BOBBY WOMACK vs. JJ JOHNSON (Who wore it better?)

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
This is one of the only examples I can think of where the orchestra theme was just as hard hitting as the blaxploitation theme. Jackie Brown fans will instantly remember Bobby Womack's version that Quentin Tarantino used wonderfully to bookend his film. On Soul Train Bobby Womack admits that his version took about 2 weeks to put together, but he also gives JJ Johnson credit for his incredible work on the score.

Now alternatively, If you've been to a breakdancing event anytime from now to the early 90's like myself. You may have heard JJ Johnson's version during a final battle as it has elevated in the ranks as a breakbeat DJ's staple. These 2 songs are both incredibly well written, and completely elevate a somewhat mediocre film.

JJ Johnson was a trombonist who had worked with everybody from Miles Davis to Charlier Parker to Dizzie. He has recordings on Blue Note, Impulse records, CTI/A&M, and Mercury. In the 70's the dude himself Quincy Jones helped him get into the scoring game where he worked on, 'Across 110th Street, Cleopatra Jones, Top of the Heap and Willie Dynamite, as well as TV series such as Starsky & Hutch, Mike Hammer and The Six Million Dollar Man.'

Bobby Womack was a phenomenal guitarist that I actually had to study for his work on the Sly and the Family Stone's "There's a Riot Goin on" album. However I think Bobby will probably mostly be noted for his vocal work creating the blueprint for artists such as Jodeci. Most recently working with Damon Albarn on an album called the Bravest Man.

Bobby Womack - Across 110th street

"I was the third brother of five /
Doing whatever I had to do to survive /
I'm not saying what I did was alright /
Trying to break out of the ghetto was a day to day fight"

vs.

JJ Johnson - Across 110th street

----------------
I thought since we lost Bobby yesterday it would be fun to hear what your favorite version is, anything you got to say about Bobby and maybe a memory you have associated with it.

Myself, the first time I heard the song was during B-Boy Summit in 2001. LA Breakers and Rhythm Bugz were battling when this song came on, and everyone went nuts when this song dropped. It was the JJ Johnson version and I remember thinking to myself. I GOTTA FIND THIS SONG!! A few months later I went to the Buena Park Record Show, and my buddy Badnoozbear goes, "Hey man there goes that Burner you were looking for that heat!" I grabbed the Bobby Womack 45 and was eager to get it home and listen to it. However, when I get it home it was a completely different song. I was a bit disappointed of course, but kept the record anyway.

A couple of years later I'm at my aunts house in North Las Vegas, and she was watching Jackie Brown for the umpteeth time (a ghetto favorite). When the Bobby Womack version comes on at the end I remembered that I had that 45 somewhere. A much better song than I remembered it. I decided to track down the original movie, and of course in the first few minutes. I get treated to a third version of the song. The JJ Johnson version at actual speed (most breakbeat Dj's tend to pitch this track way up) with the Bobby Womack vocals on top.

Which has finally become my personal favorite version of the song.

- spidey

Comments

• the instrumental is just okay, pretty standard big band blaxploitation sound, bobby's take is much more direct, moving, yearnin'. not even close. the vocals don't really work in that intro version to the movie, the background singers in particular are off-key with the backing track.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    They're hard to compare tbh.

JJ's is funky with that tambourine, driving bongos, and punchy brass. It's an exciting but well-travelled bboy classic.

Womack's is (in Crab's words) more yearning, soulful, and serious imo. You can sense the pain of living in poverty in his voice and lyrics. It's obviously a much deeper cut, and probably more well known amongst the 2. Tarantino used it well.

They're both quite different to me. I like 'em both, but I'd go with Womack's if I had to pick one. In my 20's when I didn't give a shit, I'd pick JJ's easily.

As I age, I'm finding myself being drawn more towards soulful sounds, and less towards breaks. So shit like Frankie Beverly's "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)" or Dave Hamilton Voice's "Because I Love You".

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    the instrumental is just okay, pretty standard big band blaxploitation sound, bobby's take is much more direct, moving, yearnin'. not even close. the vocals don't really work in that intro version to the movie, the background singers in particular are off-key with the backing track.

I've never seen the flick, but I understand that Womack wasn't very happy with the placement of his songs, saying that they were used in the wrong scenes.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    parallax said:
    As I age, I'm finding myself being drawn more towards soulful sounds, and less towards breaks.

I totally agree. As you mature your preferences change.

- spidey

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    The Womack vocal version has been one of my favourite soul tracks for many years. I play it rarely to maintain the impact I guess. That said JJ Johnson is one of the greats in the OST game. The aren't that many cats that can touch him, IMO: Gainsbourg ( and he's very different), Ayers ( he only did Coffy) , JB ( who only did 2 I think), Quincy, Hayes, Curtis.... The unique thing about Johnson though is that although his soundtracks define the genre, his never went for, or came from, the type of mainstream popularity that the other dudes mentioned experienced.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    The Womack vocal version has been one of my favourite soul tracks for many years. I play it rarely to maintain the impact I guess. That said JJ Johnson is one of the greats in the OST game. The aren't that many cats that can touch him, IMO: Gainsbourg ( and he's very different), Ayers ( he only did Coffy) , JB ( who only did 2 I think), Quincy, Hayes, Curtis.... The unique thing about Johnson though is that although his soundtracks define the genre, his never went for, or came from, the type of mainstream popularity that the other dudes mentioned experienced.

Interesting insight, particularly with the OST comments! What are your thoughts on Lalo Schifrin? I don't think he's done blaxploitation, but has done a fair number of OSTs...some of which are funky.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I love schiffrin but more for his non soundtrack stuff, although Bullit is killer and I remember Mannix being good to. To my ears Johnson's style is earthier and fresher.