Durand Jones & The Indications

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited December 2019 in Music Talk
Just got turned on to this tasty gem by my buddy Steve's (Dj Otisfunkmeyer) Spotify playlist:

Durand Jones & The Indications - Cruisin' to the Park 

This seems to me discussion worthy. Your thoughts?

- spidey
ketanOtis_Funkmeyer
TAGGED:

Comments

• As someone who regularly checks on Colemine records I've been into these dudes for a while! I like the lowrider soul and homage video (and judging from the video's Chicano-heavy comment section the homage has not gone unnoticed). There seems to be a mini-revival of these sort of firme rola type groups, along with Thee Sinseers and Thee Lakesiders and others. It also doesn't seem to be falling on deaf ears - lots of Chicano support, which isn't always the case with such throwback music genres reaching the audiences who carried them in the past.

Re Durand Jones, while I like that track I prefer their other falsetto drummer-led performance:

Which to me is a pretty much perfectly performed, shot and recorded live performance. I feel bad leaving Durand out of his own band's thread though because he's a great singer himself!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    There seems to be a mini-revival of these sort of firme rola type groups, along with Thee Sinseers and Thee Lakesiders and others.

I don't know if that Pirate Funk ever really caught on. 

- Dieg

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    There seems to be a mini-revival of these sort of firme rola type groups, along with Thee Sinseers and Thee Lakesiders and others.

I don't know if that Pirate Funk ever really caught on. 

- Dieg

Lakeside could pull anything off