Soundcloud on the war path! Remixes dropping like flies

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
If you have any remixes on SC, you may not have them there for long.
When are these stupid labels ever going to learn that in most cases non-profit remixes help the artists? smh
http://www.youredm.com/2015/04/15/soundclouds-dictatorship-continues-with-new-copyright-system/

Comments

• It's hitting mixes too. Hopefully Strut ones will be unaffected, but I know plenty of people who have had material removed.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    They're caving to pressure from mostly US origins. RIAA/SONY/UMG. On a side note Zippyshare had thousands of links blocked by Google. If you use Zippyshare for quick uploads like me, don't use Chrome. I've been using Safari and it works fine.

• interesting - I hadn't heard that about Zippy. I have an old version of Opera installed which allows me access to loads of things Google blocks. I thought it was my ISP - which it obviously is in some cases - but it turns out Chrome does a lot of that stuff too

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Total shame. I am much more a fan of the Soundcloud UI and community than Mixcloud. Plus I like the ability to offer downloads.

I've had a few taken down that I had to resort to Mixcloud... I've also sped up mixes a few notches in order to get around their copyright software.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Total shame. I am much more a fan of the Soundcloud UI and community than Mixcloud. Plus I like the ability to offer downloads.

I've had a few taken down that I had to resort to Mixcloud... I've also sped up mixes a few notches in order to get around their copyright software.

Ditto, mixcoud could have been okay, but I find it clunky and very impersonal. I also cant say I'm a fan of their pay for plays policy. Mixcrate is somewhere that seems to find a slightly better balance than Mixcloud imo. I think Soundclouds days are numbered, they are struggling financially and the people that they have pissed off are the ones hat help start them and keep them going. I know of heaps of users (including myself) that started around the same time I did all with significant amounts of followers that no longer pay for a premium account, most have pulled up stumps all together. I have also noticed the engagement of the average soundcloud user has fallen, in years past an edit or remix that got decent play would have lots of feedback, comments, downloads etc but these days that just doesnt happen. I think a big part of that is removing that function from the mobile platform, which was idiotic imo.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Does mixcrate offer the download option as well as the stream? Is that where I should up something I want peeps to hear? I tried upping a mix on soundcloud a couple of weeks ago and got shut down, bastards are so polite about it. Are we back to the days of having a mix upload link attached to the strut? It'd be nice to have a way to share the music that isn't subject to some Big Brother bullshit.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Does mixcrate offer the download option as well as the stream? Is that where I should up something I want peeps to hear? I tried upping a mix on soundcloud a couple of weeks ago and got shut down, bastards are so polite about it. Are we back to the days of having a mix upload link attached to the strut? It'd be nice to have a way to share the music that isn't subject to some Big Brother bullshit.

Remember:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Word.

Though I tried Divshare, and there was bs about them being down for all users except premium users. Frustrated me so I took the dog for a walk instead.

LoopDreams said:

It does (if you allow it), but only available if you are logged in.
    Dropbox is probably the only other alternative

https://hearthis.at/6wvmw7zv/

Hear this is also ok, very low user base at the moment, but I think that may chane

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Dropbox is not even the same, it puts adware in the registry and is a cpu hog because it has to constantly synch. Hearthis sucks, it's the Ello of mix hosts, the big record companies are now winning the war now I'm afraid :(

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What's the consensus on what to do with the death of Divshare? Like, for just single track sound clips? I need to sort my blog!

• I didn't realise, but mediafire has a player now, if that's any use to you.

Kinetic said:
    What's the consensus on what to do with the death of Divshare? Like, for just single track sound clips? I need to sort my blog!

I'm going to go ahead and say Hearthis.at again, I have given it another go and it is starting to gather momentum. A lot of the bigger soundcloud users are now there, the site is still a little buggy but its free and unlimited storage.