Is this rhodes loop a sample? (sample spotting-related)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
Hey guys, doing a favor for a friend, wondering if anyone can ID this rhodes loop. It sounds mega familiar to me but I can't place it. Catalyst? Kenny Barron? Lonnie Liston Smith??

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Hey guys, doing a favor for a friend, wondering if anyone can ID this rhodes loop. It sounds mega familiar to me but I can't place it. Catalyst? Kenny Barron? Lonnie Liston Smith??

Sounds a lot like the pre song riff from Bob James' All Around Town live LP before going into Angela....

EDIT:

I don't think it was sampled from a record...they have credits for a dude playing the Rhodes on the soundcloud for the track....

written by Jesse Boykins III
    produced by Machinedrum & Jesse Boykins III
    Love Apparatus Out April 22nd

Aaron Hardin - Rhodes
    Steve Wyreman - Guitar

Artwork by Juan Carlos Pagan
    Photo by King Texas

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    hilarious considering the artist's own people reached out to me. I thought the way the loop is clipped - it's slightly off, if you listen closely - sounded clearly like a sample, especially with whatever effect is making it sound like a de-tuned SP1200.

well, thank you for pointing out what was in plain sight!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    hilarious considering the artist's own people reached out to me. I thought the way the loop is clipped - it's slightly off, if you listen closely - sounded clearly like a sample, especially with whatever effect is making it sound like a de-tuned SP1200.

well, thank you for pointing out what was in plain sight!

Hahahaha....glad to help.

I miss shit what is in plain site all the fucking time.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    , if you listen closely - sounded clearly like a sample, especially with whatever effect is making it sound like a de-tuned SP1200.
    I recorded an emulator (cant remember the if it was a nord or another keyboard) a while back that used a plug in that was efficiently a noise gate that acted on how fast the key was hit, so if you pressed the key gently it would have no effect, but if you pressed the key fast/hard it would clip the sound which was meant to from memory emulate something to do with some old electric pianos that distorted/cut out when musicians went too hard on them. Might be something similar here?