current film strut

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,058 PostsSuper OG
What have you seen of late that has your sox knoc'd?

What's good in Hollywud?

Comments

• klezmer electro-thug beatsklezmer electro-thug beats 226 PostsReal Head
    Dunno about hollywood but like some kind of premature greyhair weekday 2pm moviegoer I joined my fellow visibly decaying octogenarians for their usual slow-paced foreign movie matinee the other week and saw Toni Erdmann, the nearly 3-hour father-daughter German comedy (yeah, hard sell).

Really enjoyed it, think it had some serious shit to say about maintaining a connection not only to your family, but to humanity in general, especially when you're in a job that removes it from you - which seems to be the case for more and more jobs these days. But it was still funny, in a "the Office" kind of way. I wasn't rolling but it kept me onboard for the whole duration, which is an achievement I think.

Watched the first 3 hour chunk of Made in America on BBC, started the second, gave up on the gruesome murder shit. I remember that stuff too well from the first time around, but the first part with the background of his career, how he treated his success as an escape from responsibilities to the community he grew up in, how his attitude seemed to be that he could get away with anything, and putting all that in the historical context of what was happening with civil rights, black athletes taking political stands, and the LAPD, all that stuff was great and newer to me as I was too young to know all the background when the trial went down.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 6,637 PostsClassic
    I enjoyed Logan, if only for the novelty of blood and gore: I was slightly aware that I was enjoying that a bit too much  At fucking last!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,691 PostsSuper OG
    I've seen plenty of flicks as of late, but very few I really enjoyed.

A few that come to the top of my mind.

Moonlight. Sing Street. The Nice Guys. Kubo and the Two Strings.

I'm looking to check out Logan. T2 Trainspotting. Dunkirk.

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 25 Posts
    Get Out was fantastic. Highly recommend!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,058 PostsSuper OG
    Yeah, I heard Get Out and Logan were good. 

I did see Toni Erdmann and it was silly af.  The first hour drags a bit, but loved it in the end. 

• Just hit up Mubi for a French double feature at home last night - Cléo from 5 to 7, Agnes Varda's ultra classic new wave, and the only new wave film I've seen where a female character seems to be more than an object; and Le Parc, a weird recent film of a teenage date in a park that turns to nighttime and basically all dialogue stops about halfway through and things get weirder and weirder when darkness falls. Definitely a mood piece that will try your patience if you're not ready for that kind of thing, but I really liked it and busted out laughing at one part way harder than if the rest of the film hadn't been so meditative and withdrawn.

I dunno if Mubi's selection is the same worldwide, I imagine so, but compared to Netflix etc.