O-Dub on NPR Reviewing Late Registration

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I can't listen to clips on the internet so it was nice to actually hear the songs that were being reviewed. Here is the link for those who missed it.http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4823316

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Lupe makes 5.75 an hour washing dishes at this downtown Los Angeles Sushi restaurant. Despite her long hours and low pay, she harbors strong hopes for her family's future. We talked to her about what the Bush tax plan means to her... That's coming up right after urban corresspondent ODub schools us on all things Kanye. But first, this non-instrusive word about where we get our obscenely useful endowments from.

No dis to ODub, but Gawd do I hate NPR!!!! But since I don't have cable, I didn't know I hated Kanye until this, so thanks, I guess.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Lupe makes 5.75 an hour washing dishes at this downtown Los Angeles Sushi restaurant. Despite her long hours and low pay, she harbors strong hopes for her family's future. We talked to her about what the Bush tax plan means to her... That's coming up right after urban corresspondent ODub schools us on all things Kanye. But first, this non-instrusive word about where we get our obscenely useful endowments from.

No dis to ODub, but Gawd do I hate NPR!!!! But since I don't have cable, I didn't know I hated Kanye until this, so thanks, I guess.

Whoa...Choose.........Your.........Battles

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

What???s your beef with NPR? Are you mad because they don't spend 3/4 of their air time discussing missing white girls in the Caribbean?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What???s your beef with NPR? Are you mad because they don't spend 3/4 of their air time discussing missing white girls in the Caribbean?

Seriously, it's not perfect, but as far as broadcast newsmedia, it's about the best you're going to get.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    R.I.P. Dick Gordon

Hope your still making connections, homey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Uh, ok.

Look, NPR might broadcast to the same demographic that reads the NY Times at Starbucks every morning but compared to what your alternatives are, I'll take 'em over anything else out there. When your choices are the juggernaut of right-wing radio and the sometimes dogmatism of Pacifica, NPR fills the middle in quite nicely.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

Seriously, it's not perfect, but as far as broadcast newsmedia, it's about the best you're going to get.

!!!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

defeatist. bottom line: it still sucks. no matter how much everything else sucks.

best bet is to pool information from multiple sources. best source of news in the am is Washington Journal on C-SPAN.

NPR=USA today read outloud by smarmy fucktards from Chevy Chase.

Uh, ok.

Look, NPR might broadcast to the same demographic that reads the NY Times at Starbucks every morning but compared to what your alternatives are, I'll take 'em over anything else out there. When your choices are the juggernaut of right-wing radio and the sometimes dogmatism of Pacifica, NPR fills the middle in quite nicely.

i do see these points. two things though: 1) i don't believe relative measures of quality 2)the quality and depth in the NYT is 100 times better than anything on NPR.

the same time...i'm glad Oliver is the go-to man these days for hip hop, but too bad they only go to him for shit like Eminem and Kanye (i.e. palatable middle brow pap).

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Uh, ok.

i do see these points. two things though: 1) i don't believe relative measures of quality 2)the quality and depth in the NYT is 100 time sbterr than anything on NPR.

the same time...i'm glad Oliver is the go-to man these days for hip hop, but too bad they only go to him for shit like Eminem and Kanye.

I was on NPR talking about The Roots back when Things Fall Apart came out. It was a cool experience in the sense that I got to talk about hip-hop to an audience that presumably wasn't reading anything I was writing. But they stiffed me when I demanded a lifetime supply of half-caf, double-hot, extra tall, third-soy, whoopty-whoop, rammalammadingdong, give peace a chance organic lattes!

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    [best bet is to pool information from multiple sources. best source of news in the am is Washington Journal on CSPN.

What time does that come on?

I was on NPR talking about The Roots back when Things Fall Apart[/b] came out.

then rap changed forever...

[best bet is to pool information from multiple sources. best source of news in the am is Washington Journal on CSPN.

What time does that come on?

