Selling rare Rock and Beat original pressings

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
My girlfriend's dad is trying to sell his collection. He asked me to sell some 1000 LPs and 12"s via eBay, but I said no. Don't have the time and patience for serious eBay selling and messing around with real collectors! I don't know what they are looking for!!!

So I went to one of the biggest and best stores in Southern Germany and the owner actually made it out to the small town where my girlfriend's dad lives. He was pleased, cause there are some original Rolling Stones LPs and some other Rock original first pressings: Black Sabbath, The Stooges, etc. In MINT condition.
The records are being sold for at least 250 Euros (325 US Dollars) at his store. He offered 2000 Euros for about 4000 - 5000 LPs and singles. His co-worker tried to offer 1500 Euros, but the owner said the collection is worth 2000!

Strange thing is, he said that he is interested in the collection ("at least 200 LPs would sell immediately"). But offering 2000 Euros is dull! He'd earn AT LEAST 5000 Euros by selling to his regular ustomers.

What am I supposed to do? Sell the originals on eBay? Do I get the same money that old time collectors spend in stores? Should we put ads in newspapers? How can we get more than 2000 Euros without messing with eBay? Record fairs aren't worh a try these days. Not for Stones originals or stuff like The Stooges! We'Re clueless! But I guess it's all about eBay, right?

I'd appreciate any help!

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    It's all about eBay.

In my opinion, stores never pay premium for original pressings, etc. They are in the business of making money.

Your best bet it so ebay the mono, first pressings, and raers. The rest can be sold to a shop or other collectors. You might think about auctioning the whole collection on ebay if you have generated a lot of interest and can guarantee bids, but otherwise piece it out.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    why don't you just sell the bigger stuff on eBay, and then just take what you can get for the rest at a shop.

why don't you just sell the bigger stuff on eBay, and then just take what you can get for the rest at a shop.

yah, what jeff said

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

yah, what jeff said
    you guys need to get your fucking stories straight.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

It's a lot of work. I'd say that there are 500 records that would get some attention. And I'm not sure if Stones collectors buy records on eBay with confidence. I don't even know what is important to Stones fetishists. The catalogue number? The picture covers? German pressings? The owner said that posters are very important to collectors. My girls dad remembers putting original posters from some LPs in a box at his basement. But he doesn't know what condition they are in. Do you get money for ripped posters?

eBay is hard work. Taking all those pictures, writing down numbers and making real condition descriptions. Dealing with payments...

We decided to sell the records directly. My girls dad does not know how to sell on eBay.

When selling the whole collection via eBay, do international bidder buy? The shipping costs would be IMMENSE!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    works suprisingly well. My girlfriend bought a collection of 3-400 45's for $30 bucks. I wasn't even with her, she just bought it cause there were a lot of JB's. It was an awful lot of crap & beat up stuff + no real "gems". but still, I auctioned off about 30 + a few lots & made alnost 500 bucks. Still had at least 200 45s left which I took to a shop for 100 dollars credit. Not bad for the $30 "investment".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    email marcofunk.

Rock collectors do buy records on eBay with confidence.

Saying, do it direct but it might take you longer and you will not make as much, guaranteed. But if time and "the hassle of eBay" is a major issue, so be it.

Maybe there are like-minded, deep-pocketed local collectors who can be down though? Ask around.

Not bad for the $30 "investment".

YOU TELL 'EM CRINK!!!
    THAAS RIIIIGHT!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Rock collectors do buy records on eBay with confidence.

Saying, do it direct but it might take you longer and you will not make as much, guaranteed. But if time and "the hassle of eBay" is a major issue, so be it.

Maybe there are like-minded, deep-pocketed local collectors who can be down though? Ask around.

Ask who? Newspaper ads? Store owners? Would they tell you?

Just hang around the store and see who drops loot. Try an ad but you'll have to filter out your responses.

YES.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    It's a mess. I don't have the chance to hang around at stores. I don't live where I'm at right now. I'll need to tell my girlfriends dad to take care of the collection himself. I just don't have the time... he'll be disappointed!

Maybe, it's gonna be eBay for the biggies after all. German stores wouldn't buy the leftovers though. Really, they always stress how much they hate 80s vinyl, especially singles. My girlfriends dad need to get rid of all records though. He needs the space!

• Tell your girl's dad that if you want to this proper and sell the lp's for what they're worth, it would mean that you are going to invest a whole lot of time (scanning completed items, popsike, etc)

Maybe you should ask for a percentage?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Tell your girl's dad that if you want to this proper and sell the lp's for what they're worth, it would mean that you are going to invest a whole lot of time (scanning completed items, popsike, etc)

Maybe you should ask for a percentage?

In fact, I'd get a percentage! But I really don't have the time to deal on eBay. It's enough work to auction 15 record a month on my own behalf. I'd really love to drop the whole collection at once. But I see that it's the worst selling option!

I guess I need to tell him that he should deal with the collection himself, right? He'd get much more money via eBay. And the rest of the collection could just be trashed or auctioned as a whole.