current tv strut

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
Any current TV favorites from the present or past?

Recently, I've enjoyed the following:

I May Destroy You (super well-written British series about consent)
Castle Rock (Stephen King horror/mystery vibes)
I'll Be Gone In The Dark (doc on hunt for the Golden State Killer)
Legendary (voguing competition on HBO max)

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    yeah, i may destroy you is brilliant.  hard to compare it to anything else, for me.  and the music selections are on point.  when that Sweet Female Attitude came on in the clurb scene, i kinda lost it.

i'm actually liking the new unsolved mysteries!  well, like is a strong word since they're all really sad.  

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    started watching Connected on Netflix last night, it's a fun science show from people who work on Radiolab. Good for geeking out.

Speaking of geeks, tried watching Halt and Catch Fire but didn't make it very far. Wasn't feeling the whole "we're making a show about computer engineers but the execs told us we need a Don Draper knock-off in there too" thing they were trying to do.

• Some I’ve enjoyed recently:

DEVS
    Legion
    Tales From The Loop
    Dave

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    started watching Connected on Netflix last night, it's a fun science show from people who work on Radiolab. Good for geeking out.

Speaking of geeks, tried watching Halt and Catch Fire but didn't make it very far. Wasn't feeling the whole "we're making a show about computer engineers but the execs told us we need a Don Draper knock-off in there too" thing they were trying to do.

Connected sounds like it's right up my alley, thanks for the recommendation.

I watched Halt and Catch Fire through the end.  The show shifts somewhat after the first season, away from Mad Men with computers featuring Lee Pace as Joe "Don Draper" MacMillan.  He's still one of the main characters, but they focus a bit more on what the other characters are up to. I enjoyed the show, it's not on any of my top 10 lists.  My biggest beef with the show is that they filmed the show in Atlanta which does a pretty poor job of standing in for the Bay Area, where seasons 3 and 4 are set.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Some I’ve enjoyed recently:

DEVS
    Legion
    Tales From The Loop
    Dave

Based upon this list, you might want to give Lodge 49 a try. It was on AMC, I'm not sure where it might be streaming now.

I liked DEVS a lot. I'd say the only negative was that I had unreasonable expectations for it--that trailer got me very excited. 

Otis_Funkmeyer

• Some I’ve enjoyed recently:

DEVS
    Legion
    Tales From The Loop
    Dave

Based upon this list, you might want to give Lodge 49 a try. It was on AMC, I'm not sure where it might be streaming now.

I liked DEVS a lot. I'd say the only negative was that I had unreasonable expectations for it--that trailer got me very excited. 

Cool I’ll check out Lodge 49. Yeah I loved DEVS. IT was well done and thought-provoking. Now I’m starting “Dark”, which was also highly recommended to DEVS fans. 

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I finished Dark which was pretty good. I also enjoyed Into the Night, which going into I thought was going to be below average but I came out of it a little bit enthralled and hoping for a second season.

A couple of other guilty pleasures during Covid I didn't give up on at some point during watching... Bosch, Derry Girls, Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. A couple of docs including The Pharmacist, McMillions and The Last Dance.

Otis_Funkmeyer

Midnight Diner is pretty good

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Apple released a new show today that should be average at best, but I found it to be pretty great. Only 3 episodes so far, but I'm a big fan of Ted Lasso now. Not usually a fan of lighthearted/wholesome shows and yet here I am...

I signed up for the NBC streaming thing in the hopes of being able to catch some Premiership games (I didn't), but looking through their free shit I ended watching the first 2 episodes of their Brave New World series. I was surprised at how good it is, at least the first two eps - the rest I'd have to pay to be able to watch and I'm not sure I want to do that. I have only vague memories of the book, and have been meaning to read it again for a while, maybe I'll do that soon.
    Duderonomy