I celebrate their entire catalog Pat II

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
Since I can't find the old thread, I'm makiing a new one. I put the entire Creedence discography on my car iPod several months ago, and I have come to the realization that their entire catalog is solid. Every track is good, if not great. Awesome music to cruise around to, and makes me want to get some good green and just Lebowski around.

One of their rare dark jams:

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    CCR Has been a long time favorite. I'm not sure they get the credit for the musicianship and quality of songs. I'm sure a lot of people just see it as folky/pop sing along but it's really good music.

Burzum : Yea the guy is a survivalist white power murderer (depending on how you view his story) but his output has been solid and he pretty much plays all the instruments to my knowledge. The mix of moody keyboard goth song and black metal songs is interesting.

Carol Kaye : I'm not sure she has much (any? other then instructional records) solo stuff, but her bass playing always makes make a song better. Northern Windows with Hampton Hawes and Spider Web is some of the best Jazz/Funk around. Killer players and Axelrod!

Kenny Rogers : Saw him live and forgot how many hits this man has put out in his life. Great showman and singer.

Willie Nelson : Still kicking it! He puts on a long show with nothing but hits and you know all the words. That pretty much says it all. Even when he bring out a new song your singing it by the end. In the early 90's my friend said forget the Dead, Willie is the party concert and Willie shows are still like that to this day.

Kool and the Gang : Even when they got pop/disco it was still better than a lot of stuff out there. Still kicking it and hits galore.

Dolly Parton : Her versions of I Will Always Love you and Seven Bridges Road slays Whitney and The Eagles. Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Actor and genuinely good person. You don't get that combo often.

Cannonball Adderley : Quality music all around

Tribe Called Quest : I won't celebrate the entire Love Movement LP but still had some good songs. Just a few LP's and changed rap forever.

Los Lobos : Always breaking ground and they put on a killer live show.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    CCR has to be in the top 3 or 5 greatest Bay Area bands/artists, which I guess is its own thread....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    CCR has to be in the top 3 or 5 greatest Bay Area bands/artists, which I guess is its own thread....

Sly and the Family Stone
    Santana
    Grateful Dead
    Steve Miller Band
    Creedence Clearwater Revival

Journey, Dead Kennedys, E-40, and Green Day didn't make the cut.

HarveyCanal said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Sly and the Family Stone
    Santana
    Grateful Dead
    Steve Miller Band

Pretty much showing why top X lists are silly since you can never give everyone the credit they deserve. The people who came first get the main credit but this doesn't account for new music form etc. Plenty of CCR fans wouldn't give DK or E-40 the time of day.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Sly and the Family Stone

really? for my money "high on you" was the last decent thing he ever did and that album was spotty as fuck. "heard ya missed me", "back on the right track" and "ain't but the one way" are completely flaccid, burned out (and not in a good way a la "riot"). that shit is painful to listen to. and don't even get me started on "ten years too soon". so, i guess what i am saying is that i have tried to ride for the man's whole catalogue and failed, maybe that's a thread in itself "bands you tried to ride for the entire catalogue."

its kinda hard, near impossible to pick a group or artists that had at least a 10 year plus career without some duds. i guess donny hathaway never put out anything sub-par but he only had like 5 albums and two of them were live joints. surely had he kept producing music in the 80's it would have been "adult contemporary" style...

ok, i have it. steely dan. i like every one of thier albums including the last two and the live records. mind you, "everything must go" had some serious weak points... ok, change my answer again, it's donald fagen, i love all of his solo records, singles, b-sides, etc.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I'm too picky. The entire catalogue? Even JB had some duds. Maybe artists that quit while they were ahead/died young... but I can't think of anyone who's 100% all killer no filler for me.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I can't think of anyone who's 100% all killer no filler for me.

Led Zeppelin

DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:

Led Zeppelin

Coda?

Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:

Led Zeppelin

Coda?

I ride. Also, The Pixies (up until the recent EPs they just put out which I haven't heard).

DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:

Led Zeppelin

Coda?

I ride.

I yield. Pass the hot honey.

crabmongerfunk said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Sly and the Family Stone

really? for my money "high on you" was the last decent thing he ever did and that album was spotty as fuck. "heard ya missed me", "back on the right track" and "ain't but the one way" are completely flaccid, burned out (and not in a good way a la "riot"). that shit is painful to listen to. and don't even get me started on "ten years too soon". so, i guess what i am saying is that i have tried to ride for the man's whole catalogue and failed, maybe that's a thread in itself "bands you tried to ride for the entire catalogue."

its kinda hard, near impossible to pick a group or artists that had at least a 10 year plus career without some duds. i guess donny hathaway never put out anything sub-par but he only had like 5 albums and two of them were live joints. surely had he kept producing music in the 80's it would have been "adult contemporary" style...

ok, i have it. steely dan. i like every one of thier albums including the last two and the live records. mind you, "everything must go" had some serious weak points... ok, change my answer again, it's donald fagen, i love all of his solo records, singles, b-sides, etc.

In response to Rootless, I named the 5 greatest Bay Area bands, not candidates for I celebrate their entire catalog.

• duly noted

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Entire cat: no question, Swing Out Sister.

Almost 30 years and not a dud track, never mind album.
    From shiny dance-pop to moody jazzers to glittering loungecore, it's ALL good.

Most cat: EBTG

Half cat: Teh Lizzy, but their 1/2 greater than anybody's whole canon.

Part cat: Damned

No cat: Dylan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I celebrate Sade's entire catalog. Her voice is heavenly.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

volumen said:

Kool and the Gang : Even when they got pop/disco it was still better than a lot of stuff out there. Still kicking it and hits galore.

I'll second this particular sentiment as it is rare. Get Down On It is funky, and for pop, I really like Celebration. Not even guilty.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    billbradley said:
    I celebrate Sade's entire catalog. Her voice is heavenly.

I was gonna say Sade but i dont ever return to the last album.
    Soldier of Love i hold the mayo on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    volumen said:

I'll second this particular sentiment as it is rare. Get Down On It is funky, and for pop, I really like Celebration. Not even guilty.

What song from Forever would you play out?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Sly and the Family Stone
    Santana
    Grateful Dead
    Steve Miller Band

Merl Saunders
    Escovedos (Pete Thomas Shelia)
    Aposento Alto
    Tower Of Power
    Sly & Family Stone

And a token rock band for 6 Jefferson Airplane.
    CCR, to me, has lots of fun radio songs, but no depth.

batmon said:
    Duderonomy said:
    volumen said:

What song from Forever would you play out?

OK, ok, strike them from the list - I don't celebrate their entirety, but when they went pop they still had good stuff.

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

I ride. Also, The Pixies (up until the recent EPs they just put out which I haven't heard).

Oh shit, good call. I'm not the biggest fan of Trompe Le Monde, but I feel like it's a pretty solid album as long as I'm not comparing it to their earlier material.

Also, everyone always sleeps on how super-good the Come On Pilgrim EP is! elevator lady elevator lady elevator lady elevator lady lady levitate me. Bitch broke up with me and now I hate that song, but it's fucking good as hell.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    eddie bo
    van halen w/dlr
    zep minus coda and itod
    the meters
    flower traveling band
    aphex
    congos
    squarepusher
    remarc
    underground resistance
    king tubby in general

ps
    burzum and carol kaye in the same post is the meaning of diverse volumeean-respect!

• Jimi Hendrix. You can't blame him for the occasional flotsam released after he died.

Michael Hurley.

Amon Duul.

Cheater Slicks.

Anne Briggs.

Captain Beefheart.

Dead Moon.

Dead C.

Overhang Party.

Jim Shepard.

Them.

Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments.

VU. Because "Squeeze" DOES NOT COUNT.

LazarusOblong said:

Absolutely.

And to clarify about when I say I celebrate the whole catalog, I mean it in the strictest sense. No bad tracks. Not one. Even my least favorite are OK.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    jimi hendrix
    bob marley

i can tolerate most beatles songs

unfortunately, that is all

tripledouble said:
    jimi hendrix
    bob marley

i can tolerate most beatles songs

unfortunately, that is all

That's what makes it such an interesting topic, I think. How many artists maintain that level of consistent quality that there's not a single bad track?

And stepping out of strictly artist territory, surely there are those who ride for Lee Perry?

David Axelrod. I even like the new stuff he did on MoWax;

Fugazi

Not that every single track is a sureshot, but pretty damned close.

LaserWolf said:

CCR, to me, has lots of fun radio songs, but no depth.

Ouch. I would disagree. Sure "Looking out my back door" is a fun diddy but it's also creative lyrically. Everyone thought is was about drugs even though Fogerty says it's almost a kids song. The fact that it means different things to different people give it depth IMO. I think they are the kind of group that seem simple but really there is more to it. They covered social issue as well as fun pop songs and heartbreak. I would call that depth.

The Beatles have a similar things going where they have a lot of sing along diddys but if your a musician you know how good they are playing and it takes talent to put out hit after hit like that and speak to such a large fan base. Even if it is in a simple manner sometimes.

No, I'm not saying CCR are as good as the Beatles. Everybody calm down.

DB_Cooper said:
    LazarusOblong said:

Absolutely.

And to clarify about when I say I celebrate the whole catalog, I mean it in the strictest sense. No bad tracks. Not one. Even my least favorite are OK.

That changes things a little. Pretty hard to live up to. Even the best bands make some self indulgent stuff on a lark. Or the ballad the record company forced them to do.