you ever walking down the street in a bad mood...

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited April 2016 in Strut Central
...and see a baby and think "Man, that is one dumb, ugly baby" and part of you is like "Not the baby, man, you're just in a bad mood" but the other part of you is like "Maybe I wouldn't be in such a bad mood of that baby wasn't so dumb and ugly" and you're like "Touche."

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I've been in really super good moods when even ugly people seem beautiful. Those are rare though.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    The only baby that's not dumb and ugly is YOUR baby.  YOUR baby is beautiful and awakening to experience and reality each day a ltitle more.  Everyone else's baby is dumb and ugly.

So, no, I don't think you were just in a bad mood.  And yes, "Touche".

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    When my son was baptized, the priest who did the ceremony was an old Philippine guy, and he wanted to meet and talk with us (or rather, at us) at length prior to the ceremony.

At one point, after he'd been talking for about ten minutes, he pointed at my son and said "Is boy? No, is girl?". 

After the boy's gender was confirmed, the priest said "Ohhhh, yes, OK... but he is very good-looking!"

Not knowing what else to say, my wife thanked him, and then he went on... "yes, yes... because, you know, some babies are very ugly".

I don't remember what was said after that, because that one sentence kept repeating itself in my head and it took a great deal of focus to not laugh.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My kids are 9 and 12.  I'm waaaay past the baby phase!  I don't find them cute.  They annoy me.  The best stage is 7-9 age range.  Now they've grown up and talk back to me.  Little shits!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    13 and 6.  The big one is bigger than me.  Shaving and all that.  He has more banter and backchat than a Vaudeville hustler but he's a good kid and knows right from wrong.

The other one?  SUPERVILLAIN.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I have a girl on the way. Babies freak me out and small kids annoy the shit out of me. We'll see if my opinion changes!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    Mine are 4 and 2.  The elder girl is starting to talk back and every time it's like "whoa" for my wife and I.  The younger girl is learning to be real crafty from seeing her sister run the gauntlet.  Both of them are cute as hell, which makes up for all of their machinations.

• ketan said:
    The only baby that's not dumb and ugly is YOUR baby.  YOUR baby is beautiful and awakening to experience and reality each day a ltitle more.  Everyone else's baby is dumb and ugly.

So, no, I don't think you were just in a bad mood.  And yes, "Touche".
    I totally agree with this. For me, my child is like THE BEST LOOKING BABY IN THE WORLD. Other children I can't stand to look at for more than 30 seconds. Unless it's like a really fat baby, THEN I have to stare for a bit. 

Does this make me a bad person? #contemplating

• I'm pretty sure if I had a kid, I would likely think it is ugly deep down and just not verbalize that thought to anybody. Babies are like bullshit versions of normal people that can't do anything, and mostly they are ugly. A necessary but thankfully temporary phase in the cycle of human life. At least with them the better stuff is still to come, like being able to have a conversation or play "Street Fighter"

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    They all looked like plucked birds. I have a hard time referring to them as anything but it for the first few months, because they are so odd. It's not even on purpose (and I have learned people find it really offensive) but until they have some semblance of a personality, it's really hard to view them as a fellow species member. I mean they can't even *see* clearly for the first few weeks.
    Unless they come ready-made with a head of hair and/or have that look some babies have that you can tell they will look exactly the same at 5, 15, and 75 - they are just not attractive or interesting to look at. They become lovable and kin because it's that caveperson thing of extending one's tribe, but cute...not so much.
    I love them from 1 to 5 and really have nothing to say to them or any patience for their defiant or wacky ways until they are about 13. Then they get really interesting in a you-are-amazing-but-I-want-to-throttle-you-and-then-hug-you kind of way.