8-10 in the east

ps--i'm on record for liking TFA a lot. I also like some Eminem and Kanye, but the fact these are who gets talked about NPR serves my argument.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Oliver, I managed to catch about half of your segment while taking my son to pre-school (just wait until that day arrives, my friend). I thought from what I heard, you gave a good, non-biased view of Ms. West. I had to cut out right when you got into his whole diva-esque behavior, unfortunately.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Well, it sure did in NPRland. Actually, the funny part to that whole thing was that I didn't even like Things Fall Apart. But fortunately, they wanted me to talk more about the phenomenon of The Roots ("a hip-hop band--whaaaaa?") than discuss the merits of the album. Which is good. The last thing I need is a delightfully condescending letter from ?uestlove.

Well, it sure did in NPRland. Actually, the funny part to that whole thing was that I didn't even like Things Fall Apart. But fortunately, they wanted me to talk more about the phenomenon of The Roots ("a hip-hop band--whaaaaa?") than discuss the merits of the album[/b]. Which is good. The last thing I need is a delightfully condescending letter from ?uestlove.

the evidence continues to pile up...

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    folls who hate on NPR - whats the point!?

NPR is one of the only good (big) alternative to the remaining 95% bullcrap on the FM. One of the few mainstream sources of long format content - interviews, scene reports, etc. Shits educating - news is only one function, the rest is original content.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i don't believe relative measures of quality
    but too bad they only go to him for shit like Eminem and Kanye (i.e. palatable middle brow pap).

National Petroleum Radio is just a late pass for liberal Starbucks yuppies, and they've already shown how irrelevant they are. In 2003 Pacifica was talking about the imminent shitstorm in the M.E., while NPR is doing a story on Kurdish dairy farmers and their views on joining the EU or some apple-bong bullshit.

In short, they are an ass-tickler for some of the biggest sell-out demographics in the nation. It's not what they cover IT'S WHAT THEY DON'T COVER.

Fuck em. I get all my news from Soulstrut.

My basic view throughout both these threads is that mainstream media outlets (e.g. Time and NPR) are so boring mainly due to the lack of depth and selection of coverage. At the same time, simply being partisan does make up for this deficit (i.e. Fox, Adbusters).

Getting good information through contemporary media is like conducting a massive meta-analysis every single day. No wonder why people either tune out or just have some news analyst personality reinforce their own prejudices.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Uh, ok.

i do see these points. two things though: 1) i don't believe relative measures of quality 2)the quality and depth in the NYT is 100 times better than anything on NPR.

the same time...i'm glad Oliver is the go-to man these days for hip hop, but too bad they only go to him for shit like Eminem and Kanye (i.e. palatable middle brow pap).

Well, I personally don't f**k with broadcast newsmedia at all--I get my news from the Times--and I agree that relative measures of quality are not the move when comparing two things that are both completely crap. The thing here is that I don't think NPR is completely crap.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    My basic view throughout both these threads is that mainstream media outlets (e.g. Time and NPR) are so boring mainly due to the lack of depth and selection of coverage. At the same time, simply being partisan does make up for this deficit (i.e. Fox, Adbusters).

Getting good information through contemporary media is like conducting a massive meta-analysis every single day. No wonder why people either tune out or just have some news analyst personality reinforce their own prejudices.

You're fixed on the news coverage issue - which is only part of NPR's function. I agree, get yr facts from meta-sources...Indymedia, NYTimes, googlenews, etc. NPR does a good job of educating a BIG demographic on a lot of issues, which are often produced ahead of time because they are long format field pieces - who else does that?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    from the site...

Kanye West (Rock[/b]-A-Fella Records)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Fuck em. I get all my news from Soulstrut.

It's scary how true this is sometimes.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

When your choices are the juggernaut of right-wing radio and the constant unrelenting[/b] dogmatism of Pacifica, NPR fills the middle in quite nicely.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I thought this thread was about kanye.

Im really high, and you guys are confusing the hell out of me.