when my older cousins turned off all the lights and showed me that one. We sat around the glow of the TV in the dark watching it one night. 

• If you feel like you've seen it all, I'm not likely to know many you haven't seen, horror's kind of a gap in my knowledge, but in case you missed this one:
    One Cut of the Dead - Japanese movie that starts with a zombie one-take film, then deconstructs it super cleverly.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    Society from 1989

Reminds me of a high school buddy who was a big fan of "Re-Animator" and anything influenced by Lovecraft. He introduced me to "From Beyond" ('86) and "Dagon" ('01), both which were genuinely scary. I would recommend them based on the Yunza/Gordon connection if you liked "Society". 

I don't know if you've seen it, but "Wishmaster" was one of the few decent, moderately budgeted 90s horror films which delivered the fright and the gore, but without the wink-and-nod camp (although Robert Englund, Kane Hodder and Tony Todd were purposely cast to play hapless victims). 

I enjoy 70s Italian giallo. As a rule, if the cryptic title includes the name of an animal or insect, it's worth watching. That said, I never understood why people classify them as "horror", graphic violence aside. Most are whodunnit police procedurals at their core. "Horror" to me implies supernatural/demonic elements. 

Speaking of which, I'll throw out "Xtro", "Dead And Buried" and "City Of The Living Dead". As far as Asian horror goes, "The Boxer's Omen" is a must-see with scenes which will stick with you.

Gibbodizzybull

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    If you feel like you've seen it all, I'm not likely to know many you haven't seen, horror's kind of a gap in my knowledge, but in case you missed this one:
    One Cut of the Dead - Japanese movie that starts with a zombie one-take film, then deconstructs it super cleverly.

I actually watched the ending of this in a bar in Tokyo.  I don't remember which bar but they had it playing in the background and somebody explained the one-take gimmick to me. I always meant to go back and watch it.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I would explore the Japanese and Korean stuff, in case you haven't delved into that. Kiyoshi Kurosawa and Takashi Miike are both pretty prolific, and I've only seen a handful of their films - the ones I remember are Audition and I think Gozu. They're usually pretty bonkers.

And I would also recommend Bacurau if you want something recent. It's got a nice John Carpenter vibe to it, and it's pretty fun/crazy.