Talk About Stuff (NRR or RR)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
This is a thread where you talk about stuff. You can pop off whoever's conversation, just quote it so we know who is talking to who. I wanted to be a bit more optimistic than Grafwritah's thread was making me feelz.

-Why do rockosaurs wanna tell you stories about Bruce Springsteen on tour in '79 and shit? Additionally, why do they think igaf since I'm selling records? I see a lotta my friends trapped in these conversations at shops and shows all the time. Do these dudes know talking about whatever re: music is better than mundane trivia and did you know this and that shit?

-If you are selling a record and you got $125 on it, and that's like max ebay (the name you want to touchhhhh), and I offer a 100, why not take it? Unless you paid like 95 for it I guess. Some people have gotten supertight (not PA worldwide) with pricing at the record show. Whatupwiddat, AMIRITE?!!

-How do you pick a good laundromat? I hate not having a w/d, but I have no choice at the moment. I've gone "quiet" laundromat, but the upkeep on the swipe cards and the machines can be questionable with that one. I just don't want moms washing diapers and throw up blankets in the machines, nahmean?

-Has anyone ever read the comments section of any news article/youtube and not wanted to jump off a cliff? I think the ONLY time I read an enjoyable comments section was reading Science or Scientific American or something.

-Has the U.S. entertainment industry lost its imagination post-9/11? I rewatched Fight Club recently and I'm like, I dunno if this fucking movie could even get made now. Network refuses to make bold TV shows. Producers just want remakes and sequels.

-Semi related note: I hate comic books and comic book movies. Make me like one and explain why.

YOUR MOVE PEOPLES.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    PS Vidal Sassoon enthusiast the one DB Cooper says I'm ridiculous for wanting to wear a watch. I don't like pulling my phone out and looking at the time, plus I think doing it with a wristwatch is classier. Speak on it motherbatches.

• The_Non said:
    PS Vidal Sassoon enthusiast the one DB Cooper says I'm ridiculous for wanting to wear a watch. I don't like pulling my phone out and looking at the time, plus I think doing it with a wristwatch is classier. Speak on it motherbatches.

I still wear a watch and it even has the wrong time. I'm just used to the wrong time. I know it's 15 minutes fast. Will I fix it? No.

• I went to Amoeba recently and felt like Andy Rooney. I was looking at all the price tags and baffled at how every new LP is around $30.

I felt old and confused, like I didn't understand how to open a bag of potato chips.

Controller_7 said:
    The_Non said:

I still wear a watch and it even has the wrong time. I'm just used to the wrong time. I know it's 15 minutes fast. Will I fix it? No.
    Is that a strategy to get to places earlier or on time? Or just how you wagonwheel?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Controller_7 said:
    The_Non said:

Is that a strategy to get to places earlier or on time? Or just how you wagonwheel?

The missus wants our alarm clock to be like 10 minutes ahead, so when it goes off she can sleep 10 more minutes...WTF?
    Drives me crazy.
    Probably projecting other issues on this one but still. SMH.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    All wives are crazy.
    FACT.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The past existed, but does not exist now. The future will exist, but doesn't exist now.
    So 'now' is just a point-like dividing line between two things that don't exist, so time doesn't exist.
    Ergo, watches are supremely redundant artefacts.

On another note, after nearly 3 years of homeless existence, I get to move into my newly built bachelor pad in a month or so.
    I've become unduly fixated on representing all the associated angst, bile and interminable waiting by the symbolism of the key ring to which I will attach the keys.
    To the detriment of searching for beds, sofas, crockery etc etc.
    Strut input to crowd source an appropriate fob much appreciated.

My bottle opener / Tesco clubcard scannable have served me well.

I do have a redundant black/yellow plastic surfboard fob that was a novelty ice-cream stick.

From Ibiza.

Cond: C

Hole too tight for my ring

:pasue:

Also got a mint 1000% gin-u-wine STÜSSY small 8-ball fob.

Cond : MINT - unplayed

Yours gratis, S*eve.

Full and complete settlement of that Cutty-Sark chai tea affair?

• J i m s t e r said:
    All wives are crazy.
    FACT.

We
    Intercept
    Fun
    Everytime

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Also got a mint 1000% gin-u-wine STÜSSY small 8-ball fob.

Cond : MINT - unplayed

Yours gratis, S*eve.

Full and complete settlement of that Cutty-Sark chai tea affair?

Done, addy on the pm

I was stuck behind the 8-ball, like an anally retentive, whitebread and vastly unfunky honkified version of Baby Face Willette; but like him, via the sustenance provided by jazz and liquor, I am free at last.
    Such a fob is entirely apropos.
    Perfect reminder on the daily.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    All wives are crazy.
    FACT.

We
    Intercept
    Fun
    Everytime

a-haha!

skel said:
    The past existed, but does not exist now. The future will exist, but doesn't exist now.
    So 'now' is just a point-like dividing line between two things that don't exist, so time doesn't exist.
    Ergo, watches are supremely redundant artefacts.

exactly. i hadn't wore a watch since high school... until wive gave me a fitbit for xmas last year - completely unprompted. (what is she trying to tell me?? so many things...) well, that fitbit now sits in the bottom of the wasteland that is my office bag.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I got the time, tick tick ticking in my head...

Always crazy to think how aging is relative to the distance of orbit around the sun.

If you latch onto a comet that takes say 600 years to orbit the sun, does that really mean it would take 600 "years" for you to age one Earth year?

If so, what the fuck are we doing not putting ourselves into outer orbit?

Oh yeah, that's right. Earth years are grueling enough already.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The_Non said:

YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST ROCK A GRANDFATHER CLOCK ON A SOLID GOLD WRISTBAND BRO.

My old local weed dude just texted me out of the blue, so I might have to coppeth. But I have to run it by the wifey first for permission. Why must I cry?

Pearl Jam is the grunge equivalent of Creed.

I walked through this Italian lady at Grand Central the other day because she was part of a crowd pushing to get on the 4 train before people got off. I straight up raised the elbow and rammed full speed ahead. She exclaimed her displeasure in Italian. I gave no fucks and continue to consider the incident as wholely appropriate.

HarveyCanal said:
    I got the time, tick tick ticking in my head...

Always crazy to think how aging is relative to the distance of orbit around the sun.

If you latch onto a comet that takes say 600 years to orbit the sun, does that really mean it would take 600 "years" for you to age one Earth year?

If so, what the fuck are we doing not putting ourselves into outer orbit?

Oh yeah, that's right. Earth years are grueling enough already.

If you had a piece of rope a light-year long, and someone a light-year away pulled it, would you feel it instantly, but not see dude pull it for a year (assuming you had a powerful enough theoretical telescope) ?

:no ayos:

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The_Non said:

In the age of smart phones, this convo is approaching Apple-v.-Android status. Let's just dead it! Wrist watches are classic and stylish and convenient - I've got a few decent ones but have been delaying the inevitable foray into the next price bracket, say, something of a Bell & Ross caliber, which is still very little dude. I'd consider wearing a smart watch if the battery life wasn't such a buzz kill.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

If u hate Comic Books then there really is no "comic book movie" I could convince you to like.

Cause when I hear that im hearing disdain for spandex, secret identities, super-powers, over the top villains, etc...vs talkin head "comics".

A History of Violence graphic novel ("talkin head steez") was adapted by Cronenberg for the film.
    The book's writer help build Judge Dredd which and comes from the same pocket as the V for Vendetta and other influential British comic book writers.

And real heads have backed the latest Judge Dredd film.
    Its paced like a real comic, w/ no "charismatic" star, obligatory love tension for certain demographics, and cute/smart kid trope.

I wanna know if you like the original Terminator?

I recommend Blade 2.

Super-hero steez for folks that dont like comics.....Chronicle.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    1) Most people's lives stop when they hit 25 and they spend the next 40 years telling stories of their youth. The key to life imo is to live so you always have new stories to tell.

2) The fear of selling something "too cheap" is rampant in 2014. I attribute it to laziness. In their mind it's easier to sell one thing @ $125 in my mind it's easier to go find 3 of them and sell them for $50 each. At the end of the day I have $150 and they have an overpriced record.

3) Laundromats are for suckers

4) Comment sections are for pussies.....people post shit there they would never say in real life to someone's face but feel safe doing so behind the safety of anonymity and a computer screen. In the future online trolling will become an oft prosecuted crime because even bigger pussies take comment sections too seriously.

5) With so many other entertainment options in 2014 Hollywood is afraid to gamble on something that will flop. So they stay with tried and true 'sure things" that appeal to the lowest common denominators....Dumb & Dumber 14 is the Happy Meal of movies.

6) I hate comic books and comic book movies too.....can't help you there.

7) I've never worn a watch yet I can tell you what time it is within 15 minutes at any given time during the day. My pet peeve is people who wear watches and still can't make shit on time.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    All wives are crazy.
    FACT.

We
    Intercept
    Fun
    Everytime

Wives who want to party and have as much fun as their husbands are called future ex-wives

Rockadelic said:
    My pet peeve is people who wear watches and still can't make shit on time.

But doesn't the wearing of the watch show they recognize the problem and are working to better themselves?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:
    -Semi related note: I hate comic books and comic book movies. Make me like one and explain why.

Its paced like a real comic, w/ no "charismatic" star, obligatory love tension for certain demographics, and cute/smart kid trope.

Seconded on the non-Stallone Dredd. Excellent future-noir style film. Wasn't great at the box-office so no plans for sequel :whycry:

I recommend Watchmen

Fixed!

white_tea said:
    Rockadelic said:
    My pet peeve is people who wear watches and still can't make shit on time.

But doesn't the wearing of the watch show they recognize the problem and are working to better themselves?

You mean like.....I know I have this punctuality problem so I just started wearing a watch this month to try to fix it?

Doubtful

I have a few Casio G-Shocks just because they tick the rare boxes of

a) looking good to me
    b) require no fusks to be given vis-a-vis damage
    c) not hella expensive

I draw the financial line there, as I have more pressing things to spunk grands on.

I see dudes flossing a watch like it's some flash motor.

Braying types.

They probably can't tell the time.

Yeah, I know the score. If you haven't been punctual by now, there's not much else to say.

Pet peeve: Arriving for a restaurant meet-up early or right on time and having to play the, Which name variation is the reservation under? game with the hostess.

b/w

I think it's paranoia but the new home screen/Apple Touch ID button on the iPhone 6 gives my thumb the sensation of a blood-sugar test pin prick. If it was cool or interesting to have the latest smart phone, that could qualify as a diabetes humblebrag.

J i m s t e r said:
    I have a few Casio G-Shocks just because they tick the rare boxes of

a) looking good to me
    b) require no fusks to be given vis-a-vis damage
    c) not hella expensive

I had the G-Shock with the manual BPM counter and, yes, with relative frequency used it at the club :(

• Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    All wives are crazy.
    FACT.

We
    Intercept
    Fun
    Everytime

Wives who want to party and have as much fun as their husbands are called future ex-wives

That's just your Greg Abbott bumper sticker talking.

batmon said:

If u hate Comic Books then there really is no "comic book movie" I could convince you to like.

Cause when I hear that im hearing disdain for spandex, secret identities, super-powers, over the top villains, etc...vs talkin head "comics".

A History of Violence graphic novel ("talkin head steez") was adapted by Cronenberg for the film.
    The book's writer help build Judge Dredd which and comes from the same pocket as the V for Vendetta and other influential British comic book writers.

I wanna know if you like the original Terminator?

I recommend Blade 2.

Super-hero steez for folks that dont like comics.....Chronicle.

I forgot I liked 300
    Perhaps I don't like superhero shit, altho I'm cool w/orig. Jack Nicholson Batman, recent Batmans, and Christopher Reeve Supermans. I'll investigate this "Chronicle"

Rockadelic said:
    1) Most people's lives stop when they hit 25 and they spend the next 40 years telling stories of their youth. The key to life imo is to live so you always have new stories to tell. Yes thank you!

2) The fear of selling something "too cheap" is rampant in 2014. I attribute it to laziness. In their mind it's easier to sell one thing @ $125 in my mind it's easier to go find 3 of them and sell them for $50 each. At the end of the day I have $150 and they have an overpriced record. Yes! Sheeeeit!

3) Laundromats are for suckers
    Rock, are you suggesting I get a washboard? Which washboard might you recommend? Apparently old technologies are what I do! :D

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The_Non said:

-Has anyone ever read the comments section of any news article/youtube and not wanted to jump off a cliff? I think the ONLY time I read an enjoyable comments section was reading Science or Scientific American or something.

Rule #1 of the Internet: Never read the comments

--On the punctuality tip, it used to be that DJ time was bad (an hour late), but rapper time was worse (2+ hours late, if showing up at all). Now DJ time has become rapper time. I feel like I'm the only one who actually makes a point of showing up to things on time.

--Speaking of rappers, I was telling a friend about how ridiculously hard it is to get them to actually record vocals and asking if he ever had the same trouble. His response: "ALL THE TIME. Every single one of them. They have the easiest job in the world, and they still suck at it."

--The show Mulaney is a really odd case. It's got a bunch of funny people involved (John Mulaney, Nasim Pedrad, Elliott Gould, etc.), but it looks pretty dire. I really wonder what happened there. All those people must know that what they're putting on the air isn't funny. Did the show just get network-noted to death? Is this the best they could do given some other constraints they were working under? I want a behind-the-scenes account.

---I just celebrated 10 years at my company, and I'm terrified of losing my job. Is that just how things are nowadays?

DJ_Enki said:

--The show Mulaney is a really odd case. It's got a bunch of funny people involved (John Mulaney, Nasim Pedrad, Elliott Gould, etc.), but it looks pretty dire. I really wonder what happened there. All those people must know that what they're putting on the air isn't funny. Did the show just get network-noted to death? Is this the best they could do given some other constraints they were working under? I want a behind-the-scenes account.

Mulaney's funny, Nasim is funny. I gave it 5 fucking minutes. So awful. I was worried by commercials he was gonna try to duplicate Seinfeld. No danger o' dat. BTW, I'm pretty certain they even recycled the set from that awful "comedy" Dads as his set. It's sad/baffling when good comedians make bad shows. I'm starting to think that a great comedian is destined to make a bad TV show, and an eh comedian (Seinfeld, Chappelle) will make great shows.

-Does anyone like a restaurant that is BYOB? There's a good restaurant in my area that is BYOB. I've never B'd my OB, but the reason I mention it is for 2 reasons:

-The restaurant space is fucking tiny
    -Because it's BYOB, people post up in there for HOURS! TAKING SELFIES AND PASSING HENNESSY BOTTLES. It's a tiny fucking restaurant. They're fucking losing money while these foos drink their own alcohol they brought in, it's ridackulous. Additionally, they have NO hostess and NO place to wait for a table other than in the doorway. Whatupwiddat, AMIRITE?!!