Dre Day

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
edited May 2014 in Strut Central
Does nearly a billion make Detox's chances of dropping better, or it will never see the light of day?

What does Dre do now with all that cash? I'd personally fill a pool full of cash and go swiming like Scrooge McDuck.

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    ipod6.dre will be like $4000 now... candy ass devices with candy ass headphones = both equally overpriced and colorful

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I still have a few bundles of life sucks die Dre Day stickers. I should cover my city.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    tyrese fucked up the money on that one

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    DOR said:

ha ha ha, I haven't seen that shit yet....lolz are you friggin kidding me?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ive stopped looking out for Detox a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Holy shit. I'm a huge Apple supporter, but Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave and this is the ultimate jump the shark.

The public has already caught on that these head phones are overpriced pieces of shit. I bought a pair when they first came out thinking they would be collector's items (LOL!) My $50 Audio Technica's have better sound.

Beats headphones are a fad and this acquisition could very well contribute to Apple's demise.

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    They didn't buy it for the headphones, and I'm pretty sure even 1 billion dollars lit on fire using another billion as kindling wouldn't even rattle Apple

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Aren't they known to give a brother brain damage?

b/w

Or are they now smelling like Indonesia?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DOR said:
    Does nearly a billion make Detox's chances of dropping better, or it will never see the light of day?

What does Dre do now with all that cash? I'd personally fill a pool full of cash and go swiming like Scrooge McDuck.

Haha - was reading a few articles on this deal but was waiting to read the definitive Dretox analysis!

From what I gather, the deal is a lot less about wearables and more about potential in the Beats streaming biz. Iovine fortifies the taste-making quotient.

Also also, it was somewhat disconcerting to hear the tone of the coverage on my local hip-hop dial, Power 92, which was more about Dre getting a few billion (probably more like hundreds of millions), leaving mostly unmentioned that Apple barely is dipping into their mounds of cash to pay for the company. Reminded me of Chris Rock's famous rich-vs-wealthy bit.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    amphibious said:
    They didn't buy it for the headphones, and I'm pretty sure even 1 billion dollars lit on fire using another billion as kindling wouldn't even rattle Apple

^^^^^^
    Didn't see this post before making mine.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    batmon said:
    ive stopped looking out for Detox a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Oh. You'll change your mind once Garage Band changes to Beatz by Dre and it has all the packs Dre used for Detox and you get to make your own Detox.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    DOR said:

Maybe he can now finally afford to become white. According to Suge Knight, that's Dre's secret wish. lol.

DOR said:
    batmon said:

Oh. You'll change your mind once Garage Band changes to Beatz by Dre and it has all the packs Dre used for Detox and you get to make your own Detox.

I used to play w/ Garage band but got bored. I wonder if recycled Daz/Mel-Man beats could get me interested again.

I heard the acquisition is more about the streaming service moreso than the headphones, which I rock in Turquoise.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:

Yup....pretty much knew that was dead in the water since 2004.

As for Apple buying Beats, it makes no sense to me. Apple is shitting billions (so the money isn't an issue) but it seems like they are trying to buy 'cool' and that never seems to work. They certainly aren't buying the technology of the headphones (the hardware is overpriced shit) they certainly aren't buying the Beats steaming music marketplace (which is also shit) and I'm sure they aren't buying the brains of Jimmy and Dr Dre.

I'm struggling to understand how that was a good purchase for them.

EDIT: Only 250,000 people subscribe to the Beats streaming service at $10 bucks a month. So, at that rate they will remake their 3 billion in 100 years...which suggests they are purchasing the streaming technology? The rights for specific music to stream? I don't get it...then again, I'm not a technology mogul genius.

JectWon said:
    batmon said:

Yup....pretty much knew that was dead in the water since 2004.

As for Apple buying Beats, it makes no sense to me. Apple is shitting billions (so the money isn't an issue) but it seems like they are trying to buy 'cool' and that never seems to work. They certainly aren't buying the technology of the headphones (the hardware is overpriced shit) they certainly aren't buying the Beats steaming music marketplace (which is also shit) and I'm sure they aren't buying the brains of Jimmy and Dr Dre.

EDIT: Only 250,000 people subscribe to the Beats streaming service at $10 bucks a month. So, at that rate they will remake their 3 billion in 100 years...which suggests they are purchasing the streaming technology? The rights for specific music to stream? I don't get it...then again, I'm not a technology mogul genius.

I was under the impression Apple doesnt have a service. So get one w/ some cred, absorb, tweak, and re-brand.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    JectWon said:

They certainly aren't buying the technology of the headphones (the hardware is overpriced shit) they certainly aren't buying the Beats steaming music marketplace (which is also shit) and I'm sure they aren't buying the brains of Jimmy and Dr Dre.

All tech buy outs are a mystery to me. I read about billion dollar buyouts of little firms that are making no money all the time.

One reason for a buy out could be that Apple hopes to make successful use of a patents that Beats own.
    I have also heard it said that they want to Jimmy's vision and connection to musicians.

Today Apple is the largest (guess) music distributor, but they don't have a label or any artist. This could change that.

Or it is the beginning of the end.

Dre will use his money, and Apples tech savvy, to clone wooly mammoths.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    JectWon said:

They certainly aren't buying the technology of the headphones (the hardware is overpriced shit) they certainly aren't buying the Beats steaming music marketplace (which is also shit) and I'm sure they aren't buying the brains of Jimmy and Dr Dre.

One reason for a buy out could be that Apple hopes to make successful use of a patents that Beats own.
    I have also heard it said that they want to Jimmy's vision and connection to musicians.

These two points probably make the most sense in my opinion...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts