what's your vinyl fetish?

tabiratabira 856 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
I have a weakness for those fat MGM/Verve "DJ" promo stickers - they slow down chud rejection by a second.

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    You too? I also have a fetish for promo labels.
    Attached files

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I'm always on the hunt for WLPs & mint copies of classics in shrink. I also fetishize full label runs on 45. Working on Sally Ruth, Taboga and Grecha right now.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    a nice clean capitol hole punch is almost better than an intact cover. It's like vinyl body piercing

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Non-generic inner sleeves: anti-static plastic joints; decorated/printed paper sleeves, paper sleeves lined with the anti-static shit, round inner sleeves...etc.

I also pasue for a second more when I see cut corners while flipping through bins.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I love the Cadet/Cadet Concept, Motown, and Atlantic (and other labels') OG inner sleeves. As a kid, the records pictured on the sleeves comprised my wants lists. That's how us old folks did it before the Internet. Oh yeah, I can't forget gate-fold covers, especially the glossy ones.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

As a kid, the records pictured on the sleeves comprised my wants lists. That's how us old folks did it before the Internet.

God that takes me back. I feel old! My quest was once to get every title listed on that United Artists era Blue note inner sleeve and the Mid 70s Milestone inner sleeve (that's how I found Gears by Johnny Hammond waay back when ). I remember getting paper lists from Craig Moerer and obscure UK outfit "Soulutions" (cheesy name). I fucking loved those Moerer mailings.

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

I love the Cadet/Cadet Concept, Motown, and Atlantic (and other labels') OG inner sleeves. As a kid, the records pictured on the sleeves comprised my wants lists. That's how us old folks did it before the Internet. Oh yeah, I can't forget gate-fold covers, especially the glossy ones.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Me too, Buddah inners were another I used to base some of my wants.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Run-Out grooves w/ messages scratched into them.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    tabira said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

As a kid, the records pictured on the sleeves comprised my wants lists. That's how us old folks did it before the Internet.

God that takes me back. I feel old! My quest was once to get every title listed on that United Artists era Blue note inner sleeve and the Mid 70s Milestone inner sleeve (that's how I found Gears by Johnny Hammond waay back when ). I remember getting paper lists from Craig Moerer and obscure UK outfit "Soulutions" (cheesy name). I fucking loved those Moerer mailings.

Hey Tabira,

My older brother and I were members of the Columbia Record Club (dad signed us up) :real_headz: . I coudn't wait for those cardboard mailers to arrive to the house. I still have those joints and they play very well. Pop schooled us as youngins about how to handle records properly. Your post cued me to recollect this fond, old-school memory.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Double post, sorry!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Shrink Wrap!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Condition. I love minty records.

This does not always work out well.
    I am likely to buy a sealed Rosemary Clooney on Spinarama just because it's sealed.
    I am likely to pass up a Jamaican 45 because it is beat.

Folkways.

Risque covers (speaking of fetishes) used to be one, but I've got more than I know what to do with.

tabira said:
    a nice clean capitol hole punch is almost better than an intact cover. It's like vinyl body piercing

Some labels, in fact I think Capitol, used to put rivets in their promo cut outs.
    Capitol also punched tiny holes spelling out FREE on promos in the olden days.

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

I love the Cadet/Cadet Concept, Motown, and Atlantic (and other labels') OG inner sleeves. As a kid, the records pictured on the sleeves comprised my wants lists. That's how us old folks did it before the Internet.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Truth.

I've also started collecting record store bags. I have some from the '50s.
    Also custom store innersleeves.
    I wish I still had all the ones from that big store in Toronto that went out of business in the 90s.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I wish I still had all the ones from that big store in Toronto that went out of business in the 90s.

Sam The Record Man?

LaserWolf said:
    tabira said:

Some labels, in fact I think Capitol, used to put rivets in their promo cut outs.
    Capitol also punched tiny holes spelling out FREE on promos in the olden days.

Yup, I have never seen the brass grommet in a Capitol release but I have seen them in mid to late 60's Warner Brothers/Reprise and Atlantic album jackets.
    Attached files

• boy would i love to monitor inbound search traffic tonight thanks to that thread title.

i have questions for every new register for the next 48hrs.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    boy would i love to monitor inbound search traffic tonight thanks to that thread title.

i have questions for every new register for the next 48hrs.

Sorry Raj, but it does kinda fit my avatar

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Pop schooled us as youngins about how to handle records properly. Your post cued me to recollect this fond, old-school memory.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, my dad got me into good music, and he thought he was taking care of his LPs but I'm sure this was the reason they all ended up butchered:

• parallax said:
    LaserWolf said:

Sam The Record Man?

I think he's thinking of the vinyl museum.
    Attached files

Vinyl Museum.
    In later days the innersleeves included Bible versus.

• LaserWolf said:
    Vinyl Museum.
    In later days the innersleeves included Bible versus.

Oh Yeah.....
    Attached files