One off record pressing thred.

Yo I just realized that you can get any song pressed on a record (in England where it is legal) for like $25. 

I'm thinking about getting some 45s of records that aren't available on 45. I might get a some 45s made of records that I can't afford too. 

Any one tried it? I'm talking lathe cut not acitate. 
Apparently there are different materials, cutters etc. 
Hows the quality? Any recommendations?
What cutting company, what technology?

And I'm really not knowing about CDs (for source WAVs). 
Do different CD releases have different quality files?

For example I want to get a 45 made of "west coast poplock" and it seems to be only available on the grand theft auto soundtrack and on compilations. 
Should I be wary of those files?

Also are there any places to buy lossless files of old school songs online? Please to educate. 

Thanks y'all I'll let you know how it goes. 

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Regarding CD's the issue is that the mastering is different to what you can use for vinyl. In fact, there's a strong likelihood that most modern releases are way too loud and will clip and bleed between grooves or skip from loud bass. Someone I know, that's pressed these in the past and that has several vinyl releases going back to the early 90's, said that he cuts off part of the low end and makes the remaining low end at a certain frequency range mono or something to that effect.
    I've been looking to do this with some of my edits. Any of you guys know how to go about mastering for vinyl?
    Edit: I just re-checked Carvery prices and they're significantly better than I recalled.

ost said:
    Regarding CD's the issue is that the mastering is different to what you can use for vinyl. In fact, there's a strong likelihood that most modern releases are way too loud and will clip and bleed between grooves or skip from loud bass. Someone I know, that's pressed these in the past and that has several vinyl releases going back to the early 90's, said that he cuts off part of the low end and makes the remaining low end at a certain frequency range mono or something to that effect.
    I've been looking to do this with some of my edits. Any of you guys know how to go about mastering for vinyl?
    Edit: I just re-checked Carvery prices and they're significantly better than I recalled.
    Yeah, Carvery offers mastering as well (IIRC)

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Yeah some of them include "basic mastering" which I'd hope would cover the gain and making the bass mono (?). 

So As far as sound quality...
    I guess that there are at least 3 levels of quality as far as lathes (?). 
    1. Old school mono lathe - sorta low fi
    2. Newer units (vinylpress, Kingston) that are stereo and claim to be better/best. 
    3. I see mention that a "professional stereo lathe" is superior but that they are likely busy cutting laquers. I don't see any one-off services offering this. 

Anyone confirm that I'm right about that?
    There are a bunch of one off record cutters these days but they all seem to have different lathes/tech/etc. 

The more I look into this the more confused I get. 

Man I wanna figure this out and hopefully confirm that one of these companies can make Dj worthy pressings so I can give them all of my money. 

Carverycuts does say they cut loud dub and drum and bass tracks so that sounds like they can do good enough quality for Dj use. 

deezlee said:
    Carverycuts does say they cut loud dub and drum and bass tracks so that sounds like they can do good enough quality for Dj use. 
    Nice. I don't know anyone who has personally worked with them, but they've been at it for a while (for what that's worth).

If you do use them, please let me know how it goes. I've been on the fence about pressing up a few edits I cooked up a while ago.

Ok Imona give it a test with "west coast pop locking". 
    Any idea where I'd get a definitive version?
    im just finding it on a video game soundtrack and other schetchy compilations